Moisture in the tool box - again!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Grandpa Chuck, Jan 12, 2008.

  1. I bought some new rather expensive hand tools and decided to clean out
    my Craftsman 12 drawer tool box and another six drawer one in order to
    rearrange tool and get rid of those that are no longer used.

    A few months ago after asking about rust on some of the tools I was
    advised to wrpe they down with gun oil. I did so after wiping all the
    moisture out of the drawer. I also covered the
    tools in each drawer with a paper towel that I sprayed oil on.

    Well, tonight I discovered every single drawer had moisture in the
    front left corner. I had each drawer lined with rubber. When I picked
    it up each and every one of them was covered with water on the under
    side.

    Our basement is dry, especially this time of the year. There are no
    water pipes anywhere near the tool boxes.

    We have taken every tool out of them and wiped them down with gun oil.
    We also have wiped the drawers dry with paper towels. Right now the
    tool boxes are setting with the drawers empty and pulled part way out
    to make sure they are completely dry before putting any tools in them.

    I am wondering if the open waffle type rubber mats might work better
    since they should not collect moister.

    Most importantly, I am wondering what I can do in order to prevent
    this from happening again, especially since I bought some pretty
    expensive hand tools this time.

    Suggestions please?

    Thank you all so much for all of the help you have given me before.
    Grandpa Chuck, Jan 12, 2008

  2. Grandpa Chuck

    G. Morgan Guest

    Grandpa Chuck wrote:

    >I bought some new rather expensive hand tools and decided to clean out
    >my Craftsman 12 drawer tool box and another six drawer one in order to
    >rearrange tool and get rid of those that are no longer used.
    >
    >A few months ago after asking about rust on some of the tools I was
    >advised to wrpe they down with gun oil. I did so after wiping all the
    >moisture out of the drawer. I also covered the
    >tools in each drawer with a paper towel that I sprayed oil on.
    >
    >Well, tonight I discovered every single drawer had moisture in the
    >front left corner. I had each drawer lined with rubber. When I picked
    >it up each and every one of them was covered with water on the under
    >side.
    >
    >Our basement is dry, especially this time of the year. There are no
    >water pipes anywhere near the tool boxes.
    >
    >We have taken every tool out of them and wiped them down with gun oil.
    >We also have wiped the drawers dry with paper towels. Right now the
    >tool boxes are setting with the drawers empty and pulled part way out
    >to make sure they are completely dry before putting any tools in them.
    >
    >I am wondering if the open waffle type rubber mats might work better
    >since they should not collect moister.
    >
    >Most importantly, I am wondering what I can do in order to prevent
    >this from happening again, especially since I bought some pretty
    >expensive hand tools this time.
    >
    >Suggestions please?
    >
    >Thank you all so much for all of the help you have given me before.

    [X-posted to alt.home.repair]

    Have you ever noticed when hand tools get wet in the box they smell
    like vomit?

    --

    -G
    G. Morgan, Jan 12, 2008

  3. "G. Morgan" <> wrote in message
    > Grandpa Chuck wrote:
    >
    >>I bought some new rather expensive hand tools and decided to clean out
    >>my Craftsman 12 drawer tool box and another six drawer one in order to
    >>rearrange tool and get rid of those that are no longer used.
    >>
    >>A few months ago after asking about rust on some of the tools I was
    >>advised to wrpe they down with gun oil. I did so after wiping all the
    >>moisture out of the drawer. I also covered the
    >>tools in each drawer with a paper towel that I sprayed oil on.
    >>
    >>Well, tonight I discovered every single drawer had moisture in the
    >>front left corner. I had each drawer lined with rubber. When I picked
    >>it up each and every one of them was covered with water on the under
    >>side.
    >>
    >>Our basement is dry, especially this time of the year. There are no
    >>water pipes anywhere near the tool boxes.
    >>
    >>We have taken every tool out of them and wiped them down with gun oil.
    >>We also have wiped the drawers dry with paper towels. Right now the
    >>tool boxes are setting with the drawers empty and pulled part way out
    >>to make sure they are completely dry before putting any tools in them.
    >>
    >>I am wondering if the open waffle type rubber mats might work better
    >>since they should not collect moister.
    >>
    >>Most importantly, I am wondering what I can do in order to prevent
    >>this from happening again, especially since I bought some pretty
    >>expensive hand tools this time.
    >>
    >>Suggestions please?
    >>
    >>Thank you all so much for all of the help you have given me before.

