    Any ideas would sure be appreciated!

    Thanks,
    Ray

    Lunaray, Sep 29, 2004

  2. Lunaray

    Thor Guest

    "Lunaray" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I've been trying to get my nephew's modem to work and I've tried
    > everything
    > I can think of, I've tried changing slots, removing, reinstalling,
    > differnt
    > modem, I even tried an external modem hooked to the serial port and
    > nothing
    > works! Device Manager says everything is working, but the modems won't
    > even
    > dial! Are there some protocols that might be missing?

    won't dial. Ok, what error messages are you getting, if any?

    Thor, Sep 30, 2004

  3. Lunaray

    Lunaray Guest

    None, it just sits there! No dialing sounds, nothing! If I query the
    modem, it does return the initialization string (I think that's what it's
    called), but it won't do anything), and with the external modem, none of the
    lights indicate that anything is happening either.

    Thanks for your response to my post!

    won't dial. Ok, what error messages are you getting, if any?

    Lunaray, Sep 30, 2004
  4. Lunaray

    Thor Guest

    "Lunaray" <> wrote in message
    > None, it just sits there! No dialing sounds, nothing! If I query the
    > modem, it does return the initialization string (I think that's what it's
    > called), but it won't do anything), and with the external modem, none of
    > the
    > lights indicate that anything is happening either.
    >
    > Thanks for your response to my post!

    > won't dial. Ok, what error messages are you getting, if any?

    Not likely a modem issue then. Sounds like the dialup networking component
    is corrupted. Try deleting and reinstalling the dialup connection and
    associated settings.

    Thor, Sep 30, 2004
  5. Lunaray

    Lunaray Guest

    Thanks again Thor, I think you're on the right track! I finally got the
    external modem working (chose a different driver), but the internal is still
    a problem! However, I am getting a new error now, telling me that some
    system files have been replaced with ones of an "Unrecognized Format" and
    that I need the original Windows 2000 CD to restore them, well who knows
    where that is, this is a hand-me-down, used computer, don't know where it's
    been! My nephew will have to be happy with using an external modem for now;
    if he wants to format and replace his OS, I guess that's probably the only
    solution to getting his internal modem working.

    Lunaray, Sep 30, 2004
  6. Lunaray

    L;ozT Guest

    "Lunaray" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks again Thor, I think you're on the right track! I finally got the
    > external modem working (chose a different driver), but the internal is

    still
    > a problem! However, I am getting a new error now, telling me that some
    > system files have been replaced with ones of an "Unrecognized Format" and
    > that I need the original Windows 2000 CD to restore them, well who knows
    > where that is, this is a hand-me-down, used computer, don't know where

    it's
    > been! My nephew will have to be happy with using an external modem for

    now;
    > if he wants to format and replace his OS, I guess that's probably the only
    > solution to getting his internal modem working.

    ....try typing 'SFC' at a command prompt. In theory, the 'System File
    Checker' which comes as part of Win2k has a store of all required system
    files, which it will check each of in turn, and replace where necessary -
    but it might depend on how Win2k was installed whether or not it might ask
    for the CD - but in theory it won't.

    Do let us know how you get on.

    Cheers

    L;ozT

    L;ozT, Sep 30, 2004
  7. Lunaray

    Lunaray Guest

    Thank you! Well I gave it a shot, and when I rebooted, a bunch of unusual
    stuff happened, but it happened so fast that I couldn't really tell what was
    going on. Never the less, I'm still getting the same error. The external
    modem works though, so my nephew is at least on-line now, which has created
    an even bigger problem, he signed up with AOL! Oh god, I feel ill!

    Lunaray, Oct 1, 2004
  8. Lunaray

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Lunaray" <> wrote in

    > Never the less, I'm still getting the same error.

    You could always just disable system file checker. I've never found a good
    reason to leave it running on my home computers.

    --
    website: http://www.demonlag.com
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk

    DeMoN LaG, Oct 1, 2004