    anything I could do to extend the life of the monitor? and, is the death of
    this monitor in the near future inevitable?

    jjw

    jjw, Oct 15, 2004

  2. jjw

    Kenny Guest

    There is no part that an inexperienced person could replace. I repair TV's
    and some monitors. This fault is known as intermittent line collapse and
    can have different causes. It may be as simple as dry solder joints, I
    could also be the line transformer or other failing component. Best bet is
    take it to a good TV engineer Don't be tempted to open it or a DIY repair,
    it can be dangerous and may leave it beyond repair.
    --

    Kenny

    "jjw" <> wrote in message
    > I have a monitor that seems to be going out. More specifically, every

    once
    > in a while, I'll see a bright flash of light in the center of the screen,
    > the light is a vertical line going from top to bottom. The light is
    > extremely bright, it hurts my eyes. When this happens, the rest of the
    > screen goes black. but right after, everything returns to normal. It
    > happens in much less than a second. It looks as if the bright light is
    > caused by all the color on the screen concentrating into the center. This
    > monitor is a few years old, but I don't know how old exactly. It is also

    my

    Kenny, Oct 15, 2004

  3. jjw

    chris Guest

    Good Advice

    Don't be tempted to open it or a DIY repair, it can be dangerous and may
    leave it ((AND YOU)) beyond repair

    chris, Oct 15, 2004
  4. "chris" <> wrote in message

    > Good Advice
    >
    > Don't be tempted to open it or a DIY repair, it can be dangerous and may
    > leave it ((AND YOU)) beyond repair
    >

    > "Kenny" <> wrote in message
    > > There is no part that an inexperienced person could replace. I repair

    > TV's
    > > and some monitors. This fault is known as intermittent line collapse

    and
    > > can have different causes. It may be as simple as dry solder joints, I
    > > could also be the line transformer or other failing component. Best bet

    > is
    > > take it to a good TV engineer Don't be tempted to open it or a DIY

    > repair,
    > > it can be dangerous and may leave it beyond repair.

    For the cost of repair you would be better served to get a new or used
    monitor (w/ warranty).

    --
    <B0N3H3@D>

    «bonehead;\), Oct 15, 2004
  5. "jjw" <> wrote in message
    >I have a monitor that seems to be going out. More specifically, every once
    >in a while, I'll see a bright flash of light in the center of the screen,
    >the light is a vertical line going from top to bottom. The light is
    >extremely bright, it hurts my eyes. When this happens, the rest of the
    >screen goes black. but right after, everything returns to normal. It
    >happens in much less than a second. It looks as if the bright light is
    >caused by all the color on the screen concentrating into the center. This
    >monitor is a few years old, but I don't know how old exactly. It is also
    >my main monitor, so I would like to preserve it. I have tried running it
    >at different resolutions but I did not notice any change in the bright
    >light problem.
    >
    > My experience with monitors is fairly limited, so I guess the questions I
    > have are, is there a part that I could replace in the monitor? is there
    > anything I could do to extend the life of the monitor? and, is the death
    > of this monitor in the near future inevitable?

    I'd probably just look at prices for new ones. It might be worth it just to
    have a *bright* screen. Your old one might be getting a little dim by now.

    Patrick Michael, Oct 15, 2004
  6. On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 11:12:04 +0100, "Kenny" <> wrote:

    >There is no part that an inexperienced person could replace. I repair TV's
    >and some monitors. This fault is known as intermittent line collapse and
    >can have different causes. It may be as simple as dry solder joints, I
    >could also be the line transformer or other failing component. Best bet is
    >take it to a good TV engineer Don't be tempted to open it or a DIY repair,
    >it can be dangerous and may leave it beyond repair.