    > [X-posted to alt.home.repair]
    >
    > Have you ever noticed when hand tools get wet in the box they smell
    > like vomit?

    Yeah...vomit.

    The OP needs a dehumidifier, no matter how dry he thinks his basement is.
    He's obviously wrong.
    JoeSpareBedroom, Jan 12, 2008
  4. Grandpa Chuck

    Leroy Guest

    JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

    > The OP needs a dehumidifier, no matter how dry he thinks his basement is.
    > He's obviously wrong.

    Correct. Another possible solution is to keep the box in a small
    enclosed space with a heat source to keep the tools above
    dew point. A 100 watt bulb works wonders in a small enclosure.

    Leroy
    Leroy, Jan 12, 2008
  5. Grandpa Chuck

    Dan C Guest

    On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 04:20:38 +0000, Grandpa Chuck wrote:

    > Most importantly, I am wondering what I can do in order to prevent
    > this from happening again, especially since I bought some pretty
    > expensive hand tools this time.
    >
    > Suggestions please?

    It's condensation. Get a dehumidifier.

    Dan C, Jan 12, 2008
  6. Grandpa Chuck

    VanguardLH Guest

    "Grandpa Chuck" wrote in message
    > I bought some new rather expensive hand tools and decided to clean
    > out
    > my Craftsman 12 drawer tool box and another six drawer one in order
    > rearrange tool and get rid of those that are no longer used.
    >
    > A few months ago after asking about rust on some of the tools I was
    > advised to wrpe they down with gun oil. I did so after wiping all
    > the
    > moisture out of the drawer. I also covered the
    > tools in each drawer with a paper towel that I sprayed oil on.
    >
    > Well, tonight I discovered every single drawer had moisture in the
    > front left corner. I had each drawer lined with rubber. When I
    > picked
    > it up each and every one of them was covered with water on the under
    > side.
    >
    > Our basement is dry, especially this time of the year. There are no
    > water pipes anywhere near the tool boxes.
    >
    > We have taken every tool out of them and wiped them down with gun
    > oil.
    > We also have wiped the drawers dry with paper towels. Right now the
    > tool boxes are setting with the drawers empty and pulled part way
    > out
    > to make sure they are completely dry before putting any tools in
    > them.
    >
    > I am wondering if the open waffle type rubber mats might work better
    > since they should not collect moister.
    >
    > Most importantly, I am wondering what I can do in order to prevent
    > this from happening again, especially since I bought some pretty
    > expensive hand tools this time.
    >
    > Suggestions please?
    >
    > Thank you all so much for all of the help you have given me before.

    Dry to you doesn't mean dry to inanimate objects which will change in
    temperature and when cool provide a surface that has a dewpoint that
    causes collection of water. I've been in basements that had mold on
    the crumbling cement walls just from the moisture although the tenant
    thought the basement was dry. Remember that you are probably cycling
    the temperature in your house and your basement is colder (and gets
    even more cold when you let the temperature drop upstairs). If dew is
    collecting on your cold tools, get a dehumidifier.

    Also, although there may be no water/sewer pipes overhead (and no
    tracks or stains along the floor supports where the water might flow
    away from a leak), is the toolbox next to your air conditioner (in a
    window or inside your furnace)? The A/C, when running, will produce
    moisture and why there is a collection pan to collect the drops and
    let them evaporate. We had the drain line in the A/C inside the
    furnace get plugged with "goop" (settled dust that got wet and went
    into the drain line) which meant the pan overflowed. Cleaning the
    drain tube that goes from the pan to the floor drain fixed that
    problem. Whether you use A/C right now depends on where in the world
    you are located.

    A paper towel impregnated with oil with BLOCK the flow of air, plus
    there would be no wicking of the water away from the tools (for what
    part contact the towel). An oil coating on the tools might slow
    rusting but it won't stop dew from collecting on cold tools. Is the
    tool chest in a utility room with the door closed and without any
    direct heating into that room? If so, leave the door open or move out
    the tool chest into a warm[er] room.
    VanguardLH, Jan 12, 2008
  7. Grandpa Chuck

