monitor problem

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by me, Jul 18, 2005.

  1. me

    me Guest

    Ok, here is one I have never run across before--and it has happened to my
    own personal computer. This afternoon I went out for about two hours. When
    I got back my brother said--look at the monitor--when did that happen?
    Well, I looked--and what happened was really strange. The monitor has
    completely changed colors to a dark mixture of red, and blue--almost
    unrecognizable. Right now I have managed to play with the color mixture a
    little but it is still pretty bad. I have thought that maybe the video card
    might be going out--I did a little dusting this afternoon inside the
    computer with some canned air but don't think that would cause it. Right
    now the "Start button" is almost black and my virus scanner icon is orange
    when it should be red. The email program is a pretty shade of aqua blue.
    In short the color scheme is all crapped up and I have no idea why. Has
    anyone else run across this? The monitor is a Iilyama MF 8617E /T Vision
    Master. I am running Win XP Pro on a SoYo Dragon Ultra Motherboard, using
    the KT400 chipset which is running an Athlon 3000+ system using a 256MB
    GForce FX 5200 video card, and 512MB of DDR 333 PNY Memory with a 40Gb
    Seagate hard drive as primary Master and a DVD-RW and a DVD Rom on their own
    channel on a secondary master/slave configuration. I defrag about once a
    month, do virus scans about every day, never open emails that I consider
    suspicious, always quarantine suspicious file attachments into a separate
    folder for scanning prior to opening them. When I download a program or
    file I also save it to a special folder for scanning before the program/file
    is ever opened. I check for updates on my virus scanner every day, and keep
    the definitions updated. I am using McAfee Antivirus, but am considering a
    possible change to another vendor in the coming week to test some new
    software. I also use a firewall and always have it running. I have had
    very few false alarms and several probes. My IP changes with nearly each
    logon so that usually, no two Ips are the same, in order to make it
    difficult for hackers to find me.
    The last thing I did prior to leaving this afternoon was--I was playing a
    game of CIV3, and shut the game down, left the PC on and left and when I got
    back--the monitor problem.
    I also used the built-in monitor degausser to degauss the monitor and
    still nothing. I scanned for viruses also and found nothing. I am also
    using a good pop up blocker, and Lavasoft Adaware as well.

    Has anyone else experienced this or have any ideas for me?
    me, Jul 18, 2005

  2. me

    rainman Guest

    rainman, Jul 18, 2005

  3. me

    Chris Guest

    me wrote:
    > Ok, here is one I have never run across before--and it has happened to my
    > own personal computer. This afternoon I went out for about two hours. When
    > I got back my brother said--look at the monitor--when did that happen?
    > Well, I looked--and what happened was really strange. The monitor has
    > completely changed colors to a dark mixture of red, and blue--almost
    > unrecognizable. Right now I have managed to play with the color mixture a
    > little but it is still pretty bad. I have thought that maybe the video card
    > might be going out--I did a little dusting this afternoon inside the
    > computer with some canned air but don't think that would cause it. Right
    > now the "Start button" is almost black and my virus scanner icon is orange
    > when it should be red. The email program is a pretty shade of aqua blue.
    > In short the color scheme is all crapped up and I have no idea why. Has
    > anyone else run across this? The monitor is a Iilyama MF 8617E /T Vision
    > Master. I am running Win XP Pro on a SoYo Dragon Ultra Motherboard, using
    > the KT400 chipset which is running an Athlon 3000+ system using a 256MB
    > GForce FX 5200 video card, and 512MB of DDR 333 PNY Memory with a 40Gb
    > Seagate hard drive as primary Master and a DVD-RW and a DVD Rom on their own
    > channel on a secondary master/slave configuration. I defrag about once a
    > month, do virus scans about every day, never open emails that I consider
    > suspicious, always quarantine suspicious file attachments into a separate
    > folder for scanning prior to opening them. When I download a program or
    > file I also save it to a special folder for scanning before the program/file
    > is ever opened. I check for updates on my virus scanner every day, and keep
    > the definitions updated. I am using McAfee Antivirus, but am considering a
    > possible change to another vendor in the coming week to test some new
    > software. I also use a firewall and always have it running. I have had
    > very few false alarms and several probes. My IP changes with nearly each
    > logon so that usually, no two Ips are the same, in order to make it
    > difficult for hackers to find me.
    > The last thing I did prior to leaving this afternoon was--I was playing a
    > game of CIV3, and shut the game down, left the PC on and left and when I got
    > back--the monitor problem.
    > I also used the built-in monitor degausser to degauss the monitor and
    > still nothing. I scanned for viruses also and found nothing. I am also
    > using a good pop up blocker, and Lavasoft Adaware as well.
    >
    > Has anyone else experienced this or have any ideas for me?

