Module Engine

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Rahan, Jan 29, 2007.

  1. Rahan

    Rahan Guest

    Hi all,

    First question :
    For the Catalyst 6500, what is the role of the module "Supervisor Engine
    720" please ?

    is it like the mother card of desktop ? which provide memory, processor,
    ios, bus, network port, console port... etc ?

    So, what is the real role of this module and is it mandatory for the
    switch ?

    2e question :
    is it possible to buy one catalyst 6509 and later transform it to 6509
    or 6513 ?

    Thank You very much for your help !!!

    Best Regards
    Rahan
    Rahan, Jan 29, 2007

  2. Rahan

    dnuckle Guest

    Rahan,

    The supervisor engine is what holds the processor for the
    switch. It is responsible for handling routing protocols and also the
    configuration for the switch. It is a necessary component. 6509
    defines the chassis type. Basically its a 6500 with 9 slots. The
    chassis can't be modified or upgraded later.

    Mahalo,

    David
    dnuckle, Jan 29, 2007

  3. Rahan

    Rahan Guest

    dnuckle wrote:

    > Rahan,
    >
    > The supervisor engine is what holds the processor for the
    > switch. It is responsible for handling routing protocols and also the
    > configuration for the switch. It is a necessary component. 6509
    > defines the chassis type. Basically its a 6500 with 9 slots. The
    > chassis can't be modified or upgraded later.
    >
    > Mahalo,
    >
    > David

    Thanks a lot for your quick answer !!!
    Rahan, Jan 29, 2007
  4. In article <>,
    dnuckle <> wrote:
    >6509
    >defines the chassis type. Basically its a 6500 with 9 slots. The
    >chassis can't be modified or upgraded later.

    The 4503 with Supervisor II-Plus-TS is the only 4000, 4500, 5000,
    5500, or 6500 switch that I can think of which -cannot- be upgraded
    by removing the boards from the old chassis and installing in the
    next size up in the same line. (And that's because the 4503 is a fixed
    configuration switch, not a modular.) I am certainly not a Catalyst
    line guru, but as far as I -know-, there is no reason one could not
    replace a 6509 chassis with a 6513 chassis keeping the same boards
    (though it might need a larger power supply.)
    Walter Roberson, Jan 29, 2007