Money well spent for an upgrade?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Brendon, Mar 27, 2006.

  1. Brendon

    Brendon Guest

    Have approx $500, and existing parts from current box incl. DVDRW, HDD,
    monitor, mouse, keybd.
    Looking at a new system, on the cheap, but reasonable specs - hows this
    sound?

    ATX Case, P4 with 2 x front USB ports, 2 bays, 400W PSU incl.
    AMD Sempron 3000+ Socket 754 64bit with fan
    Gigabyte GA K8VM800M Athlon 64 DDR400, SATA/ATA/RAID AGP 8x, LAN
    2 x 512 DDR 400 sticks
    1 x 80GB ATA HDD
    All cables.

    Oh and thats built by the shop for $550. (local - Tauranga - not Auckland)
    Is that fairly reasonable?
    Can I get better for $500? - without having to do it myself? Basically I
    want it all up and running, and I'll just install the DVD drive, and then
    the OS when I get it home.

    Cheers
    Brendon
    Brendon, Mar 27, 2006

  2. Brendon

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Brendon wrote:
    > Have approx $500, and existing parts from current box incl. DVDRW,
    > HDD, monitor, mouse, keybd.
    > Looking at a new system, on the cheap, but reasonable specs - hows
    > this sound?
    >
    > ATX Case, P4 with 2 x front USB ports, 2 bays, 400W PSU incl.
    > AMD Sempron 3000+ Socket 754 64bit with fan
    > Gigabyte GA K8VM800M Athlon 64 DDR400, SATA/ATA/RAID AGP 8x, LAN
    > 2 x 512 DDR 400 sticks
    > 1 x 80GB ATA HDD
    > All cables.
    >
    > Oh and thats built by the shop for $550. (local - Tauranga - not
    > Auckland) Is that fairly reasonable?
    > Can I get better for $500? - without having to do it myself?
    > Basically I want it all up and running, and I'll just install the DVD
    > drive, and then the OS when I get it home.

    Hmm, sounds Ok. If your current system has a reasonable PSU I'd be tempted
    to see if you cab use it. I've bought a couple of cheap ($40 - $60) cases
    that include "400W" PSUs and have had problems with the PSU.

    I take it that's your own 80GB HDD they're putting in? (As you say you have
    HDD in existing parts from current PC that you want to use and you say
    you'll just install the DVD drive.

    That system should keep you going for a while. :) You can always get a
    faster CPU later when they''re cheaper if you so desire. Don't wait for them
    (Socket 939) CPUs to be phased out before trying to buy though. Get one
    while they're still being sold. I've made that mistake, wanting an Athlon XP
    CPU with a 133MHz FSB. The ones on Trademe are going for more than they were
    selling for new at the end of their production cycle.

    Cheers,
    --
    ~Shaun~
    ~misfit~, Mar 27, 2006

  3. Brendon

    PC Guest

    "Brendon" <> wrote in message
    > Have approx $500, and existing parts from current box incl. DVDRW, HDD,
    > monitor, mouse, keybd.
    > Looking at a new system, on the cheap, but reasonable specs - hows this
    > sound?
    >
    > ATX Case, P4 with 2 x front USB ports, 2 bays, 400W PSU incl.
    > AMD Sempron 3000+ Socket 754 64bit with fan
    > Gigabyte GA K8VM800M Athlon 64 DDR400, SATA/ATA/RAID AGP 8x, LAN
    > 2 x 512 DDR 400 sticks
    > 1 x 80GB ATA HDD
    > All cables.
    >
    > Oh and thats built by the shop for $550. (local - Tauranga - not Auckland)
    > Is that fairly reasonable?
    > Can I get better for $500? - without having to do it myself? Basically I
    > want it all up and running, and I'll just install the DVD drive, and then
    > the OS when I get it home.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Brendon

    Brendon

    On paper (!) it looks OK but only you can judge the 'quality of the bits,
    particularly case and Psu.

    I'ts fairly common knowledge the 754 socket is going nowhere, but when you
    start adding in the $ for a 939 board and CPU it suddenly becomes another
    ball game, ie takes it out of the budget bracket.

