    usual proportion 4x3 - is there a simple way to see them with the correct
    proportions without having to modify the files?
    il barbi

    il barbi, Mar 13, 2007

  2. il barbi

    gpaleo Guest

    Ï "il barbi" <> Ýãñáøå óôï ìÞíõìá
    news:45f70d7f$0$10619$...

    > I have a 16x9 type monitor which enlarges in width the .jpg shooted with
    > the usual proportion 4x3 - is there a simple way to see them with the
    > correct proportions without having to modify the files?
    > il barbi

    The software you are using to see your pix will have display options that
    will be useful to you.

    gpaleo, Mar 13, 2007

  3. il barbi

    Jim Townsend Guest

    il barbi wrote:

    > I have a 16x9 type monitor which enlarges in width the .jpg shooted with the
    > usual proportion 4x3 - is there a simple way to see them with the correct
    > proportions without having to modify the files?
    > il barbi

    You have to set the graphics card in your computer to the same aspect
    ratio as your new wide screen.

    If you don't do this, the monitor will widen the image to fit the whole
    screen and it will look like it's been stretched.

    A common resolution for wide flat panel displays is 1680 X 1050.

    NOTE that not all computer graphics cards can display non 4:3 ratios.
    You might have to install a new video card.....

    Jim Townsend, Mar 13, 2007
  4. il barbi

    ray Guest

    On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 21:45:48 +0100, il barbi wrote:

    > I have a 16x9 type monitor which enlarges in width the .jpg shooted with the
    > usual proportion 4x3 - is there a simple way to see them with the correct
    > proportions without having to modify the files?
    > il barbi

    Sure gwenview and kuickshow both have that ability.

    ray, Mar 13, 2007
  5. il barbi

    Ken Lucke Guest

    In article <>, ray
    <> wrote:

    > On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 21:45:48 +0100, il barbi wrote:
    >
    > > I have a 16x9 type monitor which enlarges in width the .jpg shooted with
    > > the
    > > usual proportion 4x3 - is there a simple way to see them with the correct
    > > proportions without having to modify the files?
    > > il barbi

    > Sure gwenview and kuickshow both have that ability.

    Your monitor should not do that, unless you have some funky settings
    somewhere in your display settings.

    You must have a preference set somewhere to stretch your images in
    whatever program you are using - unless you are using an LCD screen
    that also functions as TV screen, and then there are settings (usually
    in the setup menu) that do the automatic stretching/comression from
    "letterbox" (4:3) to/from "widescreen" (16x9) when one or the other is
    not present. Disable that setting and things should be fine.

    independence.
    -- Charles A. Beard

    Ken Lucke, Mar 13, 2007
  6. il barbi

    il barbi Guest

    "Ken Lucke" <> ha scritto nel messaggio
    > In article <>, ray
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 21:45:48 +0100, il barbi wrote:
    >>
    >> > I have a 16x9 type monitor which enlarges in width the .jpg shooted
    >> > with
    >> > the
    >> > usual proportion 4x3 - is there a simple way to see them with the
    >> > correct
    >> > proportions without having to modify the files?
    >> > il barbi

    >> Sure gwenview and kuickshow both have that ability.

    > Your monitor should not do that, unless you have some funky settings
    > somewhere in your display settings.
    >
    > You must have a preference set somewhere to stretch your images in
    > whatever program you are using - unless you are using an LCD screen
    > that also functions as TV screen, and then there are settings (usually
    > in the setup menu) that do the automatic stretching/comression from
    > "letterbox" (4:3) to/from "widescreen" (16x9) when one or the other is
    > not present. Disable that setting and things should be fine.

    I refer to the image viewer of Windows XP - now I'm not able to find any
    control compressing authomatically the image to the ratio 4:3 - I wonder if
    other people have the same problem or if it's only mine...
    il barbi

    il barbi, Mar 13, 2007
  7. "il barbi" <> wrote in message
    >I have a 16x9 type monitor

    16:10, I think you mean. Widescreen TVs are 16:9, but every widescreen
    monitor I've seen has been 16:10. Close, but not quite as wide.

    > which enlarges in width the .jpg shooted with the usual proportion 4x3 -
    > is there a simple way to see them with the correct proportions without
    > having to modify the files?
    > il barbi

    The drivers for your graphics card (unless it's a real oldie) should have a
    control that allows you to keep the original aspect ratio, which will
    correct your stretched width problem. If you can't find it, reply here with
    details about your graphics card and drivers, and probably one of us can
    help you.

    Neil

    Neil Harrington, Mar 14, 2007
  8. il barbi

    il barbi Guest

    "Jim Townsend" <> ha scritto nel messaggio
    > il barbi wrote:
    >
    >> I have a 16x9 type monitor which enlarges in width the .jpg shooted with
    >> the
    >> usual proportion 4x3 - is there a simple way to see them with the correct
    >> proportions without having to modify the files?
    >> il barbi

    > You have to set the graphics card in your computer to the same aspect
    > ratio as your new wide screen.
    >
    > If you don't do this, the monitor will widen the image to fit the whole
    > screen and it will look like it's been stretched.
    >
    > A common resolution for wide flat panel displays is 1680 X 1050.
    >
    > NOTE that not all computer graphics cards can display non 4:3 ratios.
    > You might have to install a new video card.....

    ok you are right! I had video resolution 1024x768 which is the ratio of my
    previous 4:3 screen... now I set 1152x720 (ratio 1,6) and all is ok
    thank you
    il barbi

    il barbi, Mar 14, 2007