    Dial-Up Internal Modem
    http://www.zoom.com/products/dial_up_internal.html

    Thanks for your consideration and assistance,
    Me/PDX, Aug 24, 2006

  2. Me/PDX

    Rod Speed Guest

    Dail up modems are now such mature technology that there
    isnt any point in obsessing about them before buying anymore.

    Rod Speed, Aug 24, 2006

  3. Me/PDX

    Guest

    , Aug 24, 2006
  4. Me/PDX

    Plato Guest

    Rod Speed wrote:

    > Dail up modems are now such mature technology that there
    > isnt any point in obsessing about them before buying anymore.

    Agreed.
    Plato, Aug 24, 2006
  5. Me/PDX

    Plato Guest

    Me/PDX wrote:

    > Does anyone have any information on the quality and reliability of Zoom
    > Technologies, Inc Dial-Up Internal Modems?

    Not much of an issue anymore. These days it generally does not matter
    what brand of dial up modem you get.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Aug 24, 2006
  6. Me/PDX enlightened us 24hoursupport.helpdesk - (ab)users with:

    > Does anyone have any information on the quality and reliability of
    > Zoom Technologies, Inc Dial-Up Internal Modems?

    Internal modems these days are all AC97, which means they contain just
    the interface but no communication processor anymore - that has to be
    done by the cpu and needs a driver for windows.
    On heavy-loaded or old or somehow misconfigured computers you may
    experience occacional connection aborts.
    These internal "win"modems are not well suited for alternative operating
    systems like linux.

    > Thanks for your consideration and assistance,

    Advertising?
    Walter Mautner, Aug 24, 2006
  7. Me/PDX

    Rod Speed Guest

    Walter Mautner <> wrote
    > Me/PDX wrote

    >> Does anyone have any information on the quality and reliability
    >> of Zoom Technologies, Inc Dial-Up Internal Modems?

    > Internal modems these days are all AC97,

    Wrong, there's still a few modems around which arent.

    > which means they contain just the interface
    > but no communication processor anymore

    Wrong again. The vast bulk are controllerless but have a DSP.

    > - that has to be done by the cpu and needs a driver for windows.

    You did manage to get that last bit right.

    > On heavy-loaded or old or somehow misconfigured
    > computers you may experience occacional connection aborts.

    Wrong again.

    > These internal "win"modems are not well suited
    > for alternative operating systems like linux.

    Irrelevant if you arent using those.
    Rod Speed, Aug 24, 2006
  8. Me/PDX

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-08-24, Me/PDX <> wrote:
    > Does anyone have any information on the quality and reliability of Zoom
    > Technologies, Inc Dial-Up Internal Modems?
    >
    > Including any known issues?
    >
    > Might someone have a web link to locate user reviews of Zoom modems?
    >
    > Home page
    > http://www.zoom.com/
    >
    > Dial-Up Internal Modem
    > http://www.zoom.com/products/dial_up_internal.html
    >
    > Thanks for your consideration and assistance,

    I've been very happy with my Zoom model 3049 external serial modem; no
    problems at all for the three years I've been using it, with four
    different computers and with Windows 98SE, Windows XP, and various Linux
    distros.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Aug 24, 2006
  9. Me/PDX

    Leythos Guest

    In article <In9Hg.10893$>,
    says...
    > Does anyone have any information on the quality and reliability of Zoom
    > Technologies, Inc Dial-Up Internal Modems?
    >
    > Including any known issues?
    >
    > Might someone have a web link to locate user reviews of Zoom modems?
    >
    > Home page
    > http://www.zoom.com/
    >
    > Dial-Up Internal Modem
    > http://www.zoom.com/products/dial_up_internal.html
    >
    > Thanks for your consideration and assistance,

    In all the years that I've been using Modems (since the 70's), I would
    have to say that Zoom is one of the vendors I will not purchase from
    based on many experiences with them.

    US Robotics/Courier is the first choice of any quality solution.

    Multitech makes some quality Voice/CID/Modems that are very nice.

