    problem is?

    Thanks in advance,
    Mr. Nicks
    Mr. Nicks, Mar 7, 2004

  2. Mr. Nicks

    Freda Guest

    Mr. Nicks said
    > Hi,
    >
    > My neighbor's computer quit working the other day. When she fires it up,
    > all that displays on the monitor is the OSD monitor adjustment controls and
    > they are totally unresponsive. The hard-drive runs and as far as we can
    > tell all is normal with the box, i.e. power-supply, CPU, etc. She has a
    > Compaq Presario 5000 WinME and the monitor is a 17 inch eMachine. Any ideas
    > as to what is going on, and any ideas on how to test it to find out what its
    > problem is?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Mr. Nicks

    Sounds like it is not getting a signal from the computer's graphics
    card. First check leads and then, if pos, try the monitor on another
    computer and another monitor on your neighbour's computer.

    That should give you an idea which bit isn't working - leads, monitor or
    graphics card.

    --
    Neopets!!! It's Fun, Free and Addictive
    www.neopets.com/refer.phtml?username=carolla
    Freda, Mar 7, 2004

  3. Mr. Nicks

    Rob K Guest

    Mr. Nicks wrote:
    <snipped>
    > When she fires it up,

    "when she fires it up" - *ahem* sorry about that.
    Have you tried another monitor ?

    --
    My E-mail address in ROT-13:
    Rob K, Mar 7, 2004
  4. Mr. Nicks

    netOBSESSIVE Guest

    Mr. Nicks wrote:

    > When she fires it up,
    > all that displays on the monitor is the OSD monitor adjustment controls and
    > they are totally unresponsive. The hard-drive runs and as far as we can
    > tell all is normal with the box, i.e. power-supply, CPU, etc.

    Strangely enough, I was working on my Landlord's PC the other day. Had
    the exact same symptoms. Turned out to be a loose connection on the
    Video Card So that the Monitor Plug wasn't connected to the Card...
    Get the Soldering gun out...
    netOBSESSIVE, Mar 7, 2004