    commercial app that's good enough to be worth paying for.

    --
    Ray Greene.
    Ray Greene, May 12, 2005

  2. Ray Greene

    Shane Guest

    On Thu, 12 May 2005 19:39:23 +1200, Ray Greene wrote:

    > Anyone know of any free software for modifying ISO images? Or alternatively a
    > commercial app that's good enough to be worth paying for.

    by modifying iso images you mean................?
    (mkisofs is the way to make em on *nix though)

    Shane, May 12, 2005

  3. Ray Greene

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Ray Greene wrote:
    > Anyone know of any free software for modifying ISO images? Or alternatively a
    > commercial app that's good enough to be worth paying for.

    I did this a while ago, (I wanted to add some extra utilities to a
    bootable CDROM) and IIRC I *think* I used isobuster.
    -=rjh=-, May 12, 2005
  4. Ray Greene

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Thu, 12 May 2005 19:52:19 +1200, -=rjh=- <> wrote:

    >Ray Greene wrote:
    >> Anyone know of any free software for modifying ISO images? Or alternatively a
    >> commercial app that's good enough to be worth paying for.
    >>

    >I did this a while ago, (I wanted to add some extra utilities to a
    >bootable CDROM) and IIRC I *think* I used isobuster.

    Exactly what I want to do. I had a quick look at Isobuster a while back but I
    thought it just read ISOs but didn't write them. I'll have another look at
    it.

    --
    Ray Greene.
    Ray Greene, May 12, 2005
  5. Ray Greene

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Thu, 12 May 2005 19:49:39 +1200, Shane <-a-geek.net> wrote:

    >On Thu, 12 May 2005 19:39:23 +1200, Ray Greene wrote:
    >
    >> Anyone know of any free software for modifying ISO images? Or alternatively a
    >> commercial app that's good enough to be worth paying for.

    >by modifying iso images you mean................?

    Taking a boot CD image and adding some extra files to it.

    >(mkisofs is the way to make em on *nix though)

    It needs to be a Windows app. I know I should have mentioned that :)

    --
    Ray Greene.
    Ray Greene, May 12, 2005
  6. Ray Greene

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Ray Greene <> wrote in news:d5v172$cm8$:

    > Anyone know of any free software for modifying ISO images? Or
    > alternatively a commercial app that's good enough to be worth paying
    > for.

    You want to open them, add files , change etc.

    http://www.isobuster.com

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, May 12, 2005
  7. In article <d5v172$cm8$>, Ray Greene <>
    wrote:

    >Anyone know of any free software for modifying ISO images? Or alternatively a
    >commercial app that's good enough to be worth paying for.

    Wouldn't it be more efficient to mount the image on a loopback
    filesystem and copy the files to a new image, making the changes along
    the way? ISO9660 is a read-only filesystem--it's not designed to allow
    making changes in-place.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 12, 2005
  8. Ray Greene

    Peter George Guest

    A freeware way to do it would be to extract the files to your harddisk using
    ISOBuster, add/delete/edit and then use mkisofs (google for "Win32 mkisofs")
    to recreate the ISO.

    WinISO can directly edit a ISO but its not freeware.

    These methods are just off the top of my head. 10 minutes and a search
    engine will probably turn up other freeware methods.

    Regards
    Pete
    Peter George, May 12, 2005
  9. Ray Greene

    CSE Guest

    On Thu, 12 May 2005 19:52:19 +1200, -=rjh=- <> wrote:

    >Ray Greene wrote:
    >> Anyone know of any free software for modifying ISO images? Or alternatively a
    >> commercial app that's good enough to be worth paying for.
    >>

    >I did this a while ago, (I wanted to add some extra utilities to a
    >bootable CDROM) and IIRC I *think* I used isobuster.

    WinISO is one but has not been updated for some time, have had a bug with it,
    hidden files were set to not hidden..

    But I have use I think a few others..
    CSE, May 12, 2005
  10. Ray Greene

    Ray Greene Guest

    On 12 May 2005 19:58:19 +1200, Dave Taylor <>
    wrote:

    >Ray Greene <> wrote in news:d5v172$cm8$:
    >
    >> Anyone know of any free software for modifying ISO images? Or
    >> alternatively a commercial app that's good enough to be worth paying
    >> for.
    >>

    >You want to open them, add files , change etc.
    >
    >http://www.isobuster.com

    I tried Isobuster today but it doesn't modify ISOs, just reads them :-(

    --
    Ray Greene.
    Ray Greene, May 13, 2005
  11. Ray Greene

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Thu, 12 May 2005 21:47:51 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote:

    >In article <d5v172$cm8$>, Ray Greene <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Anyone know of any free software for modifying ISO images? Or alternatively a
    >>commercial app that's good enough to be worth paying for.

    >Wouldn't it be more efficient to mount the image on a loopback
    >filesystem and copy the files to a new image, making the changes along
    >the way?

    I have no idea how to do that. Can you tell me more?

    > ISO9660 is a read-only filesystem--it's not designed to allow
    >making changes in-place.

