Monitor Calibration, Gamma/Brightness Problem

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by ebaycostanalyzer@gmail.com, Sep 13, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hello all,

    I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions to help me with my
    monitor calibration ...

    I've been using Norma Koren's tutorial
    (http://www.normankoren.com/makingfineprints1A.html) to try and set up
    the proper gamma and brightness etc, on my monitor, but I still can't
    get it right. I'm using an LG L1952 monitor, with an ATI Xpert2000
    video card.

    When using the gamma and black level charts
    (http://www.normankoren.com/makingfineprints1A.html#gammachart), I
    can't make the two horizontally-striped gamma vertical bands gray-out
    at any gamma value. Every gamma I try from 1.4-3.0 leaves me with
    distinct bands that are darker than the surrounding gray (I understand
    that the vertical bands are supposed to become gray, and merge with the
    adjacent pattern as one changes gamma levels).

    I'm at about my wits end ... Is this a brightness/contrast problem? Is
    this a monitor or a video card problem? I've tried setting
    contrast/brightness/gamma on the monitor, and brightness on the video
    card (it doesn't have gamma adjustment).

    Any help is appreciated,

    Thanks

    Steve
    , Sep 13, 2006

  2. Steve Wolfe Guest

    > I've been using Norma Koren's tutorial
    > (http://www.normankoren.com/makingfineprints1A.html) to try and set up
    > the proper gamma and brightness etc, on my monitor, but I still can't
    > get it right. I'm using an LG L1952 monitor, with an ATI Xpert2000
    > video card.

    > I'm at about my wits end ... Is this a brightness/contrast problem? Is
    > this a monitor or a video card problem? I've tried setting
    > contrast/brightness/gamma on the monitor, and brightness on the video
    > card (it doesn't have gamma adjustment).

    It could be several things. If you're using her techniques, why not ask
    her?

    Even if you use such tests and manage to get the gamma correct, you still
    can't get your white balance and color temperature correct. And even if you
    got lucky and did, that doesn't mean that the rest of your colors would be
    right, as the response to the color input is somewhat irregular and
    nonlinear, and to make it worse, each gun will be slightly different. Even
    when gamma, brightness, contrast, and white balance are set with a hardware
    calibrater, before the appropriate curves are generated, greys are usually
    somewhat off-grey.

    Now that I've said all of that, here's the short summary: Without a
    hardware calibrater, you're not going to do any better than get vaguely in
    the neighborhood. If you want or need better than that, you need a hardware
    calibrater. You can buy one, borrow one, or pay someone to do it for you.

    steve
    Steve Wolfe, Sep 13, 2006

  3. bmoag Guest

    Monitor calibration devices start at less than $100. Even the least of these
    devices will yield superior results to trying to calibrate by eye and more
    than pay for themselves in improved print quality IF USED PROPERLY.
    bmoag, Sep 13, 2006
  4. John Turco Guest

    Steve Wolfe wrote:

    > > I've been using Norma Koren's tutorial
    > > (http://www.normankoren.com/makingfineprints1A.html) to try and set up
    > > the proper gamma and brightness etc, on my monitor, but I still can't
    > > get it right. I'm using an LG L1952 monitor, with an ATI Xpert2000
    > > video card.

    > > I'm at about my wits end ... Is this a brightness/contrast problem? Is
    > > this a monitor or a video card problem? I've tried setting
    > > contrast/brightness/gamma on the monitor, and brightness on the video
    > > card (it doesn't have gamma adjustment).

    > It could be several things. If you're using her techniques, why not ask
    > her?

    <edited, for brevity>

    Hello, Steve:

    "Her techniques?" The name in question is Norman Koren, not Norma
    Koren. :)

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>
    John Turco, Sep 15, 2006