    after about 8 times it stops and Norton's loads.
    I have let it dial out once and it gives no indication as to what program is
    dialing out. Any help would be appreciated.
    Davidand, Sep 21, 2003

  2. Davidand

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 08:54:47 GMT, Davidand wrote:

    >I am running Win98 and everytime I boot my PC my modem tries to dial out. I
    >have Norton's Antivirus and Firewall installed. My modem tries to dial out

    NAV won't usually tell the modem (dialingr app) not to dial out.

    >before these load at start-up. I have not installed any new programs or
    >devices lately. None of my programs are set to auto-update or to check for
    >updates. I have checked the number it is dialing and it is the correct one.

    You NAV should be set to auto update, unless you remember to manually do
    it all the time.

    >This has been happening now for about 2 weeks. If I just keep hitting escape
    >after about 8 times it stops and Norton's loads.
    >I have let it dial out once and it gives no indication as to what program is

    So no strange long distance numbers on your bill?

    >dialing out. Any help would be appreciated.

    Ad-aware - http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
    Spybot S& D - http://security.kolla.de/ can't reach just now
    try http://spybot.eon.net.au/

    In the modem properties, turn on the Create Modem Log, this way you may
    be able to see what is happening.

    Me
    why?, Sep 21, 2003

  3. Davidand

    Davidand Guest

    Just mentioned Norton's so you know I have them installed. I did not think
    they were the culprits. I update at least once a week unless I know more
    nasties are floating around. My PC has been running fine for months but has
    only just started doing this. I have no strange numbers appearing on my
    phone bill. I have also got Spybot on my PC and says all ok.

    Davidand, Sep 21, 2003
  4. Davidand

    Boomer Guest

    Davidand said:

    > I am running Win98 and everytime I boot my PC my modem tries to
    > dial out. I have Norton's Antivirus and Firewall installed. My
    > modem tries to dial out before these load at start-up. I have
    > not installed any new programs or devices lately. None of my
    > programs are set to auto-update or to check for updates. I have
    > checked the number it is dialing and it is the correct one. This
    > has been happening now for about 2 weeks. If I just keep hitting
    > escape after about 8 times it stops and Norton's loads.
    > I have let it dial out once and it gives no indication as to
    > what program is dialing out. Any help would be appreciated.

    Did you check this out?

    Control Panel> Internet Options. Connections tab, select the dial-up
    account and click Settings. On the Settings dialogue, click
    Properties,
    Options tab, uncheck "Redial if line is dropped".

    Or

    Control Panel> Network Connections. Select the dial-up account, then
    Advanced> Dial-up Preferences.
    On the Autodial tab check "Always ask me before autodialling".
    Boomer, Sep 21, 2003
  5. Davidand

    °Mike° Guest

    Modem Dials when Windows starts