    longer it is on. Do I need to buy a new monitor? By the way, we tried 2
    different monitors and both do the same thing. Can you help me?

    Myrtle
    sbcmkt, Dec 31, 2004

  2. sbcmkt

    Bud Light Guest

    "sbcmkt" <> wrote in message
    news:5adBd.594093$wV.221000@attbi_s54...
    > When we turned on the computer, the monitor had horizontal lines running
    > across the screen. It is not bad when first turned on but gets worse the
    > longer it is on. Do I need to buy a new monitor? By the way, we tried 2
    > different monitors and both do the same thing. Can you help me?
    >
    > Myrtle

    Try adjusting the contrast and brightness settings and see if that helps.
    Bud Light, Dec 31, 2004

  3. sbcmkt

    Kenny Guest

    Are these white lines running diagonally across the screen? If so they are
    known as flyback lines, not normally visible in a properly working monitor
    or TV. As Bud says adjusting brightness & contrast may help.

    --

    Kenny

    Kenny, Dec 31, 2004
  4. sbcmkt

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "sbcmkt" <> wrote in message
    | When we turned on the computer, the monitor had horizontal lines running
    | across the screen. It is not bad when first turned on but gets worse the
    | longer it is on. Do I need to buy a new monitor? By the way, we tried 2
    | different monitors and both do the same thing. Can you help me?
    |
    | Myrtle

    Do you really think if TWO monitors are displaying the same symptoms, that
    the problem is in BOTH monitors? Quite unlikely, don't ya think? I'd be more
    inclined to think it's a problem in the video card.

    Before changing the card, try changing the screen settings (right click on a
    blank part of the screen, click on properties, click on the settings tab).
    If you have bad memory on the video card, different resolutions can
    sometimes clear up the horizontal line problem. Also, there's the refresh
    rate (click on advanced, then the monitor tab). That could be an issue as
    well.

    If your video is built into the motherboard, it is still usually possible to
    put a second video card into one of the card slots, and disable the on-board
    video.
    Toolman Tim, Dec 31, 2004
  5. sbcmkt

    Conor Guest

    In article sbcmkt says...
    > When we turned on the computer, the monitor had horizontal lines running
    > across the screen. It is not bad when first turned on but gets worse the
    > longer it is on. Do I need to buy a new monitor? By the way, we tried 2
    > different monitors and both do the same thing. Can you help me?

    If you tried two different monitors then the monitor isn't the issue.

    --
    Conor

    -- George Patton
    Conor, Jan 1, 2005