    the ip connection to the router which is acting as the DHCP server. Does
    anyone know how to do this?

    Thanks...Peter
    Peter Welk, Aug 26, 2004

  2. Peter Welk

    Frank Guest

    Post to more groups.

    Frank, Aug 26, 2004

  3. Peter Welk

    C.D.Kuder Guest

    The closest thing I know of is an SMC router that has a built in serial port
    for use with a dial up modem. The Cable modem is connected on an ethernet
    port, and the router uses the dialup as backup. Sorry.

    C.D.Kuder, Aug 26, 2004
  4. Peter Welk

    André Cruz Guest

    Hello,

    Let me see if i got this right... you want to keep your cable modem
    connection and set up a new dial up connection shared in one of the
    computers ? If you don't want to set it up in the dhcp server set it up in
    one of the others :) You can share the dial up connection and set it up in a
    way that when no connection is avaiable the computers dial it. I really
    don't see what's the problem...

    The best way it's to connect

    André Cruz, Aug 26, 2004
  5. Peter Welk

    Jack Guest

    Hi.

    Sharing the Internet is based on Network Address Translation (NAT). The
    Routing part of a Cable/DSL Router is a NAT.

    ICS is software NAT. You can not have two NATs on one Network.

    However you can use a DialUp Modem on any of the computers even when the
    Cable service is On, but you can not share this Dialup connection.

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Aug 26, 2004
  6. Peter Welk

    Peter Welk Guest

    Jack,
    Thanks for your response. It there a work around or some 3 party software
    which will allow ICS on a client computer?
    Thanks...Peter

    Peter Welk, Aug 27, 2004