    People seem to have ignored that and done it anyway :)

    --
    Ray Greene.
    Ray Greene, May 13, 2005
  12. Ray Greene

    CSE Guest

    On Fri, 13 May 2005 19:17:49 +1200, Ray Greene <> wrote:

    >On 12 May 2005 19:58:19 +1200, Dave Taylor <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Ray Greene <> wrote in news:d5v172$cm8$:
    >>
    >>> Anyone know of any free software for modifying ISO images? Or
    >>> alternatively a commercial app that's good enough to be worth paying
    >>> for.
    >>>

    >>You want to open them, add files , change etc.
    >>
    >>http://www.isobuster.com

    >I tried Isobuster today but it doesn't modify ISOs, just reads them :-(

    WinISO
    CSE, May 13, 2005
  13. Ray Greene said the following on 12/05/2005 7:39 p.m.:
    > Anyone know of any free software for modifying ISO images? Or alternatively a
    > commercial app that's good enough to be worth paying for.

    Alcohol 120% very good but pay for software and useful for
    other than just the task you have in mind

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    *Slow day Posts Blog*
    Pictorial Amusement from the web at
    http://nzcollector.blogspot.com
    Collector»NZ, May 13, 2005
  14. In article <d61khd$cm8$>, Ray Greene <>
    wrote:

    >On Thu, 12 May 2005 21:47:51 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    ><_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >>In article <d5v172$cm8$>, Ray Greene <>
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>>Anyone know of any free software for modifying ISO images? Or alternatively a
    >>>commercial app that's good enough to be worth paying for.

    >>Wouldn't it be more efficient to mount the image on a loopback
    >>filesystem and copy the files to a new image, making the changes along
    >>the way?

    >I have no idea how to do that. Can you tell me more?

    man mount

    and look for the section "THE LOOP DEVICE"

    >> ISO9660 is a read-only filesystem--it's not designed to allow
    >>making changes in-place.

    >People seem to have ignored that and done it anyway :)

    You can't just mount it as a filesystem and do changes in place.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 13, 2005
  15. Ray Greene

    CSE Guest

    On Fri, 13 May 2005 21:49:15 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote:

    >In article <d61khd$cm8$>, Ray Greene <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>On Thu, 12 May 2005 21:47:51 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    >><_zealand> wrote:

    >>>Wouldn't it be more efficient to mount the image on a loopback
    >>>filesystem and copy the files to a new image, making the changes along
    >>>the way?

    >>I have no idea how to do that. Can you tell me more?

    > man mount
    >
    >and look for the section "THE LOOP DEVICE"
    >
    >>> ISO9660 is a read-only filesystem--it's not designed to allow
    >>>making changes in-place.

    >>People seem to have ignored that and done it anyway :)

    >You can't just mount it as a filesystem and do changes in place.

    Usev this

    http://www.winiso.com/

    I have found a few that can do it, but none are Free.

    What I do some times is to unpack the ISO add the Bits and reburn it..
    CSE, May 13, 2005
  16. Ray Greene

    <_zealand> wrote:

    >In article <d61khd$cm8$>, Ray Greene <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>On Thu, 12 May 2005 21:47:51 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    >><_zealand> wrote:

    >>>Wouldn't it be more efficient to mount the image on a loopback
    >>>filesystem and copy the files to a new image, making the changes along
    >>>the way?

    >>I have no idea how to do that. Can you tell me more?

    > man mount
    >
    >and look for the section "THE LOOP DEVICE"
    >
    >>> ISO9660 is a read-only filesystem--it's not designed to allow
    >>>making changes in-place.

    >>People seem to have ignored that and done it anyway :)

    >You can't just mount it as a filesystem and do changes in place.

    Here are some more ISO Commander

    http://www.softandco.com/a/8537/iso-commander.html

    Ultra ISO

    http://www.winfuture.de/news,16468.html

    ISOmagic

    http://www.mythusoft.com/

    ISOedit

    http://www.isoedit.com/

    Winimage Unpacker

    http://www.winimage.com/
    CSE, May 13, 2005
  17. Ray Greene

    phstpok Guest

    CSE wrote:
    > On Fri, 13 May 2005 21:49:15 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    > <_zealand> wrote:
    >

    >>In article <d61khd$cm8$>, Ray Greene <>
    >>wrote:

    >>>I have no idea how to do that. Can you tell me more?

    >> man mount
    >>
    >>and look for the section "THE LOOP DEVICE"

    >>>People seem to have ignored that and done it anyway :)

    >>You can't just mount it as a filesystem and do changes in place.

    > Here are some more ISO Commander
    >

    > http://www.softandco.com/a/8537/iso-commander.html
    >

    > Ultra ISO
    >
    > http://www.winfuture.de/news,16468.html
    >

    > ISOmagic
    >
    > http://www.mythusoft.com/
    >

    > ISOedit
    >

    > http://www.isoedit.com/
    >

    > Winimage Unpacker
    >
    > http://www.winimage.com/

    or Virtual Daemon (freeware) mount the image, copy to hd, modify, create
    image with whatever cd writing software came with your cd cd/r.
    phstpok, May 13, 2005
  18. In article <>,
    CSE <> wrote:

    >I have found a few that can do it, but none are Free.

    Free gratis or free libre?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 14, 2005
  19. Ray Greene

    Ray Greene Guest

    Thanks for all the replies guys. I'll probably go with UltraISO.

    --
    Ray Greene.
    Ray Greene, May 14, 2005
  20. Ray Greene