    I don't know that I entirely agree with ~misfit~ about getting a faster CPU
    just before the model stops production.
    (BTW I don't think ~misfit~ read your post properly, a 939 don't go into a
    754 !)
    At one time yes!, for example socket 7 boards managed to handle a very wide
    range of CPU's (with exceptions of course)
    However I think you will find by the time the last CPU for any given
    motherboard ceases production the improvements in other aspects of
    motherboard technology will make a newer CPU in an older motherboard poor
    value.

    Put anotherway a middle of the road 'new' cpu/motherboard is likely to
    perform better than a 'fastest' cpu on an older motherboard.
    Plus you get any improvement in connection standards and other 'practical'
    benefits eg more USB, perhaps Firewire 2 included.

    Cheers
    Paul.
    PC, Mar 27, 2006
  4. Brendon

    Brendon Guest

    Cheers Paul, I think it is prob the system I will go for. Seems like a
    reasonable way to spend the money, and they are putting in a new HDD, as
    well as I will install the existing one. So, a bit of a bonus there.
    Thanks for the tips.
    Brendon

    Brendon, Mar 27, 2006
  5. Brendon

    Brendon Guest

    Thanks Misfit, I think that I'd probably do the same sort of changes in
    about 4-5years time, rather than try and get bits/pieces that can be added
    to, like a great expensive mb now, and then try to get a matching CPU in
    years to come. Easy to just re-do the whole thing each time, and is only
    $500 again in afew years. Easy peasy.
    Cheers for the comments.
    Brendon

    Brendon, Mar 27, 2006
  6. Brendon

    RJ Guest

    In article <26KVf.8840$>,
    says...
    > Have approx $500, and existing parts from current box incl. DVDRW, HDD,
    > monitor, mouse, keybd.
    > Looking at a new system, on the cheap, but reasonable specs - hows this
    > sound?
    >
    > ATX Case, P4 with 2 x front USB ports, 2 bays, 400W PSU incl.
    > AMD Sempron 3000+ Socket 754 64bit with fan
    > Gigabyte GA K8VM800M Athlon 64 DDR400, SATA/ATA/RAID AGP 8x, LAN
    > 2 x 512 DDR 400 sticks
    > 1 x 80GB ATA HDD

    Should be SATA?
    RJ, Mar 28, 2006
  7. Brendon

    RJ Guest

    In article <e09f3t$fb1$>, says...
    > Thanks Misfit, I think that I'd probably do the same sort of changes in
    > about 4-5years time, rather than try and get bits/pieces that can be added
    > to, like a great expensive mb now, and then try to get a matching CPU in
    > years to come. Easy to just re-do the whole thing each time, and is only
    > $500 again in afew years. Easy peasy.
    > Cheers for the comments.

    In a few years time likely your HDD will have been replaced along with
    DVD RW, maybe the monitor as well. So is this cheaper than buying new?
    It's pretty marginal I would say, as is all second hand or upgrade
    purchasing.
    RJ, Mar 28, 2006
  8. Brendon

    ~misfit~ Guest

    PC wrote:
    > "Brendon" <> wrote in message
    >> Have approx $500, and existing parts from current box incl. DVDRW,
    >> HDD, monitor, mouse, keybd.
    >> Looking at a new system, on the cheap, but reasonable specs - hows
    >> this sound?
    >>
    >> ATX Case, P4 with 2 x front USB ports, 2 bays, 400W PSU incl.
    >> AMD Sempron 3000+ Socket 754 64bit with fan
    >> Gigabyte GA K8VM800M Athlon 64 DDR400, SATA/ATA/RAID AGP 8x, LAN
    >> 2 x 512 DDR 400 sticks
    >> 1 x 80GB ATA HDD
    >> All cables.
    >>
    >> Oh and thats built by the shop for $550. (local - Tauranga - not
    >> Auckland) Is that fairly reasonable?
    >> Can I get better for $500? - without having to do it myself?
    >> Basically I want it all up and running, and I'll just install the
    >> DVD drive, and then the OS when I get it home.
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >> Brendon

    > Brendon
    >
    > On paper (!) it looks OK but only you can judge the 'quality of the
    > bits, particularly case and Psu.
    >
    > I'ts fairly common knowledge the 754 socket is going nowhere, but
    > when you start adding in the $ for a 939 board and CPU it suddenly
    > becomes another ball game, ie takes it out of the budget bracket.
    >
    > I don't know that I entirely agree with ~misfit~ about getting a
    > faster CPU just before the model stops production.
    > (BTW I don't think ~misfit~ read your post properly, a 939 don't go
    > into a 754 !)

