Monitor problem question

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by aka Bob, Aug 19, 2006.

  1. aka Bob

    aka Bob Guest

    OS: W2KPro

    17" LCD Monitor: Philips 170B4

    Video Card: NVIDA RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro

    Display: High Color 16 bit 1024 x 768 pixels

    Problem: When I took the computer out of hibernation this morning the
    monitor was showing shadow like lines across the monitor where darker
    colours, like this text, is displayed. And these semi-transparent
    lines (about 50% transparency) are displayed in every programme where
    dark shows against a white or light background.

    I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the monitor and the video
    card and uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers, as well as
    updating the drivers - rebooting, etc.

    I've tried going down to 256 colors, resizing the display and going up
    to 32 bit color.

    Also tried trouble shooting, but nothing there.

    The lines remain in the display whatever I try.

    My computer system is about to be replaced by an upgrade box, but I
    was hoping to save $$$ by using my Philips monitor. So my question is
    this: is this latest problem simply another indication that my
    computer system is on the way out, or is my monitor stuffed as well?
    How do you test to see if it's the monitor, the video card or
    something else that's causing the display problem?

    I rest in pieces. Thanks in advance. b
    aka Bob, Aug 19, 2006

  2. aka Bob

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "aka Bob" <> wrote in message
    > OS: W2KPro
    >
    > 17" LCD Monitor: Philips 170B4
    >
    > Video Card: NVIDA RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro
    >
    > Display: High Color 16 bit 1024 x 768 pixels
    >
    > Problem: When I took the computer out of hibernation this morning the
    > monitor was showing shadow like lines across the monitor where darker
    > colours, like this text, is displayed. And these semi-transparent
    > lines (about 50% transparency) are displayed in every programme where
    > dark shows against a white or light background.
    >
    > I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the monitor and the video
    > card and uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers, as well as
    > updating the drivers - rebooting, etc.
    >
    > I've tried going down to 256 colors, resizing the display and going up
    > to 32 bit color.
    >
    > Also tried trouble shooting, but nothing there.
    >
    > The lines remain in the display whatever I try.
    >
    > My computer system is about to be replaced by an upgrade box, but I
    > was hoping to save $$$ by using my Philips monitor. So my question is
    > this: is this latest problem simply another indication that my
    > computer system is on the way out, or is my monitor stuffed as well?
    > How do you test to see if it's the monitor, the video card or
    > something else that's causing the display problem?
    >
    > I rest in pieces. Thanks in advance. b

    Your LCD monitor can't be that old?

    Have you tired Safe Mode that bypasses the video card?

    Can you try another monitor on it?

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Aug 19, 2006

  3. aka Bob

    Don Hills Guest

    In article <>,
    aka Bob <> wrote:

    >Video Card: NVIDA RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro
    >
    >Problem: When I took the computer out of hibernation this morning the
    >monitor was showing shadow like lines across the monitor where darker
    >colours, like this text, is displayed. And these semi-transparent
    >lines (about 50% transparency) are displayed in every programme where
    >dark shows against a white or light background.

    I had the same problem a few months ago. It turned out to be the video card
    at fault - same chipset as yours. To isolate it, borrow a monitor from
    someone else or take your system unit (or monitor, whichever is easier to
    carry) around to someone else's place (or a computer shop) so you can try it
    with their system.

    preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"
    Don Hills, Aug 19, 2006
  4. aka Bob

    Guest

    On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 17:25:27 +1200, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz
    (*sling)> wrote:

    >"aka Bob" <> wrote in message
    >> OS: W2KPro
    >>
    >> 17" LCD Monitor: Philips 170B4
    >>
    >> Video Card: NVIDA RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro
    >>
    >> Display: High Color 16 bit 1024 x 768 pixels
    >>
    >> Problem: When I took the computer out of hibernation this morning the
    >> monitor was showing shadow like lines across the monitor where darker
    >> colours, like this text, is displayed. And these semi-transparent
    >> lines (about 50% transparency) are displayed in every programme where
    >> dark shows against a white or light background.
    >>
    >> I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the monitor and the video
    >> card and uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers, as well as
    >> updating the drivers - rebooting, etc.
    >>
    >> I've tried going down to 256 colors, resizing the display and going up
    >> to 32 bit color.
    >>
    >> Also tried trouble shooting, but nothing there.
    >>
    >> The lines remain in the display whatever I try.
    >>
    >> My computer system is about to be replaced by an upgrade box, but I
    >> was hoping to save $$$ by using my Philips monitor. So my question is
    >> this: is this latest problem simply another indication that my
    >> computer system is on the way out, or is my monitor stuffed as well?
    >> How do you test to see if it's the monitor, the video card or
    >> something else that's causing the display problem?
    >>
    >> I rest in pieces. Thanks in advance. b

    >Your LCD monitor can't be that old?
    >
    >Have you tired Safe Mode that bypasses the video card?
    >
    >Can you try another monitor on it?
    >
    >E. Scrooge

    Yes but his Video card is...
    , Aug 19, 2006
  5. aka Bob

    aka Bob Guest

    On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 00:49:31 +1200, (Don
    Hills) magnanimously proffered:

    >In article <>,
    >aka Bob <> wrote:
    >>
    >>Video Card: NVIDA RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro
    >>
    >>Problem: When I took the computer out of hibernation this morning the
    >>monitor was showing shadow like lines across the monitor where darker
    >>colours, like this text, is displayed. And these semi-transparent
    >>lines (about 50% transparency) are displayed in every programme where
    >>dark shows against a white or light background.