    I have similar experience, and I agree. Bad solder connection or
    intermittent open component, specifically in the horizontal
    deflection. The way monitors are put together, an inexperienced person
    could kill it simply by trying to take it apart. The fact that you
    didn't even indicate the monitor's make and model speaks volumes. That
    is something for someone experienced with these things. Sorry.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Oct 15, 2004
  7. On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 15:06:28 GMT, "«bonehead;\)" <>
    wrote:

    >"chris" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Good Advice
    >>
    >> Don't be tempted to open it or a DIY repair, it can be dangerous and may
    >> leave it ((AND YOU)) beyond repair
    >>

    >> "Kenny" <> wrote in message
    >> > There is no part that an inexperienced person could replace. I repair

    >> TV's
    >> > and some monitors. This fault is known as intermittent line collapse

    >and
    >> > can have different causes. It may be as simple as dry solder joints, I
    >> > could also be the line transformer or other failing component. Best bet

    >> is
    >> > take it to a good TV engineer Don't be tempted to open it or a DIY

    >> repair,
    >> > it can be dangerous and may leave it beyond repair.

    >For the cost of repair you would be better served to get a new or used
    >monitor (w/ warranty).

    Not always, and especially not in this case (based on my experience,
    this should not be costly, on average). If the original poster should
    decide to follow your advice, my recommendation to him is to find his
    other monitor a good home with someone who will repair it. The level
    of irresponsibility our society has demonstrated in attempting to
    destroy this planet is appalling.

    When I was in the electronics repair business, I prided myself as
    being a recycler as well.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Oct 15, 2004
  8. "Tom MacIntyre" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 15:06:28 GMT, "«bonehead;\)" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >"chris" <> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> Good Advice
    > >>
    > >> Don't be tempted to open it or a DIY repair, it can be dangerous and

    may
    > >> leave it ((AND YOU)) beyond repair
    > >>

    > >> "Kenny" <> wrote in message

    repair
    > >> TV's

    > >and

    bet
    > >> is
    > >> repair,

    > >For the cost of repair you would be better served to get a new or used
    > >monitor (w/ warranty).

    > Not always, and especially not in this case (based on my experience,
    > this should not be costly, on average). If the original poster should
    > decide to follow your advice, my recommendation to him is to find his
    > other monitor a good home with someone who will repair it. The level
    > of irresponsibility our society has demonstrated in attempting to
    > destroy this planet is appalling.
    >
    > When I was in the electronics repair business, I prided myself as
    > being a recycler as well.

    That's funny because I was also going to add that he should make sure to
    discard
    the monitor in a safe way or find someone willing to monkey with it (like
    you)... ;)

    --
    <B0N3H3@D>

    «bonehead;\), Oct 15, 2004
  9. On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 20:35:37 GMT, "«bonehead;\)" <>
    wrote:

    >"Tom MacIntyre" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 15:06:28 GMT, "«bonehead;\)" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >> >"chris" <> wrote in message

    >may

    >repair
    >> >and

    >bet
    >> >
    >> >For the cost of repair you would be better served to get a new or used
    >> >monitor (w/ warranty).

    >> Not always, and especially not in this case (based on my experience,
    >> this should not be costly, on average). If the original poster should
    >> decide to follow your advice, my recommendation to him is to find his
    >> other monitor a good home with someone who will repair it. The level
    >> of irresponsibility our society has demonstrated in attempting to
    >> destroy this planet is appalling.
    >>
    >> When I was in the electronics repair business, I prided myself as
    >> being a recycler as well.

    >That's funny because I was also going to add that he should make sure to
    >discard
    >the monitor in a safe way or find someone willing to monkey with it (like
    >you)... ;)

    I salute you. :)

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Oct 15, 2004
  10. jjw

    jjw Guest

    "Kenny" <> wrote in message
    > There is no part that an inexperienced person could replace. I repair
    > TV's
    > and some monitors. This fault is known as intermittent line collapse and
    > can have different causes. It may be as simple as dry solder joints, I
    > could also be the line transformer or other failing component. Best bet
    > is
    > take it to a good TV engineer Don't be tempted to open it or a DIY
    > repair,
    > it can be dangerous and may leave it beyond repair.
    > --
    >
    > Kenny

    Good advice....however, I am already tempted to open it. At the rate it is
    declining, I imagine it will stop working completely in a month or two. I
    am a little bit concerned about my well being....there are ways to discharge
    it, isn't there?