    thanatoid Guest

    Grandpa Chuck <> wrote in

    > I bought some new rather expensive hand tools and decided
    > to clean out my Craftsman 12 drawer tool box and another
    > six drawer one in order to rearrange tool and get rid of
    > those that are no longer used.
    >
    > A few months ago after asking about rust on some of the
    > tools I was advised to wrpe they down with gun oil. I did
    > so after wiping all the moisture out of the drawer. I also
    > covered the tools in each drawer with a paper towel that I
    > sprayed oil on.
    >
    > Well, tonight I discovered every single drawer had moisture
    > in the front left corner. I had each drawer lined with
    > rubber. When I picked it up each and every one of them was
    > covered with water on the under side.
    >
    > Our basement is dry, especially this time of the year.
    > There are no water pipes anywhere near the tool boxes.
    >
    > We have taken every tool out of them and wiped them down
    > with gun oil. We also have wiped the drawers dry with paper
    > towels. Right now the tool boxes are setting with the
    > drawers empty and pulled part way out to make sure they are
    > completely dry before putting any tools in them.
    >
    > I am wondering if the open waffle type rubber mats might
    > work better since they should not collect moister.

    "moisture"

    > Most importantly, I am wondering what I can do in order to
    > prevent this from happening again, especially since I
    > bought some pretty expensive hand tools this time.
    >
    > Suggestions please?

    Hi Grandpa, if that's you! Good to see you again!

    Don't use ANY lining. I don't /know/ about rubber but I would
    guess its water content (aside from the condensation problem
    which affects /everything/) is fairly high.

    As we have seen in movies, guns are often kept wrapped in cotton
    cloths. Possibly cotton cloths slightly damp with oil. That
    /might/ work for tools as well.

    Almost EVERYTHING contains water, in however minute amounts
    (that's how "instant" cyanoacryalate (did I get it right?) glues
    work, by mixing with water and forming the super-bond, and there
    is ALWAYS water in the air, and given most environmental
    conditions, that water /will/ come out or be "extracted" from
    the air (and other things) and condense all over the place,
    especially UNDER things.

    Use the oil etc. as described, and MAYBE try to get a WHOLE
    BUNCH (like a box of hundred) of little silica gel packets to
    absorb whatever H20 moisture shows up. Not that I know if it
    would work, just an idea. Perhaps someone will comment.

    As others have suggested, cold damp basements are not good
    places for tools, and a dehumidifier or some source of mild heat
    may not be a bad idea.

    Or, if the boxes are not terribly heavy you could keep them
    under your bed instead of in the basement, and just take them
    there to use them.

    --
    Better a cruel truth than a comfortable delusion.
    Edward Abbey (1927 - 1989)
    thanatoid, Jan 12, 2008
  8. Grandpa Chuck

    Plato Guest

    Grandpa Chuck wrote:

    > A few months ago after asking about rust on some of the tools I was
    > advised to wrpe they down with gun oil. I did so after wiping all the
    > moisture out of the drawer. I also covered the
    > tools in each drawer with a paper towel that I sprayed oil on.

    Any metal thing I put in my basement gets rusted. Too humid. Get a
    de-humidifier.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Jan 12, 2008
  9. Grandpa Chuck

    Kev Guest

    > Most importantly, I am wondering what I can do in order to prevent
    > this from happening again, especially since I bought some pretty
    > expensive hand tools this time.
    >
    > Suggestions please?

    Have you tried silica gel pouches in the boxes? Cheaper than dehumidiers :)

    Kev
    Kev, Jan 12, 2008
  10. Grandpa Chuck wrote:

    > I bought some new rather expensive hand tools and decided to clean out
    > my Craftsman 12 drawer tool box and another six drawer one in order to
    > rearrange tool and get rid of those that are no longer used.
    >
    > A few months ago after asking about rust on some of the tools I was
    > advised to wrpe they down with gun oil. I did so after wiping all the
    > moisture out of the drawer. I also covered the
    > tools in each drawer with a paper towel that I sprayed oil on.
    >
    > Well, tonight I discovered every single drawer had moisture in the
    > front left corner. I had each drawer lined with rubber. When I picked
    > it up each and every one of them was covered with water on the under
    > side.
    >
    > Our basement is dry, especially this time of the year. There are no
    > water pipes anywhere near the tool boxes.
    >
    > We have taken every tool out of them and wiped them down with gun oil.
    > We also have wiped the drawers dry with paper towels. Right now the
    > tool boxes are setting with the drawers empty and pulled part way out
    > to make sure they are completely dry before putting any tools in them.
    >
    > I am wondering if the open waffle type rubber mats might work better
    > since they should not collect moister.
    >
    > Most importantly, I am wondering what I can do in order to prevent
    > this from happening again, especially since I bought some pretty
    > expensive hand tools this time.
    >
    > Suggestions please?
    >
    > Thank you all so much for all of the help you have given me before.

