Modified pistol grip ballhead on monopod.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Doug Warner, Jul 13, 2003.

  1. Doug Warner

    Doug Warner Guest

    In case anyone is interested:
    http://webpages.charter.net/dwarner2/MonoQball.jpg

    I wanted to try a ballhead on my monopod, and had an unused Manfrotto
    3265 pistol grip head lying around. Mounted in the standard manner,
    I found it difficult to use, in that the camera swings in a large arc
    due to it's distance from the ball, and I needed to shift my grip
    between adjusting and shooting. (One hand on monopod, other on head
    grip to adjust)

    As you can see in the photo above, I inverted the 3265 head after
    removing the QR plate, cutting off the locating lug under it, adding a
    new mouting nut at the "top" and removing as much heavy metal as
    possible.

    Now, the head's grip portion becomes an extension of the monopod,
    leaving the right hand free to hold the camera and operate the
    controls.

    The most difficult part was making a custom 1/4 x 20 nut for the top
    (now bottom) of the grip to bring the threads flush with the surface
    for good engagement with the monopod's threaded stud. :
    http://webpages.charter.net/dwarner2/MonoQball2.jpg

    Tools used:
    Drill press: to drill and mill the excess metal away.
    Metal lathe: To modify a barrel nut and to thin the original "base".

    Note: If you disasemble this head, loosen the tension mechanism, and
    the lever setscrew.
    Separate the halves slightly at the top and rotate the spring plunger
    90 degrees. This will let you remove the plunger and spring past the
    handle.
    Separate the halves completely, taking care that the tension spring
    doesn't fly off somewhere. (Like it did for me).
    It's just a camera, not a religion!

    To reply, please remove one letter from each side of "@"
    Spammers are scammers, avoid them!
    Doug Warner, Jul 13, 2003

  2. Doug Warner

    Trajabador Guest

    This is an extremely clever and useful twist - outstanding work! I don't
    have the equipment to duplicate your effort, but that doesn't prevent me
    admiring it.

    "Doug Warner" <> wrote in message

    In case anyone is interested:
    http://webpages.charter.net/dwarner2/MonoQball.jpg