    bach in.
    What kind of problem is this and what else might I suggest?

    Rob, A+
    Magnum, Nov 12, 2003

  2. On 12 Nov 2003 11:30:30 -0800, (Magnum) wrote:

    >I just got a call from one of my customers. She says when she turns on
    >her computer, the monitor has lines of "4's" across the middle of the
    >screen. Everything else works fine, it just has lines of 4"'s". I
    >suggested unplugging the monitor from the computer and plugging it
    >bach in.
    >What kind of problem is this and what else might I suggest?
    >
    >Rob, A+

    The 4 key is stuck on her keyboard?

    Have you tried it on another computer? If the problem is the monitor,
    it could be a faulty EEPROM or uP.

    Tom
    Tom MacIntyre, Nov 12, 2003

  3. Magnum

    David Hough Guest

    I'm betting that if you plug another monitor into it you will still have
    the 4s. I'd bring a SVGA adapter, along with it's drivers.
    David Hough, Nov 12, 2003
  4. Magnum

    Fred Guest

    I know a lot of people say to use an eraser to clean contacts, but I would
    not do this because of the risk of ESD.

    You should use something like the edge Contact Cleaner Pen available at
    Radio shack.

    "Cleans and applies a micro-thin, long-lasting non- insulating coating that
    fights oxide buildup"

    http://www.radioshack.com/product.a..._name=CTLG_011_001_001_000&product_id=64-4340

    Here is another one they sell:

    http://www.radioshack.com/product.a..._name=CTLG_011_001_001_000&product_id=64-4341

    Fred, Nov 13, 2003
  5. Magnum

    Fred Guest

    "AT" <torgny@@direcway.com> wrote in message
    > Agree in using a cleaner instead of an eraser. But not because of any kind
    > of ESD problems. Just because it is easier. You do not get more static
    > electricity using an eraser then any other handling.
    >
    > AT

    I disagree.
    Using an eraser does increase the risk of ESD.
    I do realize that many "techs" use this method, but that doesn't mean it's
    the safe or correct way.
    Fred, Nov 14, 2003
  6. Magnum

    Fred Guest

    --

    "Barry Watzman" <> wrote in message
    > If you don't get carried away, a "Magic Rub" eraser can be used to clean
    > contact edge fingers without serious risk of damaging them. This is a
    > specific brand and type of eraser that has particularly low
    > abrasiveness, it's distributed nationwide and you can get them at
    > OfficeMax, OfficeDepot, Staples or Quill.
    >
    > It is also very good at removing pencil marks from paper :)

    There is another problem with using an eraser besides ESD. Erasers can also
    leave behind a residue or film that is not seen clearly with the naked eye.
    This film will defeat the purpose of cleaning the contacts.

    Why not just do it the correct way with the proper contact cleaner? ;-)
    Fred, Nov 14, 2003