    error messages when trying to connect (and all my phones go dead as well!!).
    Is there a "Reset" programme for the modem - HELP!!!

    David
    DavidLilley, Sep 6, 2004

  2. DavidLilley

    Smoker Guest

    "DavidLilley" <> wrote in message
    news:chi5ur$dsi$...
    > Can anyone help? Following a recent thunderstorm my modem has been

    playing
    > up - I can only connect to the Internet now if I disconnect then reconnect
    > the telephone line. This is becoming a pain. If I don't do this, I get
    > error messages when trying to connect (and all my phones go dead as

    well!!).
    > Is there a "Reset" programme for the modem - HELP!!!

    Maybe if you completely remove it from your system -- software wise and
    physically from your machine, then reinstall it. You might first want to try
    going through the routine of updating the driver and even if Windows chooses
    the same one, it may replace whatever could be corrupted. The problem might
    be with your telephone wiring however. A modem shouldn't be able to make all
    your phones go dead, IMO.
    Smoker, Sep 6, 2004

  3. DavidLilley

    Toolman Tim Guest

    >| "DavidLilley" <> wrote in message
    >| > Can anyone help? Following a recent thunderstorm my modem has
    >| > been playing up - I can only connect to the Internet now if I
    >| > disconnect then reconnect the telephone line. This is becoming a
    >| > pain. If I don't do this, I get error messages when trying to
    >| > connect (and all my phones go dead as well!!). Is there a "Reset"
    >| > programme for the modem - HELP!!!
    >| >
    >| Maybe if you completely remove it from your system -- software wise
    >| and physically from your machine, then reinstall it. You might first
    >| want to try going through the routine of updating the driver and
    >| even if Windows chooses the same one, it may replace whatever could
    >| be corrupted. The problem might be with your telephone wiring
    >| however. A modem shouldn't be able to make all your phones go dead,
    >| IMO.

    If the modem has taken control of the line, fails to dial, then doesn't
    release the line, then yes, the rest of the phones in the house won't work
    since the modem is techincally still "on line".

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~
    Toolman Tim, Sep 6, 2004
  4. DavidLilley

    °Mike° Guest

    Have you checked your phone lines, with the modem
    DISCONNECTED? Have you had them checked with
    your Telco, since the thunderstorm?

    On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 17:45:32 +0100, in
    <chi5ur$dsi$>
    DavidLilley scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Sep 6, 2004
  5. DavidLilley

    DavidLilley Guest

    That's exactly what seems to be happening - is there a way to fix it??

    DavidLilley, Sep 6, 2004
  6. DavidLilley wrote:
    > Can anyone help? Following a recent thunderstorm my modem has been playing
    > up - I can only connect to the Internet now if I disconnect then reconnect
    > the telephone line. This is becoming a pain. If I don't do this, I get
    > error messages when trying to connect (and all my phones go dead as well!!).
    > Is there a "Reset" programme for the modem - HELP!!!
    >
    > David

    try your insurance company, you should be covered for storm damage and
    buy a new modem.
    graeme@invalid, Sep 6, 2004
  7. DavidLilley

    Pennywise Guest

    On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 17:45:32 +0100, "DavidLilley"
    <> wrote:

    |>Can anyone help? Following a recent thunderstorm my modem has been playing
    |>up - I can only connect to the Internet now if I disconnect then reconnect
    |>the telephone line. This is becoming a pain. If I don't do this, I get
    |>error messages when trying to connect (and all my phones go dead as well!!).
    |>Is there a "Reset" programme for the modem - HELP!!!

    Start >Run hypertrm (hyperterminal)
    once open type in ATZ <enter>
    you will see OK
    it's now reset.

    Note: you will not be able to see ATZ when you type it in but you will
    see the OK reply.
    Pennywise, Sep 7, 2004
  8. DavidLilley

    Pennywise Guest

    On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 20:49:09 +0100, "DavidLilley"
    <> wrote:

    |>That's exactly what seems to be happening - is there a way to fix it??

    Start >Run hypertrm (hyperterminal)
    once open type in ATH <enter>

    This will hang up your modem. I think I'd toss the sucker tho :)

    Pennywise, Sep 8, 2004
  9. DavidLilley

    arbo Guest

    You need to look at the phone line, if the wiring has come adrift then you
    get this problem, you get the same problem
    if you was to put a extention on the the phone line and wire it up wrong.
    All the best
    Arbo

    arbo, Sep 9, 2004
  10. Do you have cordless phones? I had the same problem. Phone company said
    disconnect all phones for 20 mins than reconnect. Worked for me.

    gary niskanen, Sep 9, 2004
  11. DavidLilley

    Plato Guest

    DavidLilley wrote:

    > That's exactly what seems to be happening - is there a way to fix it??

    Yes, buy a new moden as your's is fried. Next time protect it with a
    surge protector.
    Plato, Sep 9, 2004
  12. DavidLilley

    w_tom Guest

    First establish more details. For example, is phone line
    released when computer power is turned off? If not, the off
    hook relay may be stuck shorted. However a most common
    problem is created when the transient enters and exits AC
    electric to phone line. IOW to have damage, first a current
    must have entered and exited the modem. The most typically
    damaged area is the DAA section. The most typically damaged
    component to create your symptoms is a PNP transistor that
    drives the off hook relay.

    Pence for the transistor. Most complex part is to solder
    that little sucker. Not easy.

    Replacing the transistor is a short term solution. Long
    term solution is to learn why such damage happened and earth
    the destructive transient before it enters the building. Long
    term solution must be installed in/at master socket and where
    AC electric enters building. Details provided in "Pull the
    wall plug or not?" in nz.comp on 7 Sept 2004 at
    http://tinyurl.com/5ttwl

    w_tom, Sep 10, 2004