    What can I do to get back on the net? I don't know how to check and
    fix these things. Thanks for any help.

    JCRitchie

    John Ritchie, Aug 2, 2007

  2. John Ritchie

    jdl Guest

    John Ritchie wrote:
    > I have an old Bluelight computer (633 mg processor, enough memory). I
    > had to reinstall the OS because of problems. Now, when I try to get on
    > the internet, I get messages like, "the driver does not support your
    > hardware", "modem may be disconnected or turned off", "verify the
    > interupt for the port is properly set".
    > I went to the device status window for the modem and it said the
    > modum is workng properly. It also said the driver for it is "comm.dr."
    > and is 5862 bytes.
    > What can I do to get back on the net? I don't know how to check and
    > fix these things. Thanks for any help.
    >
    > JCRitchie

    If I were you, I'd open the case and write down exactly what make/model
    of modem you have and then search for the driver for that model on the
    internet (make sure you get the correct driver for whatever OS you use),
    and then burn the driver to CD-R or save to a floppy. Before installing
    the new driver, delete the current driver out of the Device Manager.
    Then installing the new/correct driver should make it work properly.

    Too bad you have to suffer with dial-up. The $25/month I spend on high
    speed is worth it. I'd rather change my diet and start eating large
    amounts of simple, cheap food like beans and rice rather than go to
    dial-up. :)

    jdl, Aug 3, 2007

  3. John Ritchie

    JANA Guest

    Verify that the modem and or the port is not defective.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    JANA, Aug 5, 2007
  4. John Ritchie

    John Ritchie Guest

    How do I verify they're OK?

    JCRitchie

    John Ritchie, Aug 9, 2007
  5. John Ritchie

    - Bobb - Guest

    > How do I verify they're OK?

    John,

    Are you breaking everything you're touching ? Or trying to help someone
    else out ?
    Specifically, what's the problem with them ?
    These are dialup (56k) modems or DSL ?
    On same PC ? Did they ever work ? They don't dial ?
    Do you HEAR them dialing ?

    For basic stuff, it's all been asked/answered and you can get solutions
    faster than typing here.

    try google and type in your problem, like

    56k modem test will not connect

    and you'll get 10,000 hits

    narrow your problem/hits by specifics .

    - Bobb -, Aug 10, 2007
  6. John Ritchie

    Paul Guest

    John Ritchie wrote:
    > How do I verify they're OK?
    >
    > JCRitchie

    Could you give us a hint as to what kind of modem ?

    Is it connected to a COM port on the back of the computer ?
    External modems are a plastic box that sits outside the computer.

    http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage/productimage/25-104-135-11.jpg

    Or is it a PCI or ISA card plugged into the motherboard ?
    On one of those, the phone line plugs into the card, where
    all those PCI slots are on the back of the computer.

    http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage/productimage/25-104-001-07.jpg

    Also, it sounds like you are using an older OS.
    What OS is it ?

    Paul

    Paul, Aug 10, 2007
  7. John Ritchie

    John Ritchie Guest

    I did leave some details out there, didn't I? Sorry about that.
    It uses Windows 98se. 663 mg processor, enough memory. The modem was
    internal but the drivers got erased (I guess) when I reinstalled the
    OS. I looked on the internet for drivers at the Microsoft site but they
    don't make Windows 98se anymore and didn't have driver downloads.
    I got an external modem from Amazon.com (Actiontec 56k V90) and hooked
    it up through com1. It seems to be OK. It stopped dialing and making
    sounds when I tried the MSN connection window but would dial and make
    sounds when I clicked on the MSN dial up networking icon but would not
    connect.
    I reinstalled the OS again and I guess I did it wrong before because
    this time I got an MSN connect wizard icon on the desktop that wasn't
    there before. I clicked on it and connected to MSN. They said my MSN
    connection was outdated and they're sending me a CD-ROM to update it so
    I guess my new modems OK.
    My computer was working fine until I downloaded and installed a bunch
    of driver updates a few months ago.
    Anyway, I really appreciate all of your help. I'm trying to teach
    myself computing with books and the internet but I have a ways to go.
    Thanks again.

    JCRitchie

    John Ritchie, Aug 10, 2007
  8. John Ritchie

    Paul Guest

    John Ritchie wrote:
    > I did leave some details out there, didn't I? Sorry about that.
    > It uses Windows 98se. 663 mg processor, enough memory. The modem was
    > internal but the drivers got erased (I guess) when I reinstalled the
    > OS. I looked on the internet for drivers at the Microsoft site but they
    > don't make Windows 98se anymore and didn't have driver downloads.
    > I got an external modem from Amazon.com (Actiontec 56k V90) and hooked
    > it up through com1. It seems to be OK. It stopped dialing and making
    > sounds when I tried the MSN connection window but would dial and make
    > sounds when I clicked on the MSN dial up networking icon but would not
    > connect.
    > I reinstalled the OS again and I guess I did it wrong before because
    > this time I got an MSN connect wizard icon on the desktop that wasn't
    > there before. I clicked on it and connected to MSN. They said my MSN
    > connection was outdated and they're sending me a CD-ROM to update it so
    > I guess my new modems OK.
    > My computer was working fine until I downloaded and installed a bunch
    > of driver updates a few months ago.
    > Anyway, I really appreciate all of your help. I'm trying to teach
    > myself computing with books and the internet but I have a ways to go.
    > Thanks again.
    >

    > JCRitchie

    Internal modems come in a couple types. A "Winmodem" is a very basic device,
    where what the hardware does, is take digital samples of the phone line at
    regular intervals. Then, your processor is used, to perform digital signal
    processing. The DSP listens to the tone on the phone line, and converts that
    to bits and eventually characters. At that level in the conversion process,
    the modem then resembles an ordinary modem. A "driver" in that case, consists
    of a ton of DSP code, and software emulation of hardware functions. The last
    driver I installed like that, was about 750KB in size.

    An external modem is much simpler for the computer, as it deals in streams
    of characters, and takes care of listening to the phone line itself.

    An external modem has command and data modes. In command mode, you use the
    Hayes AT command set, to send the modem commands. The Winmodem also
    accepts the AT command set, and the software emulates things that might be
    otherwise done in hardware. Once the dialup string has been sent to the
    modem, and the negotiation sequence with the modem at the ISP is complete, the
    modem switches over to data mode. All characters sent and received at that
    point, are handled by a protocol like PPP.

    No matter which kind of modem is used, it will be access with Dial Up Networking.
    An example of all the little steps to set up DUN, is shown in this document.
    If your current setup is not working, you can try setting up a new DUN icon,
    by following the steps here.

    http://www.oakland.edu/uts/helpdesk/docs/old/olddocs/old/Win98OLDdialup.pdf

    I seem to remember, when I had a modem connected to my computer, that
    while Windows was booting. the modem lights would flicker for a moment.
    I think Windows probes the modem, using the Hayes command set, and gets
    information about the modem during boot. I presume that is how it knows
    what the modem is, and puts a descriptive string in the DUN dialog.

    So, if you have the details of your ISP, like phone number and the like,
    try setting up DUN again, and see if it works.

    For a serial port, the thing is first come first serve. If another program
    "grabs" a serial port, it becomes "busy". If a second program attempts to
    use the port, it may fail, and report that the port is already busy. The
    fun part then, is figuring out what is keeping it busy. The software
    won't say "Oh, hyperterminal is holding up this port", so you have to
    use guesswork to figure it out. At least, in the past, I didn't find
    any technique for figuring it out.

    Paul

    Paul, Aug 11, 2007