Monitor Recommendation

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Troy, Nov 19, 2003.

  1. Troy

    Troy Guest

    I work for a company that develops printer drivers and have been
    assigned the fun task of choosing a monitor for the computer that we use
    for color correction and profile generation work.

    So, I headed out to Google and Google Groups and found this group. I'll
    admit I broke the lurk first/post later rule, but did spend some time
    skimming through thousands of previous messages to determine two things.
    First, most people in this group seem to know what they're talking about.
    Second, most people in this group are friendly to newbies. So, I'm
    taking a chance here by jumping into a few interesting-looking threads
    and posting a question so quickly. :)

    What we need is a decent monitor that can not only be calibrated
    accurately, but not lose its calibration very easily. My prior research
    did uncover a thread from some time ago regarding this very subject, and
    I quickly determined that CRT, not LCD, is the way to go for this.

    So, what monitor(s) would you recommend we look into? The budget for
    this hasn't been decided yet, so I'll probably just propose a few
    monitors of varying price ranges with the pros and cons of each
    (probably one that's under $500, one under $1000, and one ultimate
    monitor with price not being an object).

    Please respond via email because I'm too lazy to come back here. Just
    kidding. Even though this appears to be a somewhat high-volume group,
    I've subscribed to it. Thanks in advance for any help you might be able
    to offer.

    --
    Troy
    Troy, Nov 19, 2003

  2. Troy

    Graham Guest

    Trinitron 19" or more. Flat

    Graham, Nov 19, 2003

  3. Troy

    Troy Guest

    On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 00:55:10 GMT, "Graham" <> wrote:

    > Trinitron 19" or more. Flat

    Thanks.

    How much would the dot pitch affect color work? Would it be worth
    spending the money on a .22mm dot pitch monitor, or would .24mm be good
    enough?

    --
    Troy
    Troy, Nov 19, 2003
  4. Troy

    Flycaster Guest

    "Troy" <> wrote in message
    [snip]
    > So, what monitor(s) would you recommend we look into? The budget for
    > this hasn't been decided yet, so I'll probably just propose a few
    > monitors of varying price ranges with the pros and cons of each

    > (probably one that's under $500

    LaCie 19".

    >, one under $1000,

    LaCie 22".

    > and one ultimate
    > monitor with price not being an object).

    Barco.

    Flycaster, Nov 19, 2003
  5. Troy

    steve Guest

    Do current Trinitron CRTs still have the 'ghost' line(s) that run
    horizontally across the tube?

    I believe that the line(s) are a result of the way the tube is
    constructed, and I have noticed them in all trinitron tubes 17" and
    above -- although I stopped paying attention a few years ago since I
    have not been shopping for a new CRT. In fact I used to use this method
    to determine if a tube was a trinitron :) I recall a 17" tube had one
    line about half way down the screen.

    I am told the brain 'tunes out' the lines after a while, but I never
    used a trinitron tube long enough to know if this is true.

    The lines are most noticeable with a white or similar high brightness
    display on the screen, but once you spot them and know where to look you
    can find them when displaying other images.

    Perhaps this is one of those things that people only notice if they know
    to look for it -- like the tiny ding in a car's paint job that only the
    owner notices.....

    steve

    ps welcome to the group.

    steve, Nov 19, 2003
  6. Troy

    ThomasH Guest

    Troy wrote:

    > I work for a company that develops printer drivers and have been
    > assigned the fun task of choosing a monitor for the computer that we use
    > for color correction and profile generation work.

    Actually in recent discussions we have discovered that the
    good contemporary LCD screens have now such good quality
    that people use them whenever color stability is an issue.

    I would not recommend CRT at all, but if you still like to
    go for the conventional technology, lookup at dpreview.com
    a news about a special current CRT by NEC/Mitsubishi, which is
    the only CRT capable to support the Adobe color gamut.

    http://www.dpreview.com/news/0310/03100701nec22adobemon.asp

    I do not think that the generic Trinitron recommendation is current.
    Sony has announced that they are aborting the production of CRT's
    completely. Besides, once the Triniton patents run out, especially
    Mitsubishi provided Trinitron-like masks and made best monitors
    among the recent models.

    Thomas

    ThomasH, Nov 19, 2003
  7. Troy

    Rick Guest

    "Troy" <> wrote in message news:...
    > So, what monitor(s) would you recommend we look into? The budget for
    > this hasn't been decided yet, so I'll probably just propose a few
    > monitors of varying price ranges with the pros and cons of each
    > (probably one that's under $500,

    Forget this price range for any kind of serious graphics work.

    > one under $1000,

    NEC-Mitsubishi 2070SB. Mitsubishi's tube is brigher than the
    Trinitron (= better color gamut), plus they use better quality
    supporting components so the monitor will last longer than an
    equivalent Sony.

    > and one ultimate monitor with price not being an object).