    >I had the same problem a few months ago. It turned out to be the video card
    >at fault - same chipset as yours. To isolate it, borrow a monitor from
    >someone else or take your system unit (or monitor, whichever is easier to
    >carry) around to someone else's place (or a computer shop) so you can try it
    >with their system.

    Thanks for the advice (to everyone who responded). My monitor is only
    two and a half years old (2 year warranty!). But my old Gateway is
    slowly crapping out and I took this latest issue as a strong hint to
    order that new computer I've been vacillating about. So I've gone
    ahead and done it! $2,695.

    Instead of going for the upgrade box, I've gone for the entire
    package. If my Philips k17" LCD turns out to be OK then I'll either
    use it as a dual monitor, or give it to the kids to replace their CRT.

    So ... what did I finally go for? It probably won't be what a
    seriously advanced user would choose, but it will do me just fine:

    * DELL Dimension 9150 with PentiumD 945 Dual Core processor (3.4GHz,
    2x2MB L2 cache, 800MHz FSB);

    * * OS: WXPPro

    * 1 gig ram (2x512 NECC Dual Channel DDR2 533MHz SDRAM);

    * 250gig HD (partitioned);

    * 256MBB PCel x16 NVidia GeForde 7300LE Turbo Cache w/TV-Out, VGA &
    DVI);

    * Integrated Sound Blaster Audigy ADVANCED HD Audio;

    * 19" UltraSharp Flat Panel LCD Monitor (Analog & DVI);

    * Dual Monitor Adapter;

    * Keyboard & mouse (will continue using my current ones until they
    pack up);

    * Integrated Gigabit Ethernet;
    56K PCI Telephony Modem;

    * 1.44MB 3.5" Floppy + 13-in-1 USB 2.0 Hi-Speed Media card Reader;

    * 16x Dual Layer DVD+/RW + software (low specs but I've got a high
    spec external Dual Layer writer/rewriter, Nero 6 and other software
    I'll use instead);

    * A couple of speakers I don't need and will pass on to the kids;

    * A bunch of MS software I won't use and will uninstall ASAP;

    * 4 year Standard Desktop Support plan + 1 Yr Value Night & Weekend
    onsite service.
    aka Bob, Aug 20, 2006
  6. aka Bob

    Bobs Guest

    aka Bob wrote:
    > On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 00:49:31 +1200, (Don
    > Hills) magnanimously proffered:
    >
    > >In article <>,
    > >aka Bob <> wrote:
    > >>
    > >>Video Card: NVIDA RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro
    > >>
    > >>Problem: When I took the computer out of hibernation this morning the
    > >>monitor was showing shadow like lines across the monitor where darker
    > >>colours, like this text, is displayed. And these semi-transparent
    > >>lines (about 50% transparency) are displayed in every programme where
    > >>dark shows against a white or light background.

    > >I had the same problem a few months ago. It turned out to be the video card
    > >at fault - same chipset as yours. To isolate it, borrow a monitor from
    > >someone else or take your system unit (or monitor, whichever is easier to
    > >carry) around to someone else's place (or a computer shop) so you can try it
    > >with their system.

    > Thanks for the advice (to everyone who responded). My monitor is only
    > two and a half years old (2 year warranty!). But my old Gateway is
    > slowly crapping out and I took this latest issue as a strong hint to
    > order that new computer I've been vacillating about. So I've gone
    > ahead and done it! $2,695.
    >
    > Instead of going for the upgrade box, I've gone for the entire
    > package. If my Philips k17" LCD turns out to be OK then I'll either
    > use it as a dual monitor, or give it to the kids to replace their CRT.
    >
    > So ... what did I finally go for? It probably won't be what a
    > seriously advanced user would choose, but it will do me just fine:
    >
    > * DELL Dimension 9150 with PentiumD 945 Dual Core processor (3.4GHz,
    > 2x2MB L2 cache, 800MHz FSB);

    Nice CPU, but I bet it's noisy as hell with the heatsink/fan Intel
    decided to use for those cpu's. You could have got one of those new
    Core 2 Duo cpu's. Quiet and powerfull.

    Bobs, Aug 20, 2006