    I'm most concerned with the color fidelity and gamut of the Samsung guessing
    the Apple display is the gold standard (at least for my needs).. many
    thanks.. all help gratefully appreciated...
    LawrenceT, Nov 3, 2007

  2. LawrenceT

    Roy G Guest

    "LawrenceT" <> wrote in message
    news:_JZWi.7$...
    > Folks,
    > I'd like to buy a new monitor for my Photoshop work and have visually
    > compared the Samsung 206BW to the Apple 20" Cinema Display (side by side
    > comparision in a big box retailer)... the Apple seems to be better
    > (certainly the design is tres cool) but the expense is daunting... has
    > anyone come across a detailed technical evaluation of either monitor ?..
    > I'm most concerned with the color fidelity and gamut of the Samsung
    > guessing the Apple display is the gold standard (at least for my needs)..
    > many thanks.. all help gratefully appreciated...

    Strange as it may seem, I believe that the Apple Display Screen is also made
    by Samsung.

    However it is most certainly not a Samsung "B" screen.

    Have you looked at any of the Samsung "T" models?
    I think you will find they are much better, and more expensive.

    But the software and instructions are in such very quaint "Engrish", that
    you won't really be sure what any of it means for at least the first week of
    use.

    A month on from buying my Syncmaster 214T, which is now Calibrated and
    Profiled, I really am very happy with the image quality.

    The ability to rotate the screen for Portrait Format images, and have the
    program automatically rotated back into an upright orientation is great.

    Roy G
    Roy G, Nov 3, 2007

  3. LawrenceT

    Kinon O'Cann Guest

    "LawrenceT" <> wrote in message
    > Folks,
    > I'd like to buy a new monitor for my Photoshop work and have visually
    > compared the Samsung 206BW to the Apple 20" Cinema Display (side by side
    > comparision in a big box retailer)... the Apple seems to be better
    > (certainly the design is tres cool) but the expense is daunting... has
    > anyone come across a detailed technical evaluation of either monitor ?..
    > I'm most concerned with the color fidelity and gamut of the Samsung
    > guessing the Apple display is the gold standard (at least for my needs)..
    > many thanks.. all help gratefully appreciated...

    Forget brands, to a point. What's important is the type of panel in the
    display. Google "lcd panel types" and read up on the three different panel
    types, and you'll get pointed in the right direction. For photo editing,
    stick to an IPS or S-IPS type of panel since they offer the widest viewing
    angle, and best color and contrast. There's one reasonably priced IPS panel
    out there, too, the HP 2065. It's an IPS panel that really looks great. Not
    a lot of bells and whitles, just a superior image that, when calibrated, is
    excellent.

    I've looked at a few recently, and the best images I've seen are on the Eizo
    and NEC monitors. Really nice stuff, but very high priced. I have an HP at
    work, and it's excellent.
    Kinon O'Cann, Nov 3, 2007
  4. LawrenceT

    Rich Guest

    Re: Monitor Recommendation ? Samsung 206BW to the Apple 20" Cinema Display

    On Nov 3, 7:21 am, "LawrenceT" <> wrote:
    > Folks,
    > I'd like to buy a new monitor for my Photoshop work and have visually
    > compared the Samsung 206BW to the Apple 20" Cinema Display (side by side
    > comparision in a big box retailer)... the Apple seems to be better
    > (certainly the design is tres cool) but the expense is daunting... has
    > anyone come across a detailed technical evaluation of either monitor ?..
    > I'm most concerned with the color fidelity and gamut of the Samsung guessing
    > the Apple display is the gold standard (at least for my needs).. many
    > thanks.. all help gratefully appreciated...

    Why not find out which display Apple is rebranding and buy it for 1/2
    the price?
    Rich, Nov 3, 2007
  5. LawrenceT

    Kinon O'Cann Guest

    "Rich" <> wrote in message
    > On Nov 3, 7:21 am, "LawrenceT" <> wrote:
    >> Folks,
    >> I'd like to buy a new monitor for my Photoshop work and have visually
    >> compared the Samsung 206BW to the Apple 20" Cinema Display (side by side
    >> comparision in a big box retailer)... the Apple seems to be better
    >> (certainly the design is tres cool) but the expense is daunting... has
    >> anyone come across a detailed technical evaluation of either monitor ?..
    >> I'm most concerned with the color fidelity and gamut of the Samsung
    >> guessing
    >> the Apple display is the gold standard (at least for my needs).. many
    >> thanks.. all help gratefully appreciated...

    > Why not find out which display Apple is rebranding and buy it for 1/2
    > the price?

    I tried that. Trouble is, Samsung makes the panel, but the supporting
    electronics are of Apple design, so direct comparisons aren't always
    possible. In some cases they are, but I don't think this is one of them.
    Kinon O'Cann, Nov 3, 2007
  6. ? "Kinon O'Cann" <> ?????? ??? ??????

