    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 25, 2006

  2. Hmm, doesn't really grab me, I would have preferred Windows Command Shell.
    Thanks for the update Charlie.
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Apr 25, 2006

  3. I suspect we all might have chosen something different, but there it is -
    none of us are in either MS marketing or MS legal. Ultimately, decisions
    like this get made by the latter, I might add.

    See my blog this morning for some important changes that come with the new
    name.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 25, 2006
  4. Charlie Russel - MVP

    jacob navia Guest

    Charlie Russel - MVP a écrit :
    > As announced this morning, the new interactive shell and scripting language
    > from Microsoft will be called the Windows PowerShell. Release date is Q4
    > 2006, and RC1 will be available on the MS Download Center sometime today.
    >
    > And yes, it runs as a native 64-bit shell, of course.

    Hi

    I sent this same report when we discussed the microsoft shell. I thought
    it would have been corrected but...

    PROGRESS IN DATA PROCESSING
    ---------------------------

    I started the shell. It takes around 9 seconds just to display the
    prompt. Machine: AMD64 with 1GB RAM.

    Compare with cmd.exe, that takes no time.

    Then, I issued the command:

    ls -R | grep edit5.c

    The equivalent command in cmd.exe is
    dir /s | grep edit5.c
    and takes around 2 seconds to complete.

    POWERSHELL took 3 minutes 30 seconds to complete.
    Around 210 seconds, an improvement of 2 orders of magnitude.

    cmd.exe did not use any new memory to furnish the result.
    POWERSHELL used 220 MB of RAM to do that, and did NOT release the
    memory when done. It stays at 200MB.

    This proves the superiority of object oriented programming and
    the .NET framework.

    You have too much RAM?

    Use powershell.

    You are always in a hurry and yearn for the coffe break?

    Issue a command under POWERSHELL and go, take a break!

    All that is impossible under the old cmd.exe...

    ***Progress in data processing means always slower programs that use
    more memory to do the same thing that the old version did better!***

    But POWERSHELL is the way of the future. .NET is here to stay.

    Gone are the days when efficiency was important. Welcome to
    the future, where you will have at last the same speed of your
    old 286 under MSDOS. (Excuse me but I think that even MSDOS was faster).

    What happened?
    --------------

    When Microsoft started .NET, (around 2003) we were still in the
    exponential growth phase of CPU speeds.

    Each year, the GHZ doubled and the RAM doubled too. We were so
    used to that exponential growth, that Microsoft thought that today
    we would have 8GHZ machines with 16GB of RAM.

    But then it stopped. The 4GHZ barrier proved definitive. No more
    exponential growth. From now on it will be much more difficult,
    as Intel discovered.

    And .NET?

    If the exponential phase had lasted, .NET would have won.
    BUT...

    It will be much more difficult now. As Sun/JAVA discovered too.
    If each program takes hundreds or even thousands of MB to run,
    you just can't run so much programs any more... The server crashes,
    the user complains, the response time goes down the drain.

    I think, the C language has a future.

    jacob

    P.S. To reproduce this go to the some directory with some files in it:

    dir /S /B | wc

    gives 59031 lines, i.e. around 60 thousand files, not a lot for today's
    hard disks.

    jacob navia, Apr 25, 2006
  5. Charlie Russel - MVP

    jacob navia Guest

    P.S.
    I just discovered that Ctrl-C does NOT work with this new shell.
    There is NO WAY to stop a command that takes minutes to complete.
    You can hit Ctrl-Break and that works but kills the whole shell and
    not the command that is running only.

    jacob navia, Apr 26, 2006
  6. Hmmm. . .well, since they've come up with a release date and name, the
    fixing of any inconsistencies should be on schedule too? Or they re-named
    Ctrl-C to something else?

    (tried Ctrl-Z?)

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Apr 26, 2006
  7. for the moment, I'd suggest discussions of PowerShell features and foibles
    belongs over on the server.scripting newsgroup. We'll have our own PS
    newsgroup soon, but it will be a few weeks, I suspect. I posted this here
    only to let fellow 64-bit users know it was out and available, not to bore
    them with long discussions about features - that's better over in a group
    focused around scripting.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64