    Always buy an external instead of an internal, it will save you hours of
    diagnostic time when you have a problem.

    --

    remove 999 in order to email me
    Leythos, Aug 24, 2006
  10. Me/PDX

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 11:48:58 +0000, Leythos Has Frothed:

    > In article <In9Hg.10893$>,
    > says...
    >> Does anyone have any information on the quality and reliability of Zoom
    >> Technologies, Inc Dial-Up Internal Modems?
    >>
    >> Including any known issues?
    >>
    >> Might someone have a web link to locate user reviews of Zoom modems?
    >>
    >> Home page
    >> http://www.zoom.com/
    >>
    >> Dial-Up Internal Modem
    >> http://www.zoom.com/products/dial_up_internal.html
    >>
    >> Thanks for your consideration and assistance,

    > In all the years that I've been using Modems (since the 70's), I would
    > have to say that Zoom is one of the vendors I will not purchase from based
    > on many experiences with them.
    >
    > US Robotics/Courier is the first choice of any quality solution.
    >
    > Multitech makes some quality Voice/CID/Modems that are very nice.
    >
    > Always buy an external instead of an internal, it will save you hours of
    > diagnostic time when you have a problem.

    I've never had any problems with Zoom. However those that I have used in
    the field were set up to use with medical, goverment services like
    insurance billing, medicare, shit like that.

    Meat Plow, Aug 24, 2006
  11. Me/PDX

    Leythos Guest

    In article <-meatplow.local>,
    l says...
    > On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 11:48:58 +0000, Leythos Has Frothed:
    >
    > > In article <In9Hg.10893$>,
    > > says...
    > >> Does anyone have any information on the quality and reliability of Zoom
    > >> Technologies, Inc Dial-Up Internal Modems?
    > >>
    > >> Including any known issues?
    > >>
    > >> Might someone have a web link to locate user reviews of Zoom modems?
    > >>
    > >> Home page
    > >> http://www.zoom.com/
    > >>
    > >> Dial-Up Internal Modem
    > >> http://www.zoom.com/products/dial_up_internal.html
    > >>
    > >> Thanks for your consideration and assistance,

    > > In all the years that I've been using Modems (since the 70's), I would
    > > have to say that Zoom is one of the vendors I will not purchase from based
    > > on many experiences with them.
    > >
    > > US Robotics/Courier is the first choice of any quality solution.
    > >
    > > Multitech makes some quality Voice/CID/Modems that are very nice.
    > >
    > > Always buy an external instead of an internal, it will save you hours of
    > > diagnostic time when you have a problem.

    > I've never had any problems with Zoom. However those that I have used in
    > the field were set up to use with medical, goverment services like
    > insurance billing, medicare, shit like that.

    We do medical centers, pharmacies, nursing homes, assisted living, mfgr
    facilities, etc...

    I've not installed a Zoom in 5 years and based on 10 years of history
    before that, I will not install them again.

    --

    remove 999 in order to email me
    Leythos, Aug 24, 2006
  12. Me/PDX

    thanatoid Guest

    "Me/PDX" <> wrote in

    > Does anyone have any information on the quality and
    > reliability of Zoom Technologies, Inc Dial-Up Internal
    > Modems?
    >
    > Including any known issues?
    >
    > Might someone have a web link to locate user reviews of
    > Zoom modems?
    >
    > Home page
    > http://www.zoom.com/
    >
    > Dial-Up Internal Modem
    > http://www.zoom.com/products/dial_up_internal.html
    >
    > Thanks for your consideration and assistance,

    I looked at your second link and they look OK to me. They even
    mention Linux compatibility and seem to have good specs.

    I have been using a 33.6 internal US Robotics for 9 years and
    while it took a while to get it running right, it has performed
    perfectly since then.

    The warnings about SOME modems (usually a card 1/3 the size of
    the Zooms) being all based on the same crappy concept and using
    the main processor to do their thing are correct - stay away
    from them. They are often called win-modems.