    It's possible that your vid card is taking a shit. Try reseating it.
    Also had this problem twice on a customer's PC (similar anyway), no
    rhyme or reason. Reinstalled the drivers and things went back to
    normal. It happened again, reinstalled the drivers and things, again,
    went back to normal. It almost sounds like the drivers are corrupted
    and the system is reverting to VGA graphics mode. Are the icons
    resizing and such?
    Chris, Jul 18, 2005
  4. me

    me Guest

    no--no resized icons or anything. I did in fact discover the problem--the
    monitor itself crapped out on me--changed monitors and everything is
    fine....
    me, Jul 18, 2005
  5. On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 22:57:26 -0400, "me" <> wrote:

    >Ok, here is one I have never run across before--and it has happened to my
    >own personal computer. This afternoon I went out for about two hours. When
    >I got back my brother said--look at the monitor--when did that happen?
    >Well, I looked--and what happened was really strange. The monitor has
    >completely changed colors to a dark mixture of red, and blue--almost
    >unrecognizable. Right now I have managed to play with the color mixture a
    >little but it is still pretty bad. I have thought that maybe the video card
    >might be going out--I did a little dusting this afternoon inside the
    >computer with some canned air but don't think that would cause it. Right
    >now the "Start button" is almost black and my virus scanner icon is orange
    >when it should be red. The email program is a pretty shade of aqua blue.
    >In short the color scheme is all crapped up and I have no idea why. Has
    >anyone else run across this? The monitor is a Iilyama MF 8617E /T Vision
    >Master. I am running Win XP Pro on a SoYo Dragon Ultra Motherboard, using
    >the KT400 chipset which is running an Athlon 3000+ system using a 256MB
    >GForce FX 5200 video card, and 512MB of DDR 333 PNY Memory with a 40Gb
    >Seagate hard drive as primary Master and a DVD-RW and a DVD Rom on their own
    >channel on a secondary master/slave configuration. I defrag about once a
    >month, do virus scans about every day, never open emails that I consider
    >suspicious, always quarantine suspicious file attachments into a separate
    >folder for scanning prior to opening them. When I download a program or
    >file I also save it to a special folder for scanning before the program/file
    >is ever opened. I check for updates on my virus scanner every day, and keep
    >the definitions updated. I am using McAfee Antivirus, but am considering a
    >possible change to another vendor in the coming week to test some new
    >software. I also use a firewall and always have it running. I have had
    >very few false alarms and several probes. My IP changes with nearly each
    >logon so that usually, no two Ips are the same, in order to make it
    >difficult for hackers to find me.
    > The last thing I did prior to leaving this afternoon was--I was playing a
    >game of CIV3, and shut the game down, left the PC on and left and when I got
    >back--the monitor problem.
    > I also used the built-in monitor degausser to degauss the monitor and
    >still nothing. I scanned for viruses also and found nothing. I am also
    >using a good pop up blocker, and Lavasoft Adaware as well.
    >
    >Has anyone else experienced this or have any ideas for me?

    Since the monitor receives separate red, green, and blue signals, I'd
    suspect the video card or driver before the monitor, but...it could be
    convergence or a very strange CRT problem.

    Can you post a picture somewhere so we can see it, please? Thanks.

    Tom
    Tom MacIntyre, Jul 19, 2005
  6. On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 20:23:49 GMT, Barry Watzman
    <> wrote:

    >Sounds to me like you lost the green signal. Could be in the video
    >card, cable or monitor. Try another monitor with the same computer. Do
    >not start changing things until you do this, you could screw things up
    >for nothing.

    Just an FYI...I have a spare monitor that sees some use...a Viewsonic
    GS20 (I think), classic problem...failed VEY09P IC, green gone. Not
    only does it appear normal when first viewed, except for anything pure
    green being black and anything else being a different colour...after a
    few minutes it seems that my brain adapts to what it knows should be
    there, and some stuff looks normal, white and greys especially so. The
    eye is easily fooled...

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Jul 20, 2005