Modem trouble

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Alistair Echlin, Jul 22, 2004.

  1. Hi there

    I have a Packard Bell Pulsar PC which I have just wiped to install a clean
    copy of Win 98 for my father. Before the 'wipe' the modem worked etc. The
    problem I have now is finding the "Correct Driver" for it. I have tried at
    PB website, I have tried several at driver.com to no avail.

    The label on the modem says:

    Aztech Systems GmbH
    MDP3858V-E ----- I take it this is the model number?????

    When in Device Manager it tells me that a Rockwell 33.6 DPF is installed.

    On the chip it does say Rockwell 97 9839 B63993.3

    So do I look for Rockwell drivers or do I look for Aztech drivers??????

    I had this trouble before a long time ago and I managed to get the thing
    working, but its starting to drive me mad now :eek:(

    Can somebody please point me in the right direction...

    Many Thanks

    Alistair - UK
    Alistair Echlin, Jul 22, 2004

  2. Alistair Echlin

    Pepperoni Guest

    I'm sure you can find them at:
    http://www.priorityonesupport.com/

    You will need to register. They can show your system specs using your
    serial number or model number. Search is sometimes twitchy, but I get
    drivers here.

    Pepperoni, Jul 22, 2004

  3. Alistair Echlin

    HF Guest

    www.drivers.com

    > Hi there
    >
    > I have a Packard Bell Pulsar PC which I have just wiped to install a clean
    > copy of Win 98 for my father. Before the 'wipe' the modem worked etc. The
    > problem I have now is finding the "Correct Driver" for it. I have tried at
    > PB website, I have tried several at driver.com to no avail.
    >
    > The label on the modem says:
    >
    > Aztech Systems GmbH
    > MDP3858V-E ----- I take it this is the model number?????
    >
    > When in Device Manager it tells me that a Rockwell 33.6 DPF is installed.
    >
    > On the chip it does say Rockwell 97 9839 B63993.3
    >

    > So do I look for Rockwell drivers or do I look for Aztech drivers??????
    >
    > I had this trouble before a long time ago and I managed to get the thing
    > working, but its starting to drive me mad now :eek:(
    >
    > Can somebody please point me in the right direction...
    >
    > Many Thanks
    >
    > Alistair - UK

    ---
    HF, Jul 22, 2004
  4. Alistair Echlin

    Pen Guest

    http://www.aztech.com.sg/SAnalog.htm#9
    see sections 4 and 5.

    Pen, Jul 22, 2004
  5. Alistair Echlin

    Sirius Guest

    Alistair Echlin wrote:
    > Hi there
    >
    > I have a Packard Bell Pulsar PC which I have just wiped to install a clean
    > copy of Win 98 for my father. Before the 'wipe' the modem worked etc. The
    > problem I have now is finding the "Correct Driver" for it. I have tried at
    > PB website, I have tried several at driver.com to no avail.
    >
    > The label on the modem says:
    >
    > Aztech Systems GmbH
    > MDP3858V-E ----- I take it this is the model number?????
    >
    > When in Device Manager it tells me that a Rockwell 33.6 DPF is installed.
    >
    > On the chip it does say Rockwell 97 9839 B63993.3
    >

    > So do I look for Rockwell drivers or do I look for Aztech drivers??????
    >
    > I had this trouble before a long time ago and I managed to get the thing
    > working, but its starting to drive me mad now :eek:(
    >
    > Can somebody please point me in the right direction...
    >
    > Many Thanks
    >
    > Alistair - UK

    Hi,

    Did it ever work OK? I had an MDP3858-U as my first modem and put up
    with poor download speeds and frequent disconnections for years. Getting
    a decent modem solved that problem but I've never known for sure if I
    just had a faulty one or if the design is bad.

    For drivers try here:

    http://www.aztech.com/SAnalog.htm#13
    Sirius, Jul 22, 2004
  6. Alistair Echlin

    Thor Guest

    "Sirius" <> wrote in message
    > Alistair Echlin wrote:
    > > Hi there
    > >
    > > I have a Packard Bell Pulsar PC which I have just wiped to install a

    clean
    > > copy of Win 98 for my father. Before the 'wipe' the modem worked etc.

    The
    > > problem I have now is finding the "Correct Driver" for it. I have tried

    at
    > > PB website, I have tried several at driver.com to no avail.
    > >
    > > The label on the modem says:
    > >
    > > Aztech Systems GmbH
    > > MDP3858V-E ----- I take it this is the model number?????
    > >
    > > When in Device Manager it tells me that a Rockwell 33.6 DPF is

    installed.

    > > On the chip it does say Rockwell 97 9839 B63993.3
    > >

    > > So do I look for Rockwell drivers or do I look for Aztech drivers??????
    > >
    > > I had this trouble before a long time ago and I managed to get the thing
    > > working, but its starting to drive me mad now :eek:(
    > >
    > > Can somebody please point me in the right direction...
    > >
    > > Many Thanks
    > >
    > > Alistair - UK

    > Hi,
    >
    > Did it ever work OK? I had an MDP3858-U as my first modem and put up
    > with poor download speeds and frequent disconnections for years. Getting
    > a decent modem solved that problem but I've never known for sure if I
    > just had a faulty one or if the design is bad.