    US Robotics/3com and Motorola are probably the best. But you can
    get a no-name chinese modem with an Intel chip for $20 or less
    and it will probably work fine.

    You can find out almost anything about whatever brand you are
    considering by Googling. I thought for a minute that Zooms were
    Supras, and checked on Supra (I bought a 28.8 voice Supra from a
    box of junk, no manual, nothing, found drivers on the web, works
    perfectly.) Lots of info.

    These days, if anything, I would suspect a modem might be even
    better built than they were say, 5 or 7 years ago, because it is
    not a mass-selling item. But that might be a very stupid
    assumption.

    Make sure you get an over-the-counter exchange/credit in case it
    turns out to be crap. You never know. Most non-mechanical
    computer components I have had experience with either break down
    within a month or less or work forever (well, 9 years).

    AFA internal vs external, the ext's are MUCH more expensive and
    I think it is an exaggeration to say they are THAT much easier
    to manage. Plus they take up space.

    Just my 2 cents.
    thanatoid, Aug 24, 2006
  13. Me/PDX

    Guest

    Leythos <> wrote:

    >> I've never had any problems with Zoom. However those that I have used in
    >> the field were set up to use with medical, goverment services like
    >> insurance billing, medicare, shit like that.

    >We do medical centers, pharmacies, nursing homes, assisted living, mfgr
    >facilities, etc...

    >I've not installed a Zoom in 5 years and based on 10 years of history
    >before that, I will not install them again.

    When Zoom modems first came out there was nothing but problems with
    them - I base this on all the help request and complaints flooding the
    BBS's and usenet due to Zoom modems when they first hit the market.

    They seem to of overcome the problems, as it's become a reliable
    modem.

    --
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v654/MachTurtle/tcpip_punch.gif
    , Aug 24, 2006
  14. Me/PDX

    Guest

    Me/PDX wrote:
    > Does anyone have any information on the quality and reliability of Zoom
    > Technologies, Inc Dial-Up Internal Modems?
    >
    > Including any known issues?
    >
    > Might someone have a web link to locate user reviews of Zoom modems?
    >
    > Home page
    > http://www.zoom.com/
    >
    > Dial-Up Internal Modem
    > http://www.zoom.com/products/dial_up_internal.html
    >
    > Thanks for your consideration and assistance,

    You can go for an internal, if you like, or you can gowith the best and
    never experience a problem.

    Maestro Woomera is the best modem you can buy - google will give it to you.
    Had one for over five years, and never had one connection drop on my
    end, in areas with wildly fluctuating current variables.
    , Aug 26, 2006
  15. Me/PDX

    thanatoid Guest

    lid wrote in news::

    > Me/PDX wrote:
    >> Does anyone have any information on the quality and
    >> reliability of Zoom Technologies, Inc Dial-Up Internal
    >> Modems?
    >>
    >> Including any known issues?
    >>
    >> Might someone have a web link to locate user reviews of
    >> Zoom modems?
    >>
    >> Home page
    >> http://www.zoom.com/
    >>
    >> Dial-Up Internal Modem
    >> http://www.zoom.com/products/dial_up_internal.html
    >>
    >> Thanks for your consideration and assistance,
    >>

    > You can go for an internal, if you like, or you can gowith
    > the best and never experience a problem.
    >
    > Maestro Woomera is the best modem you can buy - google will
    > give it to you. Had one for over five years, and never had
    > one connection drop on my end, in areas with wildly
    > fluctuating current variables.

    I must admit I thought you made this up because of the
    ridiculous name, but it DOES look VERY good. Very expensive,
    though.

    It could be more than most people need. I live in a third world
    country where in some places the phone lines are stitched
    together from bits of RG59 cable and AC cable, and the "power"
    (anywhere from 100 to 140V) goes out several times a week, often
    daily, etc etc etc, and my 9 year old USR 33.6 works just
    perfectly. Hard to believe, I know. (Of course I have a line
    regulator and a UPS.)
    thanatoid, Aug 26, 2006