modem/router + wireless router setup problem

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Bob Bedford, Sep 20, 2005.

  1. Bob Bedford

    Bob Bedford Guest

    I've 1 ADSL modem (zyxel 650ME) wich is connected to internet.
    This ADSL modem is also a DHCP server and may serve up to 4 addresses.
    It's default IP configuration is 192.168.1.1
    It uses PPOe mode.

    I've just bought a LinkSys Wireless router. It has 4 ethernet ports and
    wireless access.
    It's default IP configuration is also 192.168.1.1
    this router has off course DHCP server enabled and may serve many more
    connections (up to 50), so I'm not limited to 4 addresses anymore.

    What I'm tring to do is configure the linksys as a DHCP server, wich does
    serve all my computers's addresses and not to use the modem DHCP feature.
    Problem is that I don't know how to set the modem later as it doesn't have
    any IP. I don't want 2 subnets, all computers must be visible in the same
    192.168.1.X subnet.

    How to do so ? I'm quite a newbie in such networking stuffs.
    How to set up the modem. Should I disable DHCP, what IP set up to it ?
    How to set up the Wireless router ? with DHCP but wich IP ?

    Bob

    Bob Bedford, Sep 20, 2005

  2. Bob Bedford

    Jack \(MVP\) Guest

    Hi
    Some of this Modem/Router combos have a menu entry that can disable the Router part and
    they can act as modems only.
    Other wise connect the Linksys by it self to a computer and change its IP to
    192.168.2.1, then connect the output of the Modem/Router to the WAN port as a static
    connection. You can build then a Network behind the Linksys that would be around
    192.168.2.1 to 192.168.2.254.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP\), Sep 21, 2005