    IMHO, it was just a crap modem. I had one once. Same problems. I've also
    seen the 3858 models in numerous customer PCs, and they tend to have poor
    connectivity. But then again, Aztech was never really known for quality
    products in general. They used to make sound cards and they were the biggest
    bitches in the world to get working with the various games at the time.
    Thor, Jul 22, 2004
  7. Alistair Echlin

    13 Guest

    Thor wrote:
    > "Sirius" <> wrote in message

    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>Did it ever work OK? I had an MDP3858-U as my first modem and put up
    >>with poor download speeds and frequent disconnections for years. Getting
    >>a decent modem solved that problem but I've never known for sure if I
    >>just had a faulty one or if the design is bad.

    > IMHO, it was just a crap modem. I had one once. Same problems. I've also
    > seen the 3858 models in numerous customer PCs, and they tend to have poor
    > connectivity. But then again, Aztech was never really known for quality
    > products in general. They used to make sound cards and they were the biggest
    > bitches in the world to get working with the various games at the time.

    Interesting - so my experience wasn't unique.

    I replaced it for a while with a 33K ISA modem - got over twice the
    download speed and I don't remember any disconnections at all.

    I'm using a SupraExpress 56i pro at the moment. I think it is another
    winmodem (as it is described as HCF) and although download speed is fine
    - better than the 33k, I do seem to get the (very) occassional
    disconnection. Are these just a fact of life with winmodems??
    13, Jul 23, 2004
  8. Alistair Echlin

    Thor Guest

    > I replaced it for a while with a 33K ISA modem - got over twice the
    > download speed and I don't remember any disconnections at all.
    >
    > I'm using a SupraExpress 56i pro at the moment. I think it is another
    > winmodem (as it is described as HCF) and although download speed is fine
    > - better than the 33k, I do seem to get the (very) occassional
    > disconnection. Are these just a fact of life with winmodems??

    Not necessarily. The higher connect speed you are now getting might not be
    as stable, and may be just a little more vulnerable to noise. These days, a
    good quality winmodem is every bit as good as a full hardware modem, IMHO.
    System speeds common today are far and away fast enough to handle all the
    controller and DSP functions in software without a problem. Years ago, if
    the CPU got a little too busy to process the modem functions, it could
    affect connection stability, but it shouldn't be a problem these days unless
    your system is very old (like in the 120Mhz range). I have found Diamond
    Supra modems to be very good on average.
    Thor, Jul 23, 2004
  9. Alistair Echlin

    Sirius Guest

    >>I replaced it for a while with a 33K ISA modem - got over twice the
    >>download speed and I don't remember any disconnections at all.
    >>
    >>I'm using a SupraExpress 56i pro at the moment. I think it is another
    >>winmodem (as it is described as HCF) and although download speed is fine
    >>- better than the 33k, I do seem to get the (very) occassional
    >>disconnection. Are these just a fact of life with winmodems??

    > Not necessarily. The higher connect speed you are now getting might not be
    > as stable, and may be just a little more vulnerable to noise. These days, a
    > good quality winmodem is every bit as good as a full hardware modem, IMHO.
    > System speeds common today are far and away fast enough to handle all the
    > controller and DSP functions in software without a problem. Years ago, if
    > the CPU got a little too busy to process the modem functions, it could
    > affect connection stability, but it shouldn't be a problem these days unless
    > your system is very old (like in the 120Mhz range). I have found Diamond
    > Supra modems to be very good on average.

    Not 120 Mhz old but 400 Mhz old and I usually have lots of apps running
    at once - so lack of CPU could well be the cause . . . and it is a noisy
    line (electric fence) so noise could also be a factor . . . looking now
    for a 56K isa modem - which seem to go for next to nothing on Ebay now.
    Sirius, Jul 23, 2004
  10. Cunning Linguist, Jul 23, 2004
  11. On 23 Jul 2004 13:42:37 GMT, (Cunning Linguist) wrote:

    >Pen wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.aztech.com.sg/SAnalog.htm#9
    >> see sections 4 and 5.

    >Fucking hell. Still top posting. How rude.
    >
    >Remember. Top posting = fucktard.

    Pen. A warning. This person posts under different names but you will
    notice that his "style" loosely speaking, is always the same.
    John H. Power, Jul 23, 2004
  12. Alistair Echlin

    Michael-NC Guest

    I like top-posting. Don't listen to the NG Fascists!

    Michael-NC, Jul 23, 2004
  13. Many thanks to you that pointed me in the right direction. Found a site
    that basicly told me to delete in Device Manager, anything that had a yellow
    ? that said PCI. Removed them then installed the driver that I aquired from
    many sites many times and it loaded straight in!!!!!!

    These things are set to try us eh?

    Many Thanks

    Alistair

    PS. Am I going to get shot for top posting or should I have wrote this under
    the previous message??

    Alistair Echlin, Jul 23, 2004
  14. Alistair Echlin

    Michael-NC Guest

    It's _Your_ choice....

    > Many thanks to you that pointed me in the right direction. Found a site
    > that basicly told me to delete in Device Manager, anything that had a

    yellow
    > ? that said PCI. Removed them then installed the driver that I aquired

    from
    > many sites many times and it loaded straight in!!!!!!
    >
    > These things are set to try us eh?
    >
    > Many Thanks
    >
    > Alistair
    >
    > PS. Am I going to get shot for top posting or should I have wrote this

    under
    > the previous message??

    You can top post, middle post or bottom post.

    Never bow to any Newsgroup Fascist.
    Michael-NC, Jul 23, 2004