    Thanks for pointing that out. For some reason I read the OP as a Socket 939
    board/CPU.

    I'll flagellate myself for an extra hour tonight as penance.
    --
    ~Shaun~
    ~misfit~, Mar 28, 2006
  9. Brendon

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Brendon wrote:
    > Thanks Misfit, I think that I'd probably do the same sort of changes
    > in about 4-5years time, rather than try and get bits/pieces that can
    > be added to, like a great expensive mb now, and then try to get a
    > matching CPU in years to come. Easy to just re-do the whole thing
    > each time, and is only $500 again in afew years. Easy peasy.
    > Cheers for the comments.
    > Brendon

    Aye, when you look at it that way it is quite cheap.

    BTW, my bad, I got a bit confuddled and mixed up my sockets, for some reason
    I read 939 instead of 754. I've gotta try to stop taking these quinnine
    sulphate tablets, I get bouts of blurry vision from them. At first I thought
    it was getting old, then I read that it was a known side-effect of quinnine
    sulphate and it started a few weeks after I started taking them. Bloody
    doctor didn't warn me and they just come in a bottle, no manufacturers
    leaflet with side-effects, contra-indications etc. like some meds.

    Cheers,
    --
    ~Shaun~

    ~misfit~, Mar 28, 2006
  10. Brendon

    PC Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > PC wrote:
    >> "Brendon" <> wrote in message
    >>> Have approx $500, and existing parts from current box incl. DVDRW,
    >>> HDD, monitor, mouse, keybd.
    >>> Looking at a new system, on the cheap, but reasonable specs - hows
    >>> this sound?
    >>>
    >>> ATX Case, P4 with 2 x front USB ports, 2 bays, 400W PSU incl.
    >>> AMD Sempron 3000+ Socket 754 64bit with fan
    >>> Gigabyte GA K8VM800M Athlon 64 DDR400, SATA/ATA/RAID AGP 8x, LAN
    >>> 2 x 512 DDR 400 sticks
    >>> 1 x 80GB ATA HDD
    >>> All cables.
    >>>
    >>> Oh and thats built by the shop for $550. (local - Tauranga - not
    >>> Auckland) Is that fairly reasonable?
    >>> Can I get better for $500? - without having to do it myself?
    >>> Basically I want it all up and running, and I'll just install the
    >>> DVD drive, and then the OS when I get it home.
    >>>
    >>> Cheers
    >>> Brendon

    >> Brendon
    >>
    >> On paper (!) it looks OK but only you can judge the 'quality of the
    >> bits, particularly case and Psu.
    >>
    >> I'ts fairly common knowledge the 754 socket is going nowhere, but
    >> when you start adding in the $ for a 939 board and CPU it suddenly
    >> becomes another ball game, ie takes it out of the budget bracket.
    >>
    >> I don't know that I entirely agree with ~misfit~ about getting a
    >> faster CPU just before the model stops production.
    >> (BTW I don't think ~misfit~ read your post properly, a 939 don't go
    >> into a 754 !)

    > Thanks for pointing that out. For some reason I read the OP as a Socket
    > 939 board/CPU.
    >
    > I'll flagellate myself for an extra hour tonight as penance.
    > --
    > ~Shaun~

    Hi Shaun

    You are pardoned. :)

    Truth be known, deep down you probably hanker after a nice Athlon 64 939
    dual core, don't you?