    You could put small bags of silica gel in each drawer, perhaps.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silica_gel

    Our company often used to pack large bags of it around machinery for
    transportation.

    --
    Windows free for 10 years!
    Kubuntu Linux 7.10 64bit
    William Poaster, Jan 12, 2008
  11. On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 04:30:49 -0000, G. Morgan <> wrote:

    >Grandpa Chuck wrote:
    >
    >>I bought some new rather expensive hand tools and decided to clean out
    >>my Craftsman 12 drawer tool box and another six drawer one in order to
    >>rearrange tool and get rid of those that are no longer used.
    >>
    >>A few months ago after asking about rust on some of the tools I was
    >>advised to wrpe they down with gun oil. I did so after wiping all the
    >>moisture out of the drawer. I also covered the
    >>tools in each drawer with a paper towel that I sprayed oil on.
    >>
    >>Well, tonight I discovered every single drawer had moisture in the
    >>front left corner. I had each drawer lined with rubber. When I picked
    >>it up each and every one of them was covered with water on the under
    >>side.
    >>
    >>Our basement is dry, especially this time of the year. There are no
    >>water pipes anywhere near the tool boxes.
    >>
    >>We have taken every tool out of them and wiped them down with gun oil.
    >>We also have wiped the drawers dry with paper towels. Right now the
    >>tool boxes are setting with the drawers empty and pulled part way out
    >>to make sure they are completely dry before putting any tools in them.
    >>
    >>I am wondering if the open waffle type rubber mats might work better
    >>since they should not collect moister.
    >>
    >>Most importantly, I am wondering what I can do in order to prevent
    >>this from happening again, especially since I bought some pretty
    >>expensive hand tools this time.
    >>
    >>Suggestions please?
    >>
    >>Thank you all so much for all of the help you have given me before.

    >[X-posted to alt.home.repair]
    >
    >Have you ever noticed when hand tools get wet in the box they smell
    >like vomit?

    No, there is no odor.
    Grandpa Chuck, Jan 12, 2008
  12. On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 04:39:39 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
    <> wrote:

    >"G. Morgan" <> wrote in message
    >> Grandpa Chuck wrote:
    >>
    >>>I bought some new rather expensive hand tools and decided to clean out
    >>>my Craftsman 12 drawer tool box and another six drawer one in order to
    >>>rearrange tool and get rid of those that are no longer used.
    >>>
    >>>A few months ago after asking about rust on some of the tools I was
    >>>advised to wrpe they down with gun oil. I did so after wiping all the
    >>>moisture out of the drawer. I also covered the
    >>>tools in each drawer with a paper towel that I sprayed oil on.
    >>>
    >>>Well, tonight I discovered every single drawer had moisture in the
    >>>front left corner. I had each drawer lined with rubber. When I picked
    >>>it up each and every one of them was covered with water on the under
    >>>side.
    >>>
    >>>Our basement is dry, especially this time of the year. There are no
    >>>water pipes anywhere near the tool boxes.
    >>>
    >>>We have taken every tool out of them and wiped them down with gun oil.
    >>>We also have wiped the drawers dry with paper towels. Right now the
    >>>tool boxes are setting with the drawers empty and pulled part way out
    >>>to make sure they are completely dry before putting any tools in them.
    >>>
    >>>I am wondering if the open waffle type rubber mats might work better
    >>>since they should not collect moister.
    >>>
    >>>Most importantly, I am wondering what I can do in order to prevent
    >>>this from happening again, especially since I bought some pretty
    >>>expensive hand tools this time.
    >>>
    >>>Suggestions please?
    >>>
    >>>Thank you all so much for all of the help you have given me before.

    >> [X-posted to alt.home.repair]
    >>
    >> Have you ever noticed when hand tools get wet in the box they smell
    >> like vomit?

    >Yeah...vomit.
    >
    >The OP needs a dehumidifier, no matter how dry he thinks his basement is.
    >He's obviously wrong.

    So you are saying to run the dehumidifier even though we are running a
    humidifier on the first and second floor?

    The dehumidifier is normally run near the washer, the drier and the
    floor drain. Do I need to run it near the tool boxes at the opposite
    end of the basement?
    Grandpa Chuck, Jan 12, 2008
  13. On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 22:48:16 -0600, "Leroy" <leroy@ addy.invalid>
    wrote:

    >JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
    >>
    >> The OP needs a dehumidifier, no matter how dry he thinks his basement is.
    >> He's obviously wrong.

