    button arrangement?

    Cheers,
    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Nov 15, 2003

  2. On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 01:05:53 +1300, "E. Scrooge" <
    (remove eye)> wrote:

    >Hell, it's done it again.
    >It's not as bad as it sounds, it works fine. It's a 17" with a large push
    >button and spin to select it's on screen menu of adjustments. The menu
    >would come up all right, but on turn the button nothing would be selected.
    >I noticed it for a few days. Then ealier tonight after turning on the PC
    >and leaving it for a while, I happen to try the damn menu button again and
    >it worked as good as gold - just as well as ever. Now it won't select a
    >thing again. Anyone else have this happen on a monitor with a similar one
    >button arrangement?
    >
    >Cheers,
    >E. Scrooge

    Yes we have a Rubbish bin full of them.

    Gregory Parker, Nov 15, 2003

  3. E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Gregory Parker" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 01:05:53 +1300, "E. Scrooge" <
    > (remove eye)> wrote:
    >
    > >Hell, it's done it again.
    > >It's not as bad as it sounds, it works fine. It's a 17" with a large

    push
    > >button and spin to select it's on screen menu of adjustments. The menu
    > >would come up all right, but on turn the button nothing would be

    selected.
    > >I noticed it for a few days. Then ealier tonight after turning on the PC
    > >and leaving it for a while, I happen to try the damn menu button again

    and
    > >it worked as good as gold - just as well as ever. Now it won't select a
    > >thing again. Anyone else have this happen on a monitor with a similar

    one
    > >button arrangement?
    > >
    > >Cheers,
    > >E. Scrooge

    > Yes we have a Rubbish bin full of them.

    Good for you. Is there no easy fix for it?

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Nov 15, 2003
  4. On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 01:58:34 +1300, "E. Scrooge"
    < (remove eye)> scribbled:

    >"Gregory Parker" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 01:05:53 +1300, "E. Scrooge" <
    >> (remove eye)> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Hell, it's done it again.
    >> >It's not as bad as it sounds, it works fine. It's a 17" with a large

    >push
    >> >button and spin to select it's on screen menu of adjustments. The menu
    >> >would come up all right, but on turn the button nothing would be

    >selected.
    >> >I noticed it for a few days. Then ealier tonight after turning on the PC
    >> >and leaving it for a while, I happen to try the damn menu button again

    >and
    >> >it worked as good as gold - just as well as ever. Now it won't select a
    >> >thing again. Anyone else have this happen on a monitor with a similar

    >one
    >> >button arrangement?
    >> >
    >> >Cheers,
    >> >E. Scrooge

    >> Yes we have a Rubbish bin full of them.

    >Good for you. Is there no easy fix for it?

    It could be a faulty switch itself. Or it could be a faulty
    controller.

    BTW, which monitor in question are we talking about?

    --
    Phillip Weston
    Taumarunui, New Zealand

    Phillip Weston, Nov 15, 2003
  5. E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Phillip Weston" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    <

    > >push

    menu

    > >selected.

    PC

    > >and

    similar
    > >one

    > >> Yes we have a Rubbish bin full of them.

    > >Good for you. Is there no easy fix for it?

    > It could be a faulty switch itself. Or it could be a faulty
    > controller.
    >
    > BTW, which monitor in question are we talking about?
    >
    > --
    > Phillip Weston

    It has "uVision" on the front. On the back with plenty of stuff it says
    it's an "AS1770" model - year 2001.
    I've been wanting to tone down the brightness a bit, finally got it done
    yesterday. The button worked without the hint of a fault. The one spinning
    button doesn't sound like a good idea. When working you can spin round the
    menu as often as you like and very little resistance of any feel to it.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Nov 15, 2003
  6. E. Scrooge

    T.N.O. Guest

    E. Scrooge wrote:

    > Hell, it's done it again.
    > It's not as bad as it sounds, it works fine. It's a 17" with a large push
    > button and spin to select it's on screen menu of adjustments. The menu
    > would come up all right, but on turn the button nothing would be selected.
    > I noticed it for a few days. Then ealier tonight after turning on the PC
    > and leaving it for a while, I happen to try the damn menu button again and
    > it worked as good as gold - just as well as ever. Now it won't select a
    > thing again. Anyone else have this happen on a monitor with a similar one
    > button arrangement?