    Go on admit it, I do! ::--))

    Cheers
    Paul.
    PC, Mar 28, 2006
  11. Brendon

    ~misfit~ Guest

    PC wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    >> Thanks for pointing that out. For some reason I read the OP as a
    >> Socket 939 board/CPU.
    >>
    >> I'll flagellate myself for an extra hour tonight as penance.
    >> --
    >> ~Shaun~

    > Hi Shaun
    >
    > You are pardoned. :)
    >
    > Truth be known, deep down you probably hanker after a nice Athlon 64
    > 939 dual core, don't you?
    >
    > Go on admit it, I do! ::--))
    >
    > Cheers

    Oh yeah, I'd love one. However, practicalities mean that I'll be using my
    Socket A Barton for a while longer yet. :)
    --
    ~Shaun~
    ~misfit~, Mar 29, 2006
  12. Brendon

    Mercury Guest

    > I've gotta try to stop taking these quinnine sulphate tablets, I get bouts
    > of blurry vision from them. At first I thought it was getting old, then I
    > read that it was a known side-effect of quinnine sulphate and it started a
    > few weeks after I started taking them. Bloody doctor didn't warn me and
    > they just come in a bottle, no manufacturers leaflet with side-effects,
    > contra-indications etc. like some meds.

    There is a very well known drug to combat the side effects of quininue - its
    called G&T. Specifically it is a chemical in the T component - the G
    component fixes the side effects of fowl taste from the T part.

    Trust me, I know. Quinine is no fun particularly when you have an allergy to
    it but have to take it anyway. The treatment for malaria was worse than the
    malaria itself.
    Mercury, Mar 31, 2006
  13. Brendon

    Shane Guest

    Mercury wrote:

    >> I've gotta try to stop taking these quinnine sulphate tablets, I get
    >> bouts of blurry vision from them. At first I thought it was getting old,
    >> then I read that it was a known side-effect of quinnine sulphate and it
    >> started a few weeks after I started taking them. Bloody doctor didn't
    >> warn me and they just come in a bottle, no manufacturers leaflet with
    >> side-effects, contra-indications etc. like some meds.

    > There is a very well known drug to combat the side effects of quininue -
    > its called G&T. Specifically it is a chemical in the T component - the G
    > component fixes the side effects of fowl taste from the T part.
    >
    > Trust me, I know. Quinine is no fun particularly when you have an allergy
    > to it but have to take it anyway. The treatment for malaria was worse than
    > the malaria itself.

    Wasnt that the reason Gin & Tonic was so popular amongst the British during
    the raj?
    http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a990813.html

    Tonic water contains less than 20 milligrams of quinine per six fluid
    ounces. The recommended quinine dosage for treatment of malaria is two or
    three 200-350 milligram tablets three times a day. If you drink the
    equivalent of that in gin and tonics, malaria will be the least of your
    problems.

    Tonic water was never intended as a cure or preventive for malaria, but
    malaria is the reason the quinine is in there. Quinine has a bitter taste.
    To make the stuff palatable when used as an antidote for fevers, legend has
    it, British colonials in India mixed quinine with gin and lemon or lime.
    Over time they learned to love the godawful stuff. (You can see this
    principle at work in a lot of British cuisine.) Tonic water was granted an
    English patent in 1858, Schweppes brought it to the United States in 1953,
    and to this day it remains an essential component of Anglo-American
    mixology. Quinine is also used, along with other herbs, to flavor vermouth.
    Shane, Mar 31, 2006
  14. Brendon

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Mercury wrote:
    >> I've gotta try to stop taking these quinnine sulphate tablets, I get
    >> bouts of blurry vision from them. At first I thought it was getting
    >> old, then I read that it was a known side-effect of quinnine
    >> sulphate and it started a few weeks after I started taking them.
    >> Bloody doctor didn't warn me and they just come in a bottle, no
    >> manufacturers leaflet with side-effects, contra-indications etc.
    >> like some meds.

    > There is a very well known drug to combat the side effects of
    > quininue - its called G&T. Specifically it is a chemical in the T
    > component - the G component fixes the side effects of fowl taste from
    > the T part.

    That's really good to know, I'll take it up with my doctor next visit,
    thanks.

    > Trust me, I know. Quinine is no fun particularly when you have an
    > allergy to it but have to take it anyway. The treatment for malaria
    > was worse than the malaria itself.

