    that profile into the Nvidia control panel, but that seems to make the
    monitor look even worse.

    What can I do to make the profile stay active?

    Tod DeBie, Apr 24, 2006

  2. Tod DeBie

    Jimmy Guest

    "Tod DeBie" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I am running Windows XP Pro SP2 with an Nvidia 7600 GS video card and
    >v84.21 drivers. I am using a Gretag Macbeth Eye-One Display 2 and running
    >Eye-One Match 3.6 calibration software.
    >
    > What can I do to make the profile stay active?

    What programs are you showing in the Startup folder?

    Jimmy, Apr 24, 2006

  3. Tod DeBie

    Bill Hilton Guest

    > Tod DeBie writes ...
    >
    >I am using a Gretag Macbeth Eye-One Display 2 ...
    >I run a calibration and it seems to go fine, resulting in a very
    >good looking display. The profile gets set as default in
    >Windows and everything seems to be fine...until I reboot.
    >After reboot, it looks as though the profile is not set

    First off, when you run the Eye-One the first steps "calibrate" the
    monitor to a known state (white point, contrast, color, etc), then the
    software "characterizes" the monitor by displaying colors, measuring
    them and generating the ICM profile such that the colors appear as
    accurate as possible.

    So all programs benefit from the "calibration" but the only ones that
    benefit from the ICM profile are the few that recognize it.

    When you say "it looks as though the profile is not set" do you mean
    for ALL programs, even the non-color managed ones? If so, then my
    guess is that at some point earlier you ran a different calibration
    program like Adobe Gamma or whatever. The monitor cal programs leave a
    file in the "Start - All programs - Startup" folder that run and load
    values into the LUTs of your video card when you turn on the computer.
    For example with Eye One mine is called "Logo Calibration Loader" ...
    if you have two of these (an old one left over from yesteryear) then
    the LUT values get screwed up since they are written twice. This is
    the most common problem people see.

    So check your Startup folder and see if you have Gamma Loader.exe or
    something like that and delete it ... if that's your problem then this
    will fix it. If that doesn't do it then post again with more details
    as to whether you see the problem only in color-managed apps that
    recognize the ICM profile or if you see a problem in all programs.

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Apr 24, 2006
  4. Tod DeBie

    Mark² Guest

    Tod DeBie wrote:
    > I am running Windows XP Pro SP2 with an Nvidia 7600 GS video card and
    > v84.21 drivers. I am using a Gretag Macbeth Eye-One Display 2 and
    > running Eye-One Match 3.6 calibration software.
    >
    > I run a calibration and it seems to go fine, resulting in a very good
    > looking display. The profile gets set as default in Windows and
    > everything seems to be fine...until I reboot. After reboot, it looks
    > as though the profile is not set, even though it shows as being set
    > in the video driver (the default windows color calibration setting).
    > I tried removing and re-adding it, but nothing will make it take
    > effect. I've also tried setting that profile into the Nvidia control
    > panel, but that seems to make the monitor look even worse.
    >
    > What can I do to make the profile stay active?

    Do you have spy-ware detection running on your system?
    If so, it may have prevented the profiling program from running on start-up.

    Try re-installing the profiling program, after first turning off all
    spy-ware, virus protection, etc.
    Once you've got it set up again, you should be able to turn spy-detection
    and virus protection back on...

    Then you should be able to still load the profile you created the first time
    (without having to go through the profiling routine again).

    The other thing you might try is:

    Go to START...RUN...
    Type in: "msconfig" and hit enter.

    Now go to the start-up tab.

    In the list of start-up items, see if there is an item that seems
    related...with a box that has been un-checked...you might be able to solve
    this by simply re-checking it...then restarting your computer.

    First, though, try re-installing the profiling software after first
    deactivating your protection programs.
    You might have to also deactivate a built-in Windows-based program or
    fire-wall too.
    That can be done via the control panel (Start--settings--control
    panel--Windows Firewall), and turn the firewall off (you can turn it back on
    again after install).

    These are just suggestions for common start-up issues like this. I don't
    know that it will fix it, but I'd start with these--if this was happening on
    my own computer.

    -Mark²

    Mark², Apr 25, 2006