    Vista.

    Thanks
    Teak
    teak, Dec 21, 2009

  2. teak

    Bill Eitner Guest

    teak wrote:
    > How can someone speed up there dial-up modem? I sthat possible? I have
    > Vista.
    >

    > Thanks
    > Teak

    You can't speed it up enough to matter--really.

    Much of the dial-up limitations are due to actual (meaning
    you can hear it) noise on the line.

    So, the first and most important step is to pick up the
    phone and listen to it. If you hear anything other than
    a perfectly clear dial-tone, get it fixed--that will help
    a dial-up connection the most.

    Then look at the actual connection speed--it should be
    28.8 or higher on up to a maximum of something like 53.
    I think something like 48.8 is the theoretical maximum.
    Bill Eitner, Dec 22, 2009

  3. teak

    teak Guest

    On Dec 21, 9:53 pm, Bill Eitner <> wrote:
    > teak wrote:
    > > How can someone speed up there dial-up modem? I sthat possible? I have
    > > Vista.

    > > Thanks
    > > Teak

    >         You can't speed it up enough to matter--really.
    >
    >         Much of the dial-up limitations are due to actual (meaning
    >         you can hear it) noise on the line.
    >
    >         So, the first and most important step is to pick up the
    >         phone and listen to it.  If you hear anything other than
    >         a perfectly clear dial-tone, get it fixed--that will help
    >         a dial-up connection the most.
    >
    >         Then look at the actual connection speed--it should be
    >         28.8 or higher on up to a maximum of something like 53.
    >         I think something like 48.8 is the theoretical maximum.
    > --

    Where do I go for connection speed?

    Thanks again
    teak, Dec 22, 2009
  4. teak

    soup Guest

    teak wrote:

    > Where do I go for connection speed?

    There are many speed test sites (try googling 'dial up connection
    speed test') before using any of them.
    Restart your PC, disable any proxy settings in your browser, clear
    the browser cache, close down all other programs (including MSN and
    other chat programs that may automatically start when you boot up) and
    make sure there is nobody else using your internet connection (if you're
    on a network).

    If you think you have problems beyond loose wires, noisy 'phone line,
    etc get your ISP techs to deal, after all if you faff with their
    equipment all warranties/insurance is out the window. It takes a 'big
    person' to admit (s)he doesn't know everything and it's time to let
    others deal. This dealing may involve you changing some settings in the
    modem configuration, following instructions given over the phone.
    I have a cable modem but my browser can access the modem logs on
    I.P. 92.168.100.1

    E.G.
    http://www.sidtech.co.uk/iu/soup6106435570.JPG
    soup, Dec 24, 2009