    Well, happily I don't have malaria, I'm prescribed quinine for "night leg
    cramps" or, more acurately, cramps on waking. Just started about 2 years ago
    (I think it may have something to do with my back injury and associated
    radiculopathy), as I wake and sort of stretch a little in bed one or other
    of my calf muscles will cramp to the extent that it can tear the muscle and
    leave me limping for days. Really not pleasant when walking is already
    painful. I'm lucky I never had a day when they both did it.

    The doc says that quinine has been known to work but nobody seems to know
    why (I wonder how they found out). During the first year of taking it the
    cramps decreased significantly and now I haven't had one for tw0 months and
    it was about four months before that. A lot better than several times a
    month, sometimes several times a week.

    Heh! I'm an idiot! It's been so long since I could afford to drink alcohol I
    didn't get the G&T reference until I just started to proof-read. Cheeky
    bugger! <g>

    Sadly the alcohol and tobacco went the way of the dinosaurs after my budget
    dropped to W&I's invalid benefit. Well, not so sadly for the tobacco, it's
    over two years now and I never feel like having a ciggy anymore. :) Maybe
    if I was still drinking alcohol it wouldn't have been so "easy" to give up
    the 'baccy.

    Mmmmm! Ice-cold G&T with a squeeze of fresh lemon in a tall glass on a sunny
    Sunday afternoon. Sadly I don't think I could afford to drink enough G&T to
    make up the required 300mg of quinine sulphate I take nightly unless it was
    really weak. Then I'd be up all night unrinating.

    :)
    --
    ~Shaun~ (Heh! Had to have a little smile at the "fowl taste" bit. Had
    visions of people at the Schweppes factory squeezing chickens to get the
    ~misfit~, Apr 1, 2006
  15. ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Well, happily I don't have malaria, I'm prescribed quinine for "night leg
    > cramps" or, more acurately, cramps on waking. Just started about 2 years ago
    > (I think it may have something to do with my back injury and associated
    > radiculopathy), as I wake and sort of stretch a little in bed one or other
    > of my calf muscles will cramp to the extent that it can tear the muscle and
    > leave me limping for days. Really not pleasant when walking is already
    > painful. I'm lucky I never had a day when they both did it.

    How's your electrolyte balance when you get these cramps ? Especially your
    potassium level.

    Do you eat any bananas ?

    Mark
    Mark Robinson, Apr 1, 2006
  16. Brendon

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Mark Robinson wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Well, happily I don't have malaria, I'm prescribed quinine for
    >> "night leg cramps" or, more acurately, cramps on waking. Just
    >> started about 2 years ago (I think it may have something to do with
    >> my back injury and associated radiculopathy), as I wake and sort of
    >> stretch a little in bed one or other of my calf muscles will cramp
    >> to the extent that it can tear the muscle and leave me limping for
    >> days. Really not pleasant when walking is already painful. I'm lucky
    >> I never had a day when they both did it.

    > How's your electrolyte balance when you get these cramps ? Especially
    > your potassium level.

    Pass.

    > Do you eat any bananas ?

    Usually around 3-4 a week.

    Seems strange that I've never had cramp in my life, (44 now, 42 when this
    started) my diet hasn't changed much at all, yet suddenly I start getting
    this problem a couple years ago. I'm inclined to think it's related to the
    compression fracture of the vertebrae I have as, now and then I "hurt"
    myself more doing little things and the pattern of pain/radiculopathy
    changes. Maybe not though huh?

    Cheers,
    --
    ~Shaun~
    ~misfit~, Apr 1, 2006
  17. Brendon

    Mercury Guest

    Correct. It is not a recommended form of self medication though as you can
    see by the volumes required. the alternatives aren't much better - one used
    to leave me feeling sick for the remainder of the week in which I took it so
    I perpetually was i'll with side effects, but no malaria. I then heard that
    by comparison it was more efffective not to take any drugs, get malaria and
    then when that happened get rid of the malaria - less fuss and bother and
    the side effects lasted only 2 weeks rather than non stop.

    The joys of living in the tropics...

    Mercury, Apr 4, 2006