    get the message "Cannot read...port failure." Could this be caused by
    how I've connected the modem to the wall jack, or is there some type of
    driver problem, etc. How can I fix this?

    cgott, Sep 14, 2005

  2. cgott

    JANA Guest

    First make sure that there is no port conflict between the modem, and any
    other serial port that is in the system. Also, make sure that the drivers
    are properly installed.

    Look in to the system configuration, and see if there are any serial port
    conflicts. Also check for any IRQ conflicts in dealing with the serial
    ports.

    The fault has nothing to do with the phone lines if it cannot properly find
    the modem port.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    "cgott" <> wrote in message
    A while ago I removed my internal modem from a Compaq Presario 5070 and
    then re-installed it months later. When I try to go online I get the
    message "Port was disconnected due to hardware failure." If I go into
    the device manager and try to bring up the properties of the modem, I

    JANA, Sep 14, 2005

  3. cgott

    Bellaw I.T. Guest

    cgott wrote:
    > A while ago I removed my internal modem from a Compaq Presario 5070 and
    > then re-installed it months later. When I try to go online I get the
    > message "Port was disconnected due to hardware failure." If I go into
    > the device manager and try to bring up the properties of the modem, I
    > get the message "Cannot read...port failure." Could this be caused by
    > how I've connected the modem to the wall jack, or is there some type of
    > driver problem, etc. How can I fix this?

    You should tell what op that you are running and why you removed the
    modem in the first place

    But it sounds to me like a modem problem and as internal modems have
    there own port usally serial port 3. The drivers that came with the
    machine usally have the drivers or if you have not re-installed windowsx
    the drivers should still be on the system.With compaq try the dir that
    compaq put all the system drivers

    If cant find the orginal drivers try driversguide .com to find it
    install the driver and then it should work. By the way the modem driver
    will be under the name of the manufactor so have a look on the card for
    the manufactor name IE Connextant Modem.

    If i can be a help further just ask

    lawrie

    Bellaw I.T., Sep 15, 2005