Monitor correction charts

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Walter Dnes (delete the 'z' to get my real address, Aug 7, 2005.

  1. I don't know whether this question belongs on a computer group or a
    digital photography group, but here goes.

    Having recently bought a digital camera, I'll admit to taking the
    (ahem) occasional (cough cough) not-quite-perfect picture that needs
    some touching-up. I'm starting to play around with GIMP, and getting
    half-decent at fixing up under-exposed shots. I can make it look good
    on *MY* computer monitor.

    This raises the question of whether there is a "test pattern" for
    monitors like http://www.high-techproductions.com/colorbars.htm for TV.
    You'd need a paper printout and a digital file. Getting the paper
    printout right might be a bit expensive.

    Talking about computer monitors in general, is it just me, or has
    anyone else noticed that LCD displays seem to default to being *DAMN*
    bright? When I got one at work, the first thing I did was to crank the
    brightness way down.

    --
    Walter Dnes; my email address is *ALMOST* like
    Delete the "z" to get my real address. If that gets blocked, follow

    Walter Dnes (delete the 'z' to get my real address, Aug 7, 2005

  2. Get *any* digital photo printed in a decent lab. Make sure it has good
    range of colors (darks and highlights), no auto-level adjustment will
    mess up the picture like that. That gives you a good reference for
    setting brightness, it is a reference with full range of darks and
    highlights if you selected such a photo. Contrast is often best near
    maxinum for most cases.

    Adjust gamma with suitable software for color accuracy (rough) with
    programs like Wiziwyg or Adobe gamma if your a photo-shop user. Very
    difficult to do with laptops though.

    LCDs are bright because they have very poor black. A very bright white
    makes the poor black look darker.
    --
    harri

    Harri Suomalainen, Aug 7, 2005

  3. On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 14:31:27 +0000, Walter Dnes (delete the 'z' to get my
    real address) wrote:

    > I don't know whether this question belongs on a computer group or a
    > digital photography group, but here goes.
    >
    > Having recently bought a digital camera, I'll admit to taking the
    > (ahem) occasional (cough cough) not-quite-perfect picture that needs some
    > touching-up. I'm starting to play around with GIMP, and getting
    > half-decent at fixing up under-exposed shots. I can make it look good on
    > *MY* computer monitor.
    >
    > This raises the question of whether there is a "test pattern" for
    > monitors like http://www.high-techproductions.com/colorbars.htm for TV.
    > You'd need a paper printout and a digital file. Getting the paper
    > printout right might be a bit expensive.
    >
    > Talking about computer monitors in general, is it just me, or has
    > anyone else noticed that LCD displays seem to default to being *DAMN*
    > bright? When I got one at work, the first thing I did was to crank the
    > brightness way down.

    Go here

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/kodakz740/

    All the way to the bottom of the page, there is a greyscale step wedge.
    Adjust your monitor brightness and contrast until you can discern each
    wedge. Some of the differences will be slight, particularly between A, B,
    and C, and X, Y, and Z.

    This isn't a perfect, calibrated brightness/contrast monitor adjustment,
    but it will get you into the ballpark. The infield, actually. ;-)

    Also, make sure the ambient light where your monitor is, more or less, the
    same level, day or night.

    Do a Yahoo or Google search for "monitor calibration techniques" or
    something similar. You might find a site or two that have JPEG calibration
    color charts and greyscales with instructions. I downloaded a couple, but
    I no longer have the URLs to the sites.

    Stefan

    stefan patric, Aug 7, 2005
  4. "Walter Dnes (delete the 'z' to get my real address)" <> writes:

    > I don't know whether this question belongs on a computer group or a
    > digital photography group, but here goes.
    >
    > Having recently bought a digital camera, I'll admit to taking the
    > (ahem) occasional (cough cough) not-quite-perfect picture that needs
    > some touching-up. I'm starting to play around with GIMP, and getting
    > half-decent at fixing up under-exposed shots. I can make it look good
    > on *MY* computer monitor.
    >
    > This raises the question of whether there is a "test pattern" for
    > monitors like http://www.high-techproductions.com/colorbars.htm for TV.
    > You'd need a paper printout and a digital file. Getting the paper
    > printout right might be a bit expensive.

    The top solution, more expensive, is a "monitor calibration" package,
    which includes a sensor that reads the monitor and plugs into the
    computer, and software to drive it. Like the ColorVision Spyder
    packages, say.
    Dragaera/Steven Brust: <http://dragaera.info/> Much of which is still down

    David Dyer-Bennet, Aug 8, 2005
  5. Walter Dnes (delete the 'z' to get my real address

    Guest

    Google up Norman Koren. He has a page (several) that leads you through
    a monitor calibration scheme as good as any I have seen (short of a
    mechanical device doing the work for you).

    , Aug 8, 2005
  6. On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 15:54:55 -0700, stefan patric, <> wrote:

    > Go here
    >
    > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/kodakz740/
    >
    > All the way to the bottom of the page, there is a greyscale step wedge.
    > Adjust your monitor brightness and contrast until you can discern each
    > wedge. Some of the differences will be slight, particularly between A, B,
    > and C, and X, Y, and Z.

    I've got it working, thanks... but now I need sunglasses. Or maybe I
    was just used to a darker setting. I always find other people's
    monitors too bright for my taste.

    Walter Dnes (delete the 'z' to get my real address, Aug 9, 2005
  7. On 09 Aug 2005 00:40:14 GMT, "Walter Dnes (delete the 'z' to get
    my real address)" <> wrote:

    > I've got it working, thanks... but now I need sunglasses. Or maybe I
    >was just used to a darker setting. I always find other people's
    >monitors too bright for my taste.

    Walter,

    reduce brightness and also reduce contrast. It should be
    possible to get the full range at a lower brightness. If not,
    get a properly working monitor, because yours is defective.

    Hans-Georg

    --
    No mail, please.

    Hans-Georg Michna, Aug 10, 2005
  8. On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 15:41:20 +0200, Hans-Georg Michna, <> wrote:
    > On 09 Aug 2005 00:40:14 GMT, "Walter Dnes (delete the 'z' to get
    > my real address)" <> wrote:
    >
    > > I've got it working, thanks... but now I need sunglasses. Or maybe I
    > >was just used to a darker setting. I always find other people's
    > >monitors too bright for my taste.

    > Walter,
    >
    > reduce brightness and also reduce contrast. It should be
    > possible to get the full range at a lower brightness. If not,
    > get a properly working monitor, because yours is defective.

    Actually, it's probably my eyes. Whenever I get a new monitor at
    work, I *ALWAYS* crank down the brightness for personal comfort. I
    always prefered true text-mode. This post is being composed with vim on
    an 80x48 (YES, forty-eight) text screen. I use the same video mode as
    gives 80x60 text mode with 8-pixel high fonts. The textmode is 640
    across by 480 scanlines. 480/8 gives 60 rows, but is murder on the
    eyes. 480/10 gives 48 rows and is a lot nicer than the "VGA mode" 400
    scanlines with 8-pixel high font that gives 50 rows. I flip to GUI only
    for stuff that requires GUI. Setting the monitor to properly display
    the test bar in the URL causes it to show a lot of detail in my pics
    that I never saw before.

    I wonder about some other settings. One has 4 values "RGB". "6500",
    "7500", and "9300". Any recommendations there?

    Walter Dnes (delete the 'z' to get my real address, Aug 11, 2005