Monitor "resolution"

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Alan Justice, Aug 14, 2004.

  1. Alan Justice

    Alan Justice Guest

    I will buy a new computer for Photoshopping scanned slides for printing, and
    would like to know what is important for monitor characteristics. I'm
    confused about the terminology for "dot pitch" versus "pixels" versus
    "resolution."

    Pixels. Picture elements. Fine. When I look at one of my CRT monitors (12
    years old) very close up, I see red, green, and blue dots. Is each dot a
    pixel? Or is it a pixel a group of 3? When I look at a newer monitor (6
    years old) I see vertical lines of red, green, and blue. But each line
    appears wavy from top to bottom at regular intervals (sine wave of
    brightness?) . I calculate there are about 1600 sets of 3 going across, and
    it's a 1600x1200 resolution monitor. So a pixel must be a group of 3 lines
    across and one wave up & down. Fine. When I set it to 800x600, does that
    mean that 2 adjacent groups of the 3 colors (pixel?) will be displayed the
    same? And how does it work if I set it to 1280x1024. Doesn't it have to be
    an even divisor of 1600x1200?

    Dot pitch. Doesn't this determine resolution? The smaller the dp (distance
    between pixels), the higher the resolution, right? Then why can two 19"
    monitors from the same manufacturer, both with 0.25 mm dp, have different
    resolutions (1600x1200 vs. 1920x1440)?

    And how does all this affect ability to determine image sharpness in
    Photoshop? Can't I just enlarge the image on screen to see its inherent
    sharpness, or is it only with a high resolution monitor that I could tell
    the difference?

    --
    - Alan Justice

    Alan Justice, Aug 14, 2004

  2. > "Alan Justice" <> wrote

    > Pixels. Picture elements. Fine. When I look at one of my CRT monitors

    (12
    > years old) very close up, I see red, green, and blue dots. Is each dot a
    > pixel? Or is it a pixel a group of 3? When I look at a newer monitor (6
    > years old) I see vertical lines of red, green, and blue. But each line
    > appears wavy from top to bottom at regular intervals (sine wave of
    > brightness?) . I calculate there are about 1600 sets of 3 going across,

    and
    > it's a 1600x1200 resolution monitor. So a pixel must be a group of 3

    lines
    > across and one wave up & down. Fine. When I set it to 800x600, does that
    > mean that 2 adjacent groups of the 3 colors (pixel?) will be displayed the
    > same? And how does it work if I set it to 1280x1024. Doesn't it have to

    be
    > an even divisor of 1600x1200?

    On an LCD, each RGB cluster is a pixel. On a CRT, the pixels are larger than
    the dot clusters, and somewhat intentionally blurry. The pixel rows on a CRT
    are determined by where the electron beams scan, and the columns are
    determined by how fast the digital to analog converter values change during
    the scan. The pixels therefore have nothing to do with the dot cluster size,
    except that the latter places a limit on how small the pixels can possibly
    be before they no longer land on all three colors.

    > Dot pitch. Doesn't this determine resolution? The smaller the dp

    (distance
    > between pixels), the higher the resolution, right? Then why can two 19"
    > monitors from the same manufacturer, both with 0.25 mm dp, have different
    > resolutions (1600x1200 vs. 1920x1440)?

    Probably a scan rate limitation. In general, you want to keep the vertical
    scan rate up above 70Hz. The threshold below which the eye starts to detect
    flicker is quite sharp, and varies from person to person, and is also quite
    a bit higher for peripheral vision. I can't see flicker at 72Hz, but can at
    68Hz.

    > And how does all this affect ability to determine image sharpness in
    > Photoshop? Can't I just enlarge the image on screen to see its inherent
    > sharpness, or is it only with a high resolution monitor that I could tell
    > the difference?

    Of course you can enlarge the image. If you view at 100%, then you may not
    see the entire image at once, but you're seeing one image pixel per screen
    pixel. If the monitor (or your eyes) are a little blurry, going up to 200%
    or 300% will make it even easier to see how sharp the image is.

    --

    Ciao, Paul D. DeRocco
    Paul mailto:p

    Paul D. DeRocco, Aug 15, 2004