    Barco, or, if you were really kidding about price not being an
    object, an Eizo F980 (if you can find one) or their newer T966.

    Rick
    Rick, Nov 19, 2003
  8. Troy

    Rafe B. Guest

    On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 01:54:42 GMT, steve <>
    wrote:

    >Do current Trinitron CRTs still have the 'ghost' line(s) that run
    >horizontally across the tube?
    >
    >I believe that the line(s) are a result of the way the tube is
    >constructed, and I have noticed them in all trinitron tubes 17" and
    >above -- although I stopped paying attention a few years ago since I
    >have not been shopping for a new CRT. In fact I used to use this method
    >to determine if a tube was a trinitron :) I recall a 17" tube had one
    >line about half way down the screen.
    >
    >I am told the brain 'tunes out' the lines after a while, but I never
    >used a trinitron tube long enough to know if this is true.
    >
    >The lines are most noticeable with a white or similar high brightness
    >display on the screen, but once you spot them and know where to look you
    >can find them when displaying other images.
    >
    >Perhaps this is one of those things that people only notice if they know
    >to look for it -- like the tiny ding in a car's paint job that only the
    >owner notices.....

    Those lines are there, and never once bothered or
    distracted me. They're approximately one pixel high
    and fairly faint.

    There are usually two such lines, one near the top
    of the screen, and one near the bottom.

    Given all the other obvious advantages of aperture
    grille technology, the lines are simply insignificant.

    rafe b.
    http://www.terrapinphoto.com
    Rafe B., Nov 19, 2003
  9. Troy

    Flycaster Guest

    Just for your information, LaCie uses a repackaged high-end Mitsubishi tube,
    with improved calibration software.

    Flycaster, Nov 19, 2003
  10. Troy

    Flycaster Guest

    "ThomasH" <> wrote in message
    > Actually in recent discussions we have discovered that the
    > good contemporary LCD screens have now such good quality
    > that people use them whenever color stability is an issue.
    >
    > I would not recommend CRT at all, but if you still like to
    > go for the conventional technology, lookup at dpreview.com
    > a news about a special current CRT by NEC/Mitsubishi, which is
    > the only CRT capable to support the Adobe color gamut.

    All the folks I speak to that actually do this full-time for a living still
    use CRTs. Even color geeks like Bruce Fraser and the techs at Adobe will
    tell you that unless you are willing to spend thousands on an LCD, even a
    mid-level CRT can be color calibrated more accurately, and there is no
    comparison in contrast accuracy.

    I look at this stuff all the time since my LaCie is getting long in the
    tooth, but I'll end up buying another CRT unless something unbelievable
    comes out in the next 6 months. LCD's *are* getting much better, but
    they're still not there yet, at least at anything resembling affordable.

    Flycaster, Nov 19, 2003
  11. According to steve <>:
    > Do current Trinitron CRTs still have the 'ghost' line(s) that run
    > horizontally across the tube?

    Yep; they have to, as you mention below. On Sony monitors, 15-inchers will
    have one mask line about 2/5 of the way up the screen, while 17" and 19" will
    have two. I haven't owned anything bigger than 19", but I believe everything
    after that has only two as well.

    > I am told the brain 'tunes out' the lines after a while, but I never
    > used a trinitron tube long enough to know if this is true.

    The line of text I'm typing right now follows that line on my screen, but they
    have never bothered me. I agree with Rafe in saying that the little lines are
    insignificant compared to the quality improvement of aperture mask (Trinitron
    and others) over shadow mask (cheaper monitors). Inspect a shadow mask up
    close with a 50% grey fill and you'll see little chain-link patterns; these
    just make the picture look horrible in my opinion. Trinitron monitors have
    perfectly square pixels without such patterns.

    --
    eth'nT
    http://www.hydrous.net
    Ethan Trewhitt, Nov 19, 2003
  12. Troy

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Graham wrote:

    > Trinitron 19" or more. Flat
    >

    > "Troy" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I work for a company that develops printer drivers and have been
    >>assigned the fun task of choosing a monitor for the computer that we use
    >>for color correction and profile generation work.
    >>
    >>So, I headed out to Google and Google Groups and found this group. I'll
    >>admit I broke the lurk first/post later rule, but did spend some time
    >>skimming through thousands of previous messages to determine two things.
    >>First, most people in this group seem to know what they're talking about.
    >>Second, most people in this group are friendly to newbies. So, I'm
    >>taking a chance here by jumping into a few interesting-looking threads
    >>and posting a question so quickly. :)
    >>
    >>What we need is a decent monitor that can not only be calibrated
    >>accurately, but not lose its calibration very easily. My prior research
    >>did uncover a thread from some time ago regarding this very subject, and
    >>I quickly determined that CRT, not LCD, is the way to go for this.
    >>
    >>So, what monitor(s) would you recommend we look into? The budget for
    >>this hasn't been decided yet, so I'll probably just propose a few
    >>monitors of varying price ranges with the pros and cons of each
    >>(probably one that's under $500, one under $1000, and one ultimate
    >>monitor with price not being an object).
    >>
    >>Please respond via email because I'm too lazy to come back here. Just
    >>kidding. Even though this appears to be a somewhat high-volume group,
    >>I've subscribed to it. Thanks in advance for any help you might be able
    >>to offer.
    >>
    >>--
    >>Troy

