Moki Dugway

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Gary Edstrom, Oct 28, 2006.

  1. Gary Edstrom

    Gary Edstrom Guest

    Moki Dugway...Now there's an unusual name!

    It is a short 3 mile stretch of State Route 261 Northwest of Mexican
    Hat, Utah. For this short stretch, the road becomes a steep, windy,
    narrow, dirt road with sharp hairpin turns that climbs 1,100 feet up a
    steep bluff. The road drops right off the edge with no guard rails. In
    fact, there were a couple of spots where a little of the edge had caved
    away.

    I had been up the road twice before, but I had never driven down it. I
    just put the van in first gear and took it slow and easy down the grade.
    There are a couple of turnouts where I stopped to take pictures, but
    none of them really capture how the road just climbs right up the bluff.
    This is probably the best picture of the group.

    Moki Dugway - SR 261 - Utah
    http://gbe.dynip.com/Utah/S04383A.JPG

    All previously posted pictures from my trip may be viewed here:
    http://gbe.dynip.com/Utah
    Gary Edstrom, Oct 28, 2006

  2. "Gary Edstrom" <> wrote in message
    > Moki Dugway...Now there's an unusual name!
    >
    > It is a short 3 mile stretch of State Route 261 Northwest of Mexican
    > Hat, Utah. For this short stretch, the road becomes a steep, windy,
    > narrow, dirt road with sharp hairpin turns that climbs 1,100 feet up a
    > steep bluff. The road drops right off the edge with no guard rails. In
    > fact, there were a couple of spots where a little of the edge had caved
    > away.
    >
    > I had been up the road twice before, but I had never driven down it. I
    > just put the van in first gear and took it slow and easy down the grade.
    > There are a couple of turnouts where I stopped to take pictures, but
    > none of them really capture how the road just climbs right up the bluff.
    > This is probably the best picture of the group.
    >
    > Moki Dugway - SR 261 - Utah
    > http://gbe.dynip.com/Utah/S04383A.JPG

    Makes me dizzy, or perhaps affirms it.
    Charles Schuler, Oct 28, 2006

  3. Gary Edstrom

    Marvin Guest

    Gary Edstrom wrote:
    > Moki Dugway...Now there's an unusual name!
    >
    > It is a short 3 mile stretch of State Route 261 Northwest of Mexican
    > Hat, Utah. For this short stretch, the road becomes a steep, windy,
    > narrow, dirt road with sharp hairpin turns that climbs 1,100 feet up a
    > steep bluff. The road drops right off the edge with no guard rails. In
    > fact, there were a couple of spots where a little of the edge had caved
    > away.
    >
    > I had been up the road twice before, but I had never driven down it. I
    > just put the van in first gear and took it slow and easy down the grade.
    > There are a couple of turnouts where I stopped to take pictures, but
    > none of them really capture how the road just climbs right up the bluff.
    > This is probably the best picture of the group.

    It reminds me of the road through Hai Van Pass, between Hue
    and Danang in Viet Nam. But that road is paved and carries
    a great deal of truck traffic. There are points along the
    road where truck engines can be cooled off with streams of
    water, diverted from streams coming down the hillside.
    There are some photos at
    http://www.users.cloud9.net/~physchem/Danang/index.htm,
    but they hardly show the many switchbacks. I was on a bus
    when I took them, and there was no way to get off for photos.
    Marvin, Nov 2, 2006