    - Alan Justice

    --
    - Alan Justice

    Alan Justice, Aug 22, 2007

  2. "Alan Justice" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Dell CRT, about 8 years old, 20". Suddenly I get pincushion (the center
    > of
    > the display is pinched in). By pressing the menu button on the monitor, I
    > get an adjustment for it, but it does not do nearly enough.
    >
    > --
    > - Alan Justice

    Might be a failing capacitor somewhere in the monitor, or a failed solder
    joint. Probably would be easy to scrounge another monitor from somewhere,
    people are chucking these out and replacing them with flat-screens.

    Tim.

    . . . . Timothy . . . . ., Aug 23, 2007

  3. Alan Justice

    Jimbo Guest

    " . . . . Timothy . . . . ." <> wrote in message

    > "Alan Justice" <> wrote in message
    >> Dell CRT, about 8 years old, 20". Suddenly I get pincushion (the center
    >> of
    >> the display is pinched in). By pressing the menu button on the monitor,
    >> get an adjustment for it, but it does not do nearly enough.
    >>
    >> --
    >> - Alan Justice
    >>

    > Might be a failing capacitor somewhere in the monitor, or a failed solder
    > joint. Probably would be easy to scrounge another monitor from somewhere,
    > people are chucking these out and replacing them with flat-screens.
    >
    > Tim.

    My first thought would not be a simple cold (broken) solder joint. It could
    be but I would bet it's not that simple. From what you are saying it sounds
    more like a failed component. Could be a capacitor, resistor or other
    component(s).
    If you do decide to try your hand at fixing it BE VERY CAREFULL!!! The high
    voltage part of the monitor can store over 25K volts. In the 80's I was a TV
    repair tech. and once received a jolt from a black & white CRT, only about
    4K volts, and it hurt like hell. The voltages in a color CRT can be deadly
    even after sitting unpluged for a long time.
    I don't advacate trying to repair it your self unless you are experienced in
    TV/monitor repair.

    I think Tim has the best advice, "Probably would be easy to scrounge another

    Jimbo, Aug 29, 2007