    My mums cheapo monitor has the same button config, terrible to use, in
    my opinion... anyway, we got it replaced under warranty, but your's is a
    PC company one isn't it?

    If you need a spare if you need to send that one back, give me a yell.

    T.N.O., Nov 15, 2003
  7. E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "T.N.O." <> wrote in message
    > E. Scrooge wrote:
    >
    > > Hell, it's done it again.
    > > It's not as bad as it sounds, it works fine. It's a 17" with a large

    push
    > > button and spin to select it's on screen menu of adjustments. The menu
    > > would come up all right, but on turn the button nothing would be

    selected.
    > > I noticed it for a few days. Then ealier tonight after turning on the

    PC
    > > and leaving it for a while, I happen to try the damn menu button again

    and
    > > it worked as good as gold - just as well as ever. Now it won't select a
    > > thing again. Anyone else have this happen on a monitor with a similar

    one
    > > button arrangement?

    > My mums cheapo monitor has the same button config, terrible to use, in
    > my opinion... anyway, we got it replaced under warranty, but your's is a
    > PC company one isn't it?
    >
    > If you need a spare if you need to send that one back, give me a yell.

    Thanks for the offer, but it's set to what I want for now.

    No way did I go for a PC Company monitor for the new system, I had that
    bugger kicked off the list of options. A standard ONE year warranty from an
    outfit that had a cheap bulk supply of the buggers just wasn't good enough
    while other retailers were offering new monitors with a good 3 year warranty
    as standard. The 1 year warranty showed that the PC Company weren't willing
    to match other retailers by giving a 3 year warranty for their monitors, the
    standard 1 year on the PC itself was fair enough.

    I got my monitor cheap at the time from Cash Converters several months
    before getting the new PC. They must've paid bugger all for it, it was in
    good condition, better than some that they wanted the same price or more
    for. Only after getting it did I notice that it was made in 2001.

    The button must have weak contacts even at the best of times right from when
    it was new on these models. I'll avoid any other monitors with similar
    adjustment in the future.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Nov 15, 2003
  8. On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 10:22:28 +1300, "E. Scrooge" <
    (remove eye)> wrote:

    >"Phillip Weston" <> wrote in
    >message news:...
    >> On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 01:58:34 +1300, "E. Scrooge"
    >> < (remove eye)> scribbled:
    >>

    >> >"Gregory Parker" <> wrote in message

    ><

    >> >push

    >menu
    >> >selected.

    >PC
    >> >and

    >similar
    >> >one

    >> >Good for you. Is there no easy fix for it?

    >> It could be a faulty switch itself. Or it could be a faulty
    >> controller.
    >>
    >> BTW, which monitor in question are we talking about?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Phillip Weston

    >It has "uVision" on the front. On the back with plenty of stuff it says
    >it's an "AS1770" model - year 2001.
    >I've been wanting to tone down the brightness a bit, finally got it done
    >yesterday. The button worked without the hint of a fault. The one spinning
    >button doesn't sound like a good idea. When working you can spin round the
    >menu as often as you like and very little resistance of any feel to it.
    >
    >E. Scrooge

    Its past its use by date for that model..

    Gregory Parker, Nov 15, 2003
  9. E. Scrooge

    > On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 10:22:28 +1300, "E. Scrooge" <
    > (remove eye)> wrote:
    >

    > >"Phillip Weston" <> wrote in
    > >message news:...
    > >> On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 01:58:34 +1300, "E. Scrooge"
    > >> < (remove eye)> scribbled:

    > ><

    large

    > >menu

    the
    > >PC

    again

    select

    > >similar

    > >> It could be a faulty switch itself. Or it could be a faulty
    > >> controller.
    > >>
    > >> BTW, which monitor in question are we talking about?
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Phillip Weston

    > >It has "uVision" on the front. On the back with plenty of stuff it says
    > >it's an "AS1770" model - year 2001.
    > >I've been wanting to tone down the brightness a bit, finally got it done
    > >yesterday. The button worked without the hint of a fault. The one

    spinning
    > >button doesn't sound like a good idea. When working you can spin round

    the
    > >menu as often as you like and very little resistance of any feel to it.
    > >
    > >E. Scrooge

    > Its past its use by date for that model..

    The monitor itself still works fine, it's only the settings button that's
    stuffed.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Nov 15, 2003