    appears that I can, but I'd like to know if others have done this.

    thank you,

    jm

    JM, Nov 24, 2006

  2. JM

    Baron Guest

    JM wrote:

    > Dell Dimension 4300 power supply just died. I have a new Hipro psu
    > that
    > will work fine, except the psu connector is 24 pin. The Dell mobo is
    > 20
    > pin. Most 24-pin psu's I've used have the 4 pins separated, so you
    > can use
    > the psu with either 20 or 24 pin mobos. This Hipro is not like that.
    >
    > My question is, can I separate those 4 pins and use this power supply?
    > It appears that I can, but I'd like to know if others have done this.
    >
    > thank you,
    >
    > jm

    Be careful ! Do google on Dell PSU. It may not be a standard one !

    --
    Baron:

    Baron, Nov 24, 2006

  3. JM

    JM Guest

    Thank you for the word of caution.

    I do know it to be standard. All the Dimensions after 2001 are standard, I
    think. And I tried a new 20-pin psu on it already, and it powered right up.
    It's just that I can't use that psu because it's got the current on/off
    switch beneath the voltage switch, which will not fit the 4300 case unless I
    modify the case by cutting a small rectangle out of it.

    jm

    JM, Nov 25, 2006
  4. JM

    Baron Guest

    JM wrote:

    > Thank you for the word of caution.
    >
    > I do know it to be standard. All the Dimensions after 2001 are
    > standard, I
    > think. And I tried a new 20-pin psu on it already, and it powered
    > right up. It's just that I can't use that psu because it's got the
    > current on/off switch beneath the voltage switch, which will not fit
    > the 4300 case unless I modify the case by cutting a small rectangle
    > out of it.
    >
    > jm
    >

    > "Baron" <> wrote in message news:456762d9@212.67.96.135...
    >> JM wrote:
    >>
    >>> Dell Dimension 4300 power supply just died. I have a new Hipro psu
    >>> that
    >>> will work fine, except the psu connector is 24 pin. The Dell mobo
    >>> is 20
    >>> pin. Most 24-pin psu's I've used have the 4 pins separated, so you
    >>> can use
    >>> the psu with either 20 or 24 pin mobos. This Hipro is not like
    >>> that.
    >>>
    >>> My question is, can I separate those 4 pins and use this power
    >>> supply?
    >>> It appears that I can, but I'd like to know if others have done
    >>> this.
    >>>
    >>> thank you,
    >>>
    >>> jm

    >> Be careful ! Do google on Dell PSU. It may not be a standard one !
    >>
    >> --
    >> Baron:

    Good ! I'm glad you checked. As far as the power switch is concerned,
    can you not open the case and remove it. Just connect the two wires
    together and sleeve the joint. I use hot melt to make sure things don't
    move around. Since the aperture will be covered by the case, there is
    no hazard !

    --
    Baron:

    Baron, Nov 25, 2006
  5. JM

    - Bobb - Guest

    "JM" <> wrote in message
    > Dell Dimension 4300 power supply just died. I have a new Hipro psu
    > that will work fine, except the psu connector is 24 pin. The Dell
    > mobo is 20 pin. Most 24-pin psu's I've used have the 4 pins
    > separated, so you can use the psu with either 20 or 24 pin mobos.
    > This Hipro is not like that.
    >
    > My question is, can I separate those 4 pins and use this power supply?
    > It appears that I can, but I'd like to know if others have done this.
    >
    > thank you, jm

    So is the question a PHYSICAL one or electrical one ? Are you asking "
    If I pull out those 4 pins and get a saw and cut those 4 pins off the
    connector, would it WORK ?" or "Would the retaining clips line up ? "
    That, I've never done but electrically "it should be fine" (famous last
    words )
    I will try it next time I have a scrap PC

    Check yours to see it will "snap in" if you cut off the end - shifting
    the center of the connector to the left. A few years ago ( during the
    transition) I bought a replacement and it was such that those 4 pins
    were in a connector that slid onto the 20 pin connector - making a 24
    pin if you needed it and it worked fine in 20 pin mode, but the plastic
    on the connection accounted for that and mated OK either way.