    > "LawrenceT" <> wrote in message
    > > Folks,
    > > I'd like to buy a new monitor for my Photoshop work and have visually
    > > compared the Samsung 206BW to the Apple 20" Cinema Display (side by side
    > > comparision in a big box retailer)... the Apple seems to be better
    > > (certainly the design is tres cool) but the expense is daunting... has
    > > anyone come across a detailed technical evaluation of either monitor ?..
    > > I'm most concerned with the color fidelity and gamut of the Samsung
    > > guessing the Apple display is the gold standard (at least for my

    needs)..
    > > many thanks.. all help gratefully appreciated...

    > Forget brands, to a point. What's important is the type of panel in the
    > display. Google "lcd panel types" and read up on the three different panel
    > types, and you'll get pointed in the right direction. For photo editing,
    > stick to an IPS or S-IPS type of panel since they offer the widest viewing
    > angle, and best color and contrast. There's one reasonably priced IPS

    panel
    > out there, too, the HP 2065. It's an IPS panel that really looks great.

    Not
    > a lot of bells and whitles, just a superior image that, when calibrated,

    is
    > excellent.
    >
    > I've looked at a few recently, and the best images I've seen are on the

    Eizo
    > and NEC monitors. Really nice stuff, but very high priced. I have an HP at
    > work, and it's excellent.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathode_ray_tube

    Read the future of CRT;-0
    Just my 2 cents....
    (I have still a miro 17"CRT because mainly it would be a spentthrift to
    change everything I own with latest technology.I have a new mouse, digital
    camera,camcorder,microwave oven,dvd player, cd player...IMHO, when's the
    time for a new monitor I'll pick a new one from what's available...)

    --
    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
    major in electrical engineering
    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios, Nov 4, 2007
  7. LawrenceT

    Rich Guest

    Re: Monitor Recommendation ? Samsung 206BW to the Apple 20" Cinema Display

    On Nov 4, 12:27 pm, "Tzortzakakis Dimitrios" <>
    wrote:
    > ? "Kinon O'Cann" <> ?????? ??? ??????news:xQ0Xi.843$sN.244@trndny02...
    >

    > > "LawrenceT" <> wrote in message
    > > > Folks,
    > > > I'd like to buy a new monitor for my Photoshop work and have visually
    > > > compared the Samsung 206BW to the Apple 20" Cinema Display (side by side
    > > > comparision in a big box retailer)... the Apple seems to be better
    > > > (certainly the design is tres cool) but the expense is daunting... has
    > > > anyone come across a detailed technical evaluation of either monitor ?..
    > > > I'm most concerned with the color fidelity and gamut of the Samsung
    > > > guessing the Apple display is the gold standard (at least for my

    > needs)..
    > > > many thanks.. all help gratefully appreciated...

    > > Forget brands, to a point. What's important is the type of panel in the
    > > display. Google "lcd panel types" and read up on the three different panel
    > > types, and you'll get pointed in the right direction. For photo editing,
    > > stick to an IPS or S-IPS type of panel since they offer the widest viewing
    > > angle, and best color and contrast. There's one reasonably priced IPS

    > panel
    > > out there, too, the HP 2065. It's an IPS panel that really looks great.

    > Not
    > > a lot of bells and whitles, just a superior image that, when calibrated,

    > is
    > > excellent.

    > > I've looked at a few recently, and the best images I've seen are on the

    > Eizo
    > > and NEC monitors. Really nice stuff, but very high priced. I have an HP at
    > > work, and it's excellent.

    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathode_ray_tube
    >
    > Read the future of CRT;-0
    > Just my 2 cents....
    > (I have still a miro 17"CRT because mainly it would be a spentthrift to
    > change everything I own with latest technology.I have a new mouse, digital
    > camera,camcorder,microwave oven,dvd player, cd player...IMHO, when's the
    > time for a new monitor I'll pick a new one from what's available...)
    >
    > --
    > Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
    > major in electrical engineering
    > mechanized infantry reservist
    > hordad AT otenet DOT gr

    LCDs are puke. Change the angle of your head when looking at it
    (maybe 5 degrees) and the illumination level is drastically altered.
    Good CRTs are FAR better, for a number of reasons, but they cost way
    more to ship (weight) from the Far East so the LCD killed them off.
    Rich, Nov 5, 2007
  8. LawrenceT

    John Turco Guest

    Re: Monitor Recommendation ? Samsung 206BW to the Apple 20" CinemaDisplay

    Rich wrote:

    <heavily edited for brevity>

    > LCDs are puke. Change the angle of your head when looking at it
    > (maybe 5 degrees) and the illumination level is drastically altered.

    Hello, Rich:

    We finally agree on something.

    Hallelujah, brother! <g>

    > Good CRTs are FAR better, for a number of reasons, but they cost way
    > more to ship (weight) from the Far East so the LCD killed them off.

    With large-screen TV sets, at least, I think it has something to do
    with both size >and< weight. It must be far harder and somewhat more
    expensive, to manufacture a really huge CRT, than an equivalent LCD
    or other flat panel device -- to say nothing, of how gigantic and
    heavy such a beast would be!

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>
    John Turco, Nov 10, 2007