    >Correct. Another possible solution is to keep the box in a small
    >enclosed space with a heat source to keep the tools above
    >dew point. A 100 watt bulb works wonders in a small enclosure.
    >
    >Leroy

    What exactly are you calling a small space. The main toolbox is
    approximately 6' tall and 3' wide. The smaller one sets on a set of
    shelves at a right angle. They are close enough that I cannot open the
    drawer of one while the upper drawers of the top one are open. If I
    build a tiny room around them it will interfere with being able to use
    my table saw or my band saw at all angles. It also will make it very
    difficulty to get tools when I am working on the adjoining workbench.
    I even put small containers of moisture absorbing pellets in plastic
    containers in each drawer, except for the very small ones where they
    won't fit. Here in Iowa the winter weather is notoriously dry and in
    the summer exceedingly humid.
    Grandpa Chuck, Jan 12, 2008
  14. On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 23:17:09 -0600, Dan C
    <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 04:20:38 +0000, Grandpa Chuck wrote:
    >
    >> Most importantly, I am wondering what I can do in order to prevent
    >> this from happening again, especially since I bought some pretty
    >> expensive hand tools this time.
    >>
    >> Suggestions please?

    >It's condensation. Get a dehumidifier.

    In the winter when we are running two humidifiers because the weather
    is so terribly dry here?
    Grandpa Chuck, Jan 12, 2008
  15. On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 23:17:09 -0600, Dan C
    <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 04:20:38 +0000, Grandpa Chuck wrote:
    >
    >> Most importantly, I am wondering what I can do in order to prevent
    >> this from happening again, especially since I bought some pretty
    >> expensive hand tools this time.
    >>
    >> Suggestions please?

    >It's condensation. Get a dehumidifier.

    And put it where?
    We have to run two humidifiers to keep from electrocuting ourselves
    when we touch anything metal or our cats and dogs.
    Grandpa Chuck, Jan 12, 2008
  16. On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 23:17:21 -0600, "VanguardLH"
    <> wrote:

> [...]

    >moisture and why there is a collection pan to collect the drops and
    >let them evaporate. We had the drain line in the A/C inside the
    >furnace get plugged with "goop" (settled dust that got wet and went
    >into the drain line) which meant the pan overflowed. Cleaning the
    >drain tube that goes from the pan to the floor drain fixed that
    >problem. Whether you use A/C right now depends on where in the world
    >you are located.
    >
    >A paper towel impregnated with oil with BLOCK the flow of air, plus
    >there would be no wicking of the water away from the tools (for what
    >part contact the towel). An oil coating on the tools might slow
    >rusting but it won't stop dew from collecting on cold tools. Is the
    >tool chest in a utility room with the door closed and without any
    >direct heating into that room? If so, leave the door open or move out

    Are you suggesting we keep the basement registers open in order to
    keep the basement warmer? By the way the tool boxes are quite a number
    of feet from the furnace/air conditioner which has two pipes to drain
    water into the sub pump pit.
    Grandpa Chuck, Jan 12, 2008
  17. On 12 Jan 2008 06:44:59 GMT, thanatoid <>
    wrote:

    >Grandpa Chuck <> wrote in
    >
    >> I bought some new rather expensive hand tools and decided
    >> to clean out my Craftsman 12 drawer tool box and another
    >> six drawer one in order to rearrange tool and get rid of
    >> those that are no longer used.
    >>
    >> A few months ago after asking about rust on some of the
    >> tools I was advised to wrpe they down with gun oil. I did
    >> so after wiping all the moisture out of the drawer. I also
    >> covered the tools in each drawer with a paper towel that I
    >> sprayed oil on.
    >>
    >> Well, tonight I discovered every single drawer had moisture
    >> in the front left corner. I had each drawer lined with
    >> rubber. When I picked it up each and every one of them was
    >> covered with water on the under side.
    >>
    >> Our basement is dry, especially this time of the year.
    >> There are no water pipes anywhere near the tool boxes.
    >>
    >> We have taken every tool out of them and wiped them down
    >> with gun oil. We also have wiped the drawers dry with paper
    >> towels. Right now the tool boxes are setting with the
    >> drawers empty and pulled part way out to make sure they are
    >> completely dry before putting any tools in them.
    >>
    >> I am wondering if the open waffle type rubber mats might
    >> work better since they should not collect moister.

    >"moisture"
    >
    >> Most importantly, I am wondering what I can do in order to
    >> prevent this from happening again, especially since I
    >> bought some pretty expensive hand tools this time.
    >>
    >> Suggestions please?

