    try, TV repair shops or what?

    Lee
    Remember Noel in the addy
    Lee, Nov 5, 2003

  2. Lee

    Kenny Guest

    I do some monitor repairs, I'm a fully qualified TV engineer. Main problem
    with monitors is getting a circuit diagram for it, many faults can't be
    diagnosed and fixed without it. Best bet is a good TV engineer, keep clear
    of the cowboys. BTW what is the make, model, FCC ID number on it and what
    is the fault? Is it dead, stuck in standby or what?

    --

    Kenny

    Kenny, Nov 5, 2003

  3. Lee

    Kenny Guest

    Meant to add check your warranty terms carefully. Many people think their
    warranty runs out after 1 year when in fact it is 3 years. Also here in the
    UK we have the "Sale Of Goods Act" which states that goods should be
    expected to last a reasonable length of time regardless of warranty terms.
    Other countries probably have similar consumer law. What is "reasonable"
    may depend on the type of goods, price paid etc. For example it's unlikely
    you could demand a repair or replacement of a 3 year old toaster but for an
    expensive monitor you possibly could!

    --

    Kenny

    Kenny, Nov 5, 2003
  4. Lee

    Lee Guest

    On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 07:40:34 -0000, "Kenny" <>
    wrote:

    >I do some monitor repairs, I'm a fully qualified TV engineer. Main problem
    >with monitors is getting a circuit diagram for it, many faults can't be
    >diagnosed and fixed without it. Best bet is a good TV engineer, keep clear
    >of the cowboys. BTW what is the make, model, FCC ID number on it and what
    >is the fault? Is it dead, stuck in standby or what?

    It has lines running from right down to left (or vice-versa, I guess)
    and has a real green cast to it.

    It is a Dell Ultrascan P991. I'm too tire tonight to look at the FCC
    ID, will check in tomorrow. (G)

    Lee
    Remember Noel in the addy
    Lee, Nov 5, 2003
  5. Lee

    Lee Guest

    On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 03:23:06 -0500, Navin R. Johnson
    <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 00:18:31 -0500, Lee <> wrote:
    >
    >First, you do know that you could replace it with a nice new flat screen
    >monitor (KDS XF-9b) for under $200, right?

    This WAS a nice flat screen a couple of years ago. Dell Ultrascan
    P991. It seems to young to have gone bad, and was expensive when I
    bought it.

    Lee
    Remember Noel in the addy
    Lee, Nov 5, 2003
  6. Lee

    techshare Guest

    High end?! This model sells for less than $100 (if it sells at all) on Ebay.
    I get calls from cheap SOB's like you about monitor repairs about once a
    month. I always tell them to quit being so cheap and get with the times! You
    REPLACE broken monitors nowadays.

    Even most new monitors under warranty will be replaced by manufacturer if
    they ever break in the warranty period!

    techshare, Nov 5, 2003
  7. Lee

    Lee Guest

    On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 10:23:10 -0500, "techshare" <>
    wrote:

    >High end?! This model sells for less than $100 (if it sells at all) on Ebay.

    I said AT THE TIME it was purchased. It was, at the time, the best
    monitor offered by Dell.

    >I get calls from cheap SOB's like you

    I see you're still the same unmitigated asshole, and with a reading
    comprehension problem to boot.

    As for the monitor, too many of these things are ending up in
    landfills for want of what may be a simple repair.

    Lee
    Remember Noel in the addy
    Lee, Nov 5, 2003
  8. Lee

    techshare Guest

    Spend less time posting in this group ... more time making money to buy a
    replacement monitor ... less time calling service businesses and wasting
    their time!

    techshare, Nov 5, 2003
  9. Lee

    Kenny Guest

    Some CRT's have discrete components driving the 3 RGB guns, it may be a
    short in the green channel. Some have a single IC driving all 3, it may be
    that. It may also be the supply voltage to this area. Finally it may be a
    faulty CRT, especially if it a Philip's type, I keep clear of anything with
    Philip's name on it. I see a lot of Sanyo, Panasonic and obviously Philip's
    own TV's with faulty CRT's, usually just out of warranty!

    --

    Kenny

    Kenny, Nov 5, 2003
  10. On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 00:18:31 -0500, Lee <> wrote:

    >Hi folks,
    >Do any of your shop owners out there do monitor repairs?
    >
    >I can't seem to find anyone in my area that does it. *I* sure don't.
    >
    >I've got a high-end 19-in monitor that's out of warranty. Who do I
    >try, TV repair shops or what?

    Find one that does it as a specialty, or has some monitor warranties.
    I used to do this a lot when I did TV repair, but it became a very
    iffy venture, and the boss decided to stop doing it. We learned months
    later that one of our parts suppliers was selling sub-standard HV
    transistors, with puny semiconductor materials within the outside
    package.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Nov 5, 2003
  11. On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 18:29:35 -0000, "Kenny" <>
    wrote:

    >Some CRT's have discrete components driving the 3 RGB guns, it may be a
    >short in the green channel. Some have a single IC driving all 3, it may be
    >that. It may also be the supply voltage to this area. Finally it may be a
    >faulty CRT, especially if it a Philip's type, I keep clear of anything with
    >Philip's name on it. I see a lot of Sanyo, Panasonic and obviously Philip's
    >own TV's with faulty CRT's, usually just out of warranty!

