Modem problem

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by SomebodyElse, Jan 6, 2004.

  1. SomebodyElse

    SomebodyElse Guest

    A elderly aquaintance is having troubles with his modem.
    Usually if he tries to connect to the net straight away after turning his
    comp on it connects fine. If he tries to connect after the computer has
    been on for a while & has been used for other things (scanning/wp/games)
    it won't connect.

    Using Win98 with all critical updates installed.

    In the dial up box we get the message:
    Dialling....
    Failed to connect to remote computer. Could not detect modem. It may be in
    use, turned off, or not installed properly.

    Querying the modem when this has happened (Ctrl panel->Modem
    properties->diagnositcs->more info) I get told "Port already open"

    Restarting the computer usually fixes it (for a while)

    It says it's a: LT Win Modem
    I don't know chipset etc

    Its been doing this for a couple of months - ever since I did a fresh
    install after replacing the hard drive (old hd turned it's toes up)

    Initially I had a lot of trouble getting it going, although I now can't
    remember why.

    Can anybody shed any light on why this problem might be occurring, and
    what I can do to fix it? Or is the modem just on it's way out & need
    replacing?

    I just thought - at the time I replaced the hd I thought the old one died
    as a result of a power surge. If it was, it could have damaged the modem
    too couldn't it?

    Cheers
    Scott
    SomebodyElse, Jan 6, 2004

  2. SomebodyElse

    XPD Guest

    "SomebodyElse" <> wrote in message
    > A elderly aquaintance is having troubles with his modem.
    > Usually if he tries to connect to the net straight away after turning his
    > comp on it connects fine. If he tries to connect after the computer has
    > been on for a while & has been used for other things (scanning/wp/games)
    > it won't connect.

    What CPU/RAM ?
    LTwin are fairly reliant on the CPU to handle some of the load, altho I
    have had them running in quite old systems.... however they were running a
    "bare" os install with nothing else in the background using resources.
    Check to see what is running in the background etc and see if that helps at
    all.....
    XPD, Jan 6, 2004

  3. SomebodyElse

    Jerry Guest

    On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 14:44:09 +1300, SomebodyElse <>
    wrote:

    >A elderly aquaintance is having troubles with his modem.
    >Usually if he tries to connect to the net straight away after turning his
    >comp on it connects fine. If he tries to connect after the computer has
    >been on for a while & has been used for other things (scanning/wp/games)
    >it won't connect.
    >
    >Using Win98 with all critical updates installed.
    >
    >In the dial up box we get the message:
    >Dialling....
    >Failed to connect to remote computer. Could not detect modem. It may be in
    >use, turned off, or not installed properly.
    >
    >Querying the modem when this has happened (Ctrl panel->Modem
    >properties->