    If you would like an original PS... the corner store near me had a PC
    power supply die last month. It was a clone PC and I read the word
    StarTech on the PS. It had a 20 pin and a 4 pin - so see if the original
    PS has any name on it other than Dell and google it. I couldn't use any
    other because of the special SFF of the box and the screw holes wouldn't
    line up. Startech site had it and was $70 + shipping. I found it online
    at CompUSA - not in the store but online only - for $20+shipping.
    Swapped it out - it fit -and working fine now.

    - Bobb -, Nov 25, 2006
  6. JM

    JM Guest

    "Baron" <> wrote in message news:45684151@212.67.96.135...
    > JM wrote:
    >
    >> Thank you for the word of caution.
    >>
    >> I do know it to be standard. All the Dimensions after 2001 are
    >> standard, I
    >> think. And I tried a new 20-pin psu on it already, and it powered
    >> right up. It's just that I can't use that psu because it's got the
    >> current on/off switch beneath the voltage switch, which will not fit
    >> the 4300 case unless I modify the case by cutting a small rectangle
    >> out of it.
    >>
    >> jm

    >>> Be careful ! Do google on Dell PSU. It may not be a standard one !
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Baron:

    > Good ! I'm glad you checked. As far as the power switch is concerned,
    > can you not open the case and remove it. Just connect the two wires
    > together and sleeve the joint. I use hot melt to make sure things don't
    > move around. Since the aperture will be covered by the case, there is
    > no hazard !

    That's a very good idea, thanks!

    jm

    JM, Nov 25, 2006
  7. JM

    JM Guest

    > "JM" <> wrote in message
    >> Dell Dimension 4300 power supply just died. I have a new Hipro psu that
    >> will work fine, except the psu connector is 24 pin. The Dell mobo is 20
    >> pin. Most 24-pin psu's I've used have the 4 pins separated, so you can
    >> use the psu with either 20 or 24 pin mobos. This Hipro is not like that.
    >>
    >> My question is, can I separate those 4 pins and use this power supply? It
    >> appears that I can, but I'd like to know if others have done this.
    >>
    >> thank you, jm

    > So is the question a PHYSICAL one or electrical one ? Are you asking " If
    > I pull out those 4 pins and get a saw and cut those 4 pins off the
    > connector, would it WORK ?" or "Would the retaining clips line up ? "
    > That, I've never done but electrically "it should be fine" (famous last
    > words )
    > I will try it next time I have a scrap PC

    I guess it's both. Like I mentioned, I've used the kind of psu's like you
    have - with the detachable 4 pins. The Hipro model I've got is very much a
    budget psu, so I guess they just didn't go to the expense of making a mold
    with a detachable section.

    When I originally posted, the biggest factor was time. I needed to repair
    the computer quickly and the Hipro psu in question was the only psu I had on
    hand. As it turned out, I've had plenty of time to order a matching one for
    the Dell - either from Dell or an OEM from somewhere else.

    thank you for your input.

    jm

    JM, Nov 25, 2006
  8. JM

    Guest

    JM wrote:
    > Dell Dimension 4300 power supply just died. I have a new Hipro psu that
    > will work fine, except the psu connector is 24 pin. The Dell mobo is 20
    > pin. Most 24-pin psu's I've used have the 4 pins separated, so you can use
    > the psu with either 20 or 24 pin mobos. This Hipro is not like that.
    >
    > My question is, can I separate those 4 pins and use this power supply? It
    > appears that I can, but I'd like to know if others have done this.
    >
    > thank you,
    >
    > jm

    you can(and don't separate the 4), there are issues though. But I can't
    remember if they apply to pluging a 24 ionto a 20 or a 20 into a 24.
    Or both. Still, the issue was with PCIe cards demanding a lot of
    current, and it was seen as unlikely, since they should demand power
    from te PSU not the MBRD.

    the PSUs you saw (20+4) are not the same as 24.
    There are

    20
    20+4
    24
    24+4

    they are all different.

    don't cut off the 4 from the 24 and think they are the 4 that go in the
    separate socket. You'll really mess things up if you do that.

    see posts by Paul on the subject, in an overclocking forum or hardware
    forum. googlegroups.

    thread:is this FSP power supply any good ? FSP350-60THN-P (or too low
    on the 12v?)
    ng: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking

    thread: 24 pin ATX power vs 20 pin
    ng: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus