    West Denver area chess?

    Please join us for informal Sunday chess in Lakewood. Join the
    Yahoo group:

    Lakewood Chess, Apr 30, 2006

  2. Lakewood Chess

    philo Guest

    "Lakewood Chess" <> wrote in message
    news:Xns97B4B98EEF5D1chess@216.196.97.142...
    >I have a Viewsonic E90 19" monitor that's about 5 years old, used
    > maybe 50 hrs a week on average. It's getting pretty blurry.
    >
    > Can it be tuned up or adjusted, or just dump it?

    CRT's have an internal focus adjustment that usually is good for getting
    another year or two out of a blurry monitor

    *HOWEVER* even with the monitor unplugged from the wall...
    there can still be high voltage present...possibly lethal!

    In less one knows exactly what they are doing...it's best NOT to open the
    thing up

    philo, Apr 30, 2006

  3. Lakewood Chess

    Jimchip Guest

    On 2006-04-30, Lakewood Chess <> wrote:
    > I have a Viewsonic E90 19" monitor that's about 5 years old, used
    > maybe 50 hrs a week on average. It's getting pretty blurry.
    >
    > Can it be tuned up or adjusted, or just dump it?

    Have you done normal maintainance like periodic degaussing:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Degaussing

    You can fool around with the controls without opening it up and make
    adjustments. 5 years isn't that old.

    --
    Viewsonics are usually long-lived.

    Jimchip, Apr 30, 2006
  4. Lakewood Chess

    JANA Guest

    When the picture starts to get soft, this is usually a sign that the tube is
    getting weak.

    Sometimes, adjusting the internal focus adjustment for the tube may help
    out. This fix is usually temporary.

    The focus adjustment on some monitors is on the CRT circuit board. It may
    also be on the high voltage multiplier module that is located as part of the
    flyback transformer assembly. In some of the older monitors, the high
    voltage multiplier is a separate module from the flyback, and or the focus
    control may be separately located. In most monitors, the focus control is
    labelled.

    Some of the higher end monitors have two focus controls. One of them does
    the vertical axis, and the other does the horizontal access. The label next
    to the control may say something like Focus H, or FH, for the horizontal. It
    is respective for the vertical.

    For adjusting the focus, it is best to use a grating pattern. This way, the
    best point can be judged. Take care that when the best focus for the screen
    centre is achieved, the side or corner focus may be effected. This effect
    will be more pronounced when the CRT is weak.

    There are very serious safety issues when servicing monitors. They are best
    serviced by a properly trained and equipped monitor technician. It may be
    worth it for you to spend the few dollars and have an experienced service
    technician perform the focus adjustment for you.

    Personaly, I would go out and get a nice LCD monitor. I prefer the LCD
    displays over the CRT monitors for many reasons.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    JANA, Apr 30, 2006
  5. Lakewood Chess

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 19:14:27 -0500, Lakewood Chess wrote:

    > I have a Viewsonic E90 19" monitor that's about 5 years old, used
    > maybe 50 hrs a week on average. It's getting pretty blurry.
    >
    > Can it be tuned up or adjusted, or just dump it?

    Dump.

    Meat Plow, Apr 30, 2006
  6. Lakewood Chess

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:Xns97B4B98EEF5D1chess@216.196.97.142,
    Lakewood Chess spewed forth:
    > I have a Viewsonic E90 19" monitor that's about 5 years old, used
    > maybe 50 hrs a week on average. It's getting pretty blurry.
    >
    > Can it be tuned up or adjusted, or just dump it?

    Get your glasses checked too ;o)

    Toolman Tim, Apr 30, 2006
  7. "Toolman Tim" <> wrote :

    > In news:Xns97B4B98EEF5D1chess@216.196.97.142,
    > Lakewood Chess spewed forth:
    >> I have a Viewsonic E90 19" monitor that's about 5 years old,
    >> used maybe 50 hrs a week on average. It's getting pretty
    >> blurry.
    >>
    >> Can it be tuned up or adjusted, or just dump it?

    > Get your glasses checked too ;o)

    Well I haven't been doing anything that would make me go blind.
    ;-)

    Lakewood Chess, Apr 30, 2006
  8. Lakewood Chess

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:Xns97B5974D06BB6chess@216.196.97.142,
    Lakewood Chess spewed forth:
    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote :
    >
    >> In news:Xns97B4B98EEF5D1chess@216.196.97.142,
    >> Lakewood Chess spewed forth:
    >>> I have a Viewsonic E90 19" monitor that's about 5 years old,
    >>> used maybe 50 hrs a week on average. It's getting pretty
    >>> blurry.
    >>>
    >>> Can it be tuned up or adjusted, or just dump it?

    >> Get your glasses checked too ;o)
    >>

    > Well I haven't been doing anything that would make me go blind.
    > ;-)

    ahhh....

    Well, it was a thought <g>

    Toolman Tim, Apr 30, 2006
  9. Lakewood Chess

    thanatoid Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in

    > In news:Xns97B5974D06BB6chess@216.196.97.142,
    > Lakewood Chess spewed forth:
    >> "Toolman Tim" <> wrote :
    >>
    >>> In news:Xns97B4B98EEF5D1chess@216.196.97.142,
    >>> Lakewood Chess spewed forth:

    >>> Get your glasses checked too ;o)
    >>>

    >> Well I haven't been doing anything that would make me go
    >> blind. ;-)

    > ahhh....
    >
    > Well, it was a thought <g>

    ViewSonics, in spite of the idiotic name (BTW did you know LG
    stands for Lucky Group? I actually preferred it when they were
    called Goldstar!), are usually pretty good.

    A technician should be able to adjust the focus and alignment of
    the tubes (AFAIK the VS's do not use Trinitron tubes which do
    not require alignments since there is only one tube, not three).

    --
    thanatoid-Tip® #11
    No one likes the truth, even if it is someone else's.

    thanatoid, May 1, 2006
  10. Lakewood Chess

    Plato Guest

    Lakewood Chess wrote:

    > I have a Viewsonic E90 19" monitor that's about 5 years old, used
    > maybe 50 hrs a week on average. It's getting pretty blurry.
    >
    > Can it be tuned up or adjusted, or just dump it?

    Take it to the curb for disposal.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, May 2, 2006