    Some monitors with Samsung CRT's in North America also had very big
    CRT problems. I agree with your preliminary diagnosis, Kenny; as well,
    it may be worthwhile to post on sci.electronics.repair, with the make,
    model, year, and FCC ID. Here's their FAQ, by the way; Kenny, you may
    be interested in this, if you aren't aware of it already.

    http://www.repairfaq.org

    Tom
    Tom MacIntyre, Nov 5, 2003
  12. On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 10:23:10 -0500, "techshare" <>
    wrote:

    >High end?! This model sells for less than $100 (if it sells at all) on Ebay.
    >I get calls from cheap SOB's like you about monitor repairs about once a
    >month. I always tell them to quit being so cheap and get with the times! You
    >REPLACE broken monitors nowadays.
    >
    >Even most new monitors under warranty will be replaced by manufacturer if
    >they ever break in the warranty period!

    Sorry, I disagree, and I was in the business until a little over a
    year ago. The symptoms he describes may possibly be repaired for less
    than $60 US. Why is he cheap for wanting to repair rather than help
    with the landfill/pollution problem.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Nov 5, 2003
  13. On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 10:39:15 -0500, Lee <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 10:23:10 -0500, "techshare" <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>High end?! This model sells for less than $100 (if it sells at all) on Ebay.

    >I said AT THE TIME it was purchased. It was, at the time, the best
    >monitor offered by Dell.
    >
    >>I get calls from cheap SOB's like you

    >I see you're still the same unmitigated asshole, and with a reading
    >comprehension problem to boot.
    >

    >As for the monitor, too many of these things are ending up in
    >landfills for want of what may be a simple repair.

    Good attitude...thanks, Lee.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Nov 5, 2003
  14. Lee

    Kenny Guest

    Another good link for monitor repair:
    http://www.anatekcorp.com/faq/monitor.htm
    and a more general one:
    http://www.avrepair.info/
    though this would be mainly for UK products.

    --

    Kenny

    Kenny, Nov 5, 2003
  15. Lee

    Lee Guest

    Lee, Nov 6, 2003
  16. Lee

    Lee Guest

    On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 11:42:51 -0500, "techshare" <>
    wrote:

    >Spend less time posting in this group ... more time making money to buy a
    >replacement monitor ... less time calling service businesses and wasting
    >their time!

    Just what exactly is your major malfunction?

    1. I post a couple of times. You post constantly, trying to start
    arguments.
    2. It isn't about the money.
    3. I hope you treat your customers as you do folks here, you'll be out
    of business shortly. I'm betting you won't want to tell us your
    business name and location, but I can understand why you'd want to
    hide.

    Lee
    Remember Noel in the addy
    Lee, Nov 6, 2003
  17. Lee

    Lee Guest

    On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 20:34:06 GMT, Tom MacIntyre
    <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 18:29:35 -0000, "Kenny" <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Some CRT's have discrete components driving the 3 RGB guns, it may be a
    >>short in the green channel. Some have a single IC driving all 3, it may be
    >>that. It may also be the supply voltage to this area. Finally it may be a
    >>faulty CRT, especially if it a Philip's type, I keep clear of anything with
    >>Philip's name on it. I see a lot of Sanyo, Panasonic and obviously Philip's
    >>own TV's with faulty CRT's, usually just out of warranty!

    >Some monitors with Samsung CRT's in North America also had very big
    >CRT problems. I agree with your preliminary diagnosis, Kenny; as well,
    >it may be worthwhile to post on sci.electronics.repair, with the make,
    >model, year, and FCC ID. Here's their FAQ, by the way; Kenny, you may
    >be interested in this, if you aren't aware of it already.
    >
    >http://www.repairfaq.org
    >
    >Tom

    Thanks, Tom. I appreciate the responses from you and Kenny. Unlike
    Techshare the Troll, you seem to know what you're talking about.

    Lee
    Remember Noel in the addy
    Lee, Nov 6, 2003
  18. Lee

    techshare Guest

    He's talking about a new flat panel monitor .... but if you still wanna be a
    total heeb about this ... here is one you could probably get on FleaBay for
    a little more than $50! Now, who says I don't help people out ;)

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2762845785&category=3696

    Just saving that last shop you call from the hassle of explaining to you how
    unprofitable monitor repair is.

    techshare, Nov 6, 2003
  19. On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 16:05:18 -0500, "techshare" <>
    wrote:

    >...and you are full of hops! If they were worth repairing, I wouldn't be
    >getting every other cheap ass in town calling me saying "You don't fix
    >monitors?! Well who does?! I've called everyone in the book!"

    Full of hops or not, I know what I am talking about. I still
    participate in some electronics repair tip sharing groups, and, while
    they are less profitable than they were (the same is true of most/all
    consumer electronics in general), it is still possible to make some
    money in this, as is evidenced by the number of group members who
    still do this work. You're basing your opinion on one town...yours.
    There's a big world out there.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Nov 6, 2003
  20. On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 22:31:28 -0500, "techshare" <>
    wrote:

    >He's talking about a new flat panel monitor .... but if you still wanna be a
    >total heeb about this ... here is one you could probably get on FleaBay for
    >a little more than $50! Now, who says I don't help people out ;)
    >
    >http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2762845785&category=3696

    It went for a bit under $103 USD.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Nov 6, 2003