    Jeff

    C. Jeffery Small CJSA LLC 206-232-3338
    7000 E Mercer Way, Mercer Island, WA 98040
    Jeffery Small, Feb 26, 2006

  2. Jeffery Small

    Bill Hilton Guest

    > Jeffery Small writes ...
    >
    >What tools are people using to calibrate the color of their monitors
    >on UNIX systems - specifically Solaris?

    I used to do a lot of design work on Sun workstations running Solaris,
    but not imaging ... AFAIK Unix doesn't support the ICC (International
    Color Consortium) spec for what we formally call "Color Management",
    probably because programs like Photoshop haven't been ported to Unix.
    So it won't recognize monitor profiles, for one glaring example.

    Perhaps someone will have info otherwise, but you may just have to do
    it the old fashion way, that is, print and fiddle with the monitor's
    color controls until you get a match ... this works OK in a closed
    system but is problematic when you try to send files out and expect a
    color match on someone else's printer or monitor.

    >I have two Planar PX212M LCD monitors
    >that I would like to set up for image processing.

    What program are you running?

    Bill
    Bill Hilton, Feb 27, 2006

  3. Jeffery Small

    Father Kodak Guest

    On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 21:19:53 GMT, (Jeffery Small) wrote:

    >What tools are people using to calibrate the color of their monitors on
    >UNIX systems - specifically Solaris? I have two Planar PX212M LCD monitors
    >that I would like to set up for image processing. Thanks.
    >
    >Regards,

    Jeff,

    I know I'm coming in late on this, but I have to ask: why use a
    Solaris system for photo imaging work (if that is indeed what you're
    doing - my assumption.) ???

    These days, Sun doesn't even pretend to be a workstation company.
    They are a _server_ company these days, and for the last 5-6 years.

    Unless you have some specialized app that runs only on Solaris, I
    would suggest that you get a Windows or Mac based system. Of course,
    you would want to use your Planar monitors such a system, so that
    could be an issue. Life will be a lot simpler for you in the long
    run.

    IF you are wedded (for whatever reason) to UNIX, may I respectfully
    suggest you look at a Linux-based system. GIMP on Linux is a credible
    alternative to Photoshop, and the price is certainly right.

    I'm not saying any of this to knock Sun. I am a former Sun employer
    there, and I have very positive memories of my time there, which was
    before the "bubble" burst. It was a great company and they treated
    their employees quite well. They make/made great systems, but as a
    workstation company, their "time in the sun" (cough, cough, cough) is
    long past.

    Father Kodak
    Father Kodak, Apr 29, 2006
  4. ? "Father Kodak" <> ?????? ??? ??????
    > On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 21:19:53 GMT, (Jeffery Small) wrote:
    >

    > >What tools are people using to calibrate the color of their monitors on
    > >UNIX systems - specifically Solaris? I have two Planar PX212M LCD

    monitors
    > >that I would like to set up for image processing. Thanks.
    > >
    > >Regards,

    > Jeff,
    >
    > I know I'm coming in late on this, but I have to ask: why use a
    > Solaris system for photo imaging work (if that is indeed what you're
    > doing - my assumption.) ???
    >
    > These days, Sun doesn't even pretend to be a workstation company.
    > They are a _server_ company these days, and for the last 5-6 years.
    >
    > Unless you have some specialized app that runs only on Solaris, I
    > would suggest that you get a Windows or Mac based system. Of course,
    > you would want to use your Planar monitors such a system, so that
    > could be an issue. Life will be a lot simpler for you in the long
    > run.
    >
    > IF you are wedded (for whatever reason) to UNIX, may I respectfully
    > suggest you look at a Linux-based system. GIMP on Linux is a credible
    > alternative to Photoshop, and the price is certainly right.
    >
    > I'm not saying any of this to knock Sun. I am a former Sun employer
    > there, and I have very positive memories of my time there, which was
    > before the "bubble" burst. It was a great company and they treated
    > their employees quite well. They make/made great systems, but as a
    > workstation company, their "time in the sun" (cough, cough, cough) is
    > long past.
    >
    > Father Kodak

    I agree absolutely-for windows especially you can find almost everything,
    from japanese fonds to specialized drawing tools, and many thousands of
    games if you want to let your hair down someday.

    --
    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
    542nd mechanized infantry batallion
    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios, Apr 29, 2006