Modify Permission

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by Marin Kostov, Dec 17, 2004.

  1. Marin Kostov

    Marin Kostov Guest

    Modify Permission

    Hi! I am studying for the 70-290 exam. I am using MS Press Readiness Review
    Suite, among with several other sources.

    Yesterday when scrolling through the questions of the MeasureUp’s practice
    tests, I found something very, very confusing.

    Situation:

    We have for example 1 folder. The folder has 2 subfolders. I am a member of
    the Gamers group. The group has Modify NTFS permission, assigned to the
    parent folder. Can I delete a file in the subfolder? The explanation states,
    that I can’t, since the the Modify permission does not include the Delete
    Subfolders and Files permission.

    Interesting! But he Modify Permission DOES include the Delete permission.
    The Delete Subfolders and Files is included only in the Full Control
    permission.

    Next, when reading the book, I found a scenario, involving the Modify
    Permission. And the answer was:

    The NTFS Modify permission allows Managers to delete files.

    So let’s take a look at Help and Support center:

    Modify Permission consists of:

    Traverse Folder/Execute File

    List Folder/Read Data

    Read Attributes

    Read Extended Attributes

    Create Files/Write Data

    Create Folders/Append Data

    Write Attributes

    Write Extended Attributes

    Read Permissions

    And

    Delete Subfolders and Files - Allows or denies deleting subfolders and
    files, even if the Delete permission has not been granted on the subfolder
    or file. (Applies to folders.)

    Delete - Allows or denies deleting the file or folder. If you do not have
    Delete permission on a file or folder, you can still delete it if you have
    been granted Delete Subfolders and Files on the parent folder.

    So please if someone could explain what is wrong and what is right.

    Marin Kostov, Dec 17, 2004

  2. Marin Kostov

    Kurt Guest

    Why not set it up and give it a try?