    IF you can stand the little lines across the screen at 1/3 and 2/3. I
    can't.
    Ron Hunter, Nov 19, 2003
  13. Troy

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Troy wrote:

    > On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 00:55:10 GMT, "Graham" <> wrote:
    >

    >>Trinitron 19" or more. Flat

    > Thanks.
    >
    > How much would the dot pitch affect color work? Would it be worth
    > spending the money on a .22mm dot pitch monitor, or would .24mm be good
    > enough?

    YES, definitely!
    The finer the dot pitch, the better.
    Ron Hunter, Nov 19, 2003
  14. Troy

    HRosita Guest

    HRosita, Nov 19, 2003
  15. Troy

    Trabajador Guest

    A number of individuals and companies who require colour accuracy and
    stability use the Sony Artisan 21-inch. It features a built-in hood, and
    colour management accessories. Around 1500USD.
    Trabajador, Nov 19, 2003
  16. Troy

    Troy Guest

    On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 04:31:20 -0600, Ron Hunter <> wrote:

    > IF you can stand the little lines across the screen at 1/3 and 2/3. I
    > can't.

    I've got a Trinitron at home, so they won't bother me at all. :)

    --
    Troy
    Troy, Nov 19, 2003
  17. Troy

    Troy Guest

    Thanks to everybody for your help. I'm going through all the
    recommendations now. I'd love to have one of those Barcos, but I don't
    think I can get a $20,000 purchase approved. :)

    I'm leaning towards either a LaCie or the NEC-Mitsubishi 2070SB. The
    Eizo monitors also look nice, so I'm keeping those in mind.

    Are the Eizo T966 and T766 models basically the same, but just different
    sizes?

    --
    Troy
    Troy, Nov 19, 2003
  18. Troy

    Rick Guest

    "Troy" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Thanks to everybody for your help. I'm going through all the
    > recommendations now. I'd love to have one of those Barcos, but I don't
    > think I can get a $20,000 purchase approved. :)
    >
    > I'm leaning towards either a LaCie or the NEC-Mitsubishi 2070SB.

    Both use the same Mitsubishi CRT. The LaCie has a hood and
    optional hardware calibration (although I believe both are now
    available from Mitsubishi as well).

    > The Eizo monitors also look nice, so I'm keeping those in mind.
    >
    > Are the Eizo T966 and T766 models basically the same, but just different
    > sizes?

    Basically. The T966 has a higher bandwidth to accomodate its
    larger size/resolution. If you can find one of their older F980's
    it's the best monitor Eizo ever made.

    Rick
    Rick, Nov 19, 2003
  19. Troy

    Troy Guest

    On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 17:49:34 -0800, "Flycaster" <> wrote:

    > "Troy" <> wrote in message
    > [snip]
    > > So, what monitor(s) would you recommend we look into? The budget for
    > > this hasn't been decided yet, so I'll probably just propose a few
    > > monitors of varying price ranges with the pros and cons of each

    > > (probably one that's under $500

    > LaCie 19".
    >
    > >, one under $1000,

    > LaCie 22".
    >
    > > and one ultimate
    > > monitor with price not being an object).

    > Barco.

    I'm seriously looking at the LaCie monitors now. They look very nice,
    and the hardware calibration is a big plus. Plus, they seem reasonably
    priced.

    I have one last set of questions (for now at least). Is there a major
    quality difference between the electron22blue IV and the electron19blue
    IV, or is the main difference the size and the connectors on the electron22blue
    IV?

    What are the USB ports and the second VGA port used for? Are they for
    calibrating and, if so, what advantage do they have over a single VGA
    port?

    A 19 inch should be sufficient for what we're going to be doing, so I
    need to know if the extra $350 is justified.

    --
    Troy
    Troy, Nov 19, 2003
  20. Troy

    Flycaster Guest

    "Troy" <> wrote in message
    [snip]
    > I have one last set of questions (for now at least). Is there a major
    > quality difference between the electron22blue IV and the electron19blue
    > IV, or is the main difference the size and the connectors on the

    electron22blue
    > IV?

    Quality, no. Size, yes.

    > What are the USB ports and the second VGA port used for? Are they for
    > calibrating and, if so, what advantage do they have over a single VGA
    > port?

    They are there just for convenience.

    > A 19 inch should be sufficient for what we're going to be doing, so I
    > need to know if the extra $350 is justified.

    If 19" works, then no, it is not. Once again, shop these on the
    internet...the price (and shipping) varies quite a bit.

    Flycaster, Nov 19, 2003