    jjw

    jjw, Oct 16, 2004
  11. jjw

    jjw Guest

    "Tom MacIntyre" <> wrote in message
    > I have similar experience, and I agree. Bad solder connection or
    > intermittent open component, specifically in the horizontal
    > deflection. The way monitors are put together, an inexperienced person
    > could kill it simply by trying to take it apart. The fact that you
    > didn't even indicate the monitor's make and model speaks volumes. That
    > is something for someone experienced with these things. Sorry.
    >
    > Tom

    I guess it's like they say: "Experience is what you need until just after
    you get it".
    Maybe I'll try to find someone who lives here who would be willing to open
    it up with me and show how to fix it.

    jjw

    jjw, Oct 16, 2004
  12. On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 17:28:09 -0600, "jjw"
    <> wrote:

    >"Tom MacIntyre" <> wrote in message
    >> I have similar experience, and I agree. Bad solder connection or
    >> intermittent open component, specifically in the horizontal
    >> deflection. The way monitors are put together, an inexperienced person
    >> could kill it simply by trying to take it apart. The fact that you
    >> didn't even indicate the monitor's make and model speaks volumes. That
    >> is something for someone experienced with these things. Sorry.
    >>
    >> Tom

    >I guess it's like they say: "Experience is what you need until just after
    >you get it".
    >Maybe I'll try to find someone who lives here who would be willing to open
    >it up with me and show how to fix it.
    >
    >jjw

    That's a very good idea. If you have the time and are interested,
    check this out as an addition to having a knowledgeable partner do the
    repair with you, or vice versa...

    http://www.repairfaq.org

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Oct 16, 2004
  13. On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 01:57:57 GMT, Barry Watzman
    <> wrote:

    >Your problem is caused by momentary loss of horizontal deflection.
    >
    >The problem is, about 20% of the parts in the monitor could cause this,
    >and it's going to be very difficult to track down. Also, these are the
    >most dangerous circuits in the monitor to work on, with potentially
    >lethal voltages possibly exceeding 20,000 volts.

    I'd even go so far as to say almost certainly exceeding 20000 volts.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Oct 16, 2004
  14. jjw

    jjw Guest

    "SBFan2000" <> wrote in message

    >> Good advice....however, I am already tempted to open it. At the rate it

    > is
    >> declining, I imagine it will stop working completely in a month or two.
    >> am a little bit concerned about my well being....there are ways to

    > discharge
    >> it, isn't there?

    > Yes, there is! However, if you have to ask then you should[n't] try it!
    > :-(

    You think that the most dangerous thing I could do is to open up the monitor
    and work on it. But you're wrong...the most dangerous thing is that I would
    be uneducated about it. And this is the case with all things. Being
    uneducated about something can make people hate it, fear it, misuse it, and
    misunderstand it.

    It may be true that there is no such thing as a stupid question, but I have
    heard some stupid answers, and that is one of them. What you just said was
    "don't ask questions." I was born into this life knowing very little, but
    when I leave, that will not be the case. I would appreciate it if when you
    don't have something to contribute to the NG, that you don't.

    jjw

    jjw, Oct 17, 2004
  15. jjw

    jjw Guest

    >>I guess it's like they say: "Experience is what you need until just after
    >>you get it".
    >>Maybe I'll try to find someone who lives here who would be willing to open
    >>it up with me and show how to fix it.
    >>
    >>jjw
    >>

    > That's a very good idea. If you have the time and are interested,
    > check this out as an addition to having a knowledgeable partner do the
    > repair with you, or vice versa...
    >
    > http://www.repairfaq.org
    >
    > Tom

    thank you, I certainly will

    jjw

    jjw, Oct 17, 2004
  16. jjw

    jjw Guest

    >> That's a very good idea. If you have the time and are interested,
    >> check this out as an addition to having a knowledgeable partner do the
    >> repair with you, or vice versa...
    >>
    >> http://www.repairfaq.org
    >>
    >> Tom

    > thank you, I certainly will
    >
    > jjw

    Well, it died completely. It will not turn on at all. No lights go on
    either. I'll let you know if I get it fixed.

    jjw

    jjw, Oct 18, 2004