    >Hi Grandpa, if that's you! Good to see you again!
    >
    >Don't use ANY lining. I don't /know/ about rubber but I would
    >guess its water content (aside from the condensation problem
    >which affects /everything/) is fairly high.
    >
    >As we have seen in movies, guns are often kept wrapped in cotton
    >cloths. Possibly cotton cloths slightly damp with oil. That
    >/might/ work for tools as well.
    >
    >Almost EVERYTHING contains water, in however minute amounts
    >(that's how "instant" cyanoacryalate (did I get it right?) glues
    >work, by mixing with water and forming the super-bond, and there
    >is ALWAYS water in the air, and given most environmental
    >conditions, that water /will/ come out or be "extracted" from
    >the air (and other things) and condense all over the place,
    >especially UNDER things.
    >
    >Use the oil etc. as described, and MAYBE try to get a WHOLE
    >BUNCH (like a box of hundred) of little silica gel packets to
    >absorb whatever H20 moisture shows up. Not that I know if it
    >would work, just an idea. Perhaps someone will comment.
    >
    >As others have suggested, cold damp basements are not good
    >places for tools, and a dehumidifier or some source of mild heat
    >may not be a bad idea.
    >
    >Or, if the boxes are not terribly heavy you could keep them
    >under your bed instead of in the basement, and just take them
    >there to use them.

    It's good to hear from you again too.

    Our basement is never below 69ยบ F. If I open the registers it will be
    just as warm down there as it is in the living room.

    Put them under the bed? Our bed is an old fashioned water bed with a
    regular mattress and drawers underneath. Beside which the tool boxed
    weigh several hundred pound and I am not to lift more than 25 pounds
    since I injured my back carrying a 50# bag of rock salt.

    I am wondering if your suggestion of not lining the drawers with
    anything and just putting a small container of the moisture collecting
    pellets in each drawer might work better.
    Grandpa Chuck, Jan 12, 2008
  18. On 12 Jan 2008 01:09:02 -0600, Plato <|@|.|> wrote:

    >Grandpa Chuck wrote:
    >>
    >> A few months ago after asking about rust on some of the tools I was
    >> advised to wrpe they down with gun oil. I did so after wiping all the
    >> moisture out of the drawer. I also covered the
    >> tools in each drawer with a paper towel that I sprayed oil on.

    >Any metal thing I put in my basement gets rusted. Too humid. Get a
    >de-humidifier.

    TY

    Please read previous answers.
    Grandpa Chuck, Jan 12, 2008
  19. Grandpa Chuck

    > So you are saying to run the dehumidifier even though we are running
    > humidifier on the first and second floor?
    >
    > The dehumidifier is normally run near the washer, the drier and the
    > floor drain. Do I need to run it near the tool boxes at the opposite
    > end of the basement?

    Is there actually a heat duct feeding *into* your workroom AND a
    cold-air return duct (which is available even with the door closed) so
    that there is air movement through that room? Try leaving open the
    door to that room and put in a floor-standing fan pointed at the top
    of the door to keep the air circulating through that room. We had a
    similar problem: running a dehumidifier at one end of the basement did
    not help to keep a storage room at the other end from getting damp
    until we put a fan in the doorway to keep the air moving through that
    far room.

    If you are using a standing dehumidifier (i.e., not built into your
    furnace/vent system), have you connected a hose to its drain pan to
    continually let any collected water get drained (into a floor drain)?
    Until we did that so the humidifier would keep running, it would fill
    up the drain pan inside and then stop after which the humidity went
    back up. It would run a few hours and then be off for a week so it
    really wasn't doing much. I then punched a hole in the bottom side of
    the drain pan and connected a garden hose that ran to the floor drain.

    Although it is winter, do you ever hear the dehumidifier turn on that
    is down in the basement? Have you checked its pan is drained and that
    the floater is free to move? Tried turning it on at full reduction
    (but not in a constant-on mode) and moved the floater to check the
    unit does indeed turn on and off?
    VanguardLH, Jan 12, 2008
  20. On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 08:20:29 GMT, "Kev" <> wrote:

    >"Grandpa Chuck" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Most importantly, I am wondering what I can do in order to prevent
    >> this from happening again, especially since I bought some pretty
    >> expensive hand tools this time.
    >>
    >> Suggestions please?

    >Have you tried silica gel pouches in the boxes? Cheaper than dehumidiers :)
    >
    >Kev

    I have the pellets that I put in small containers with a few holes
    punched in the lids so they don't spill.
    Grandpa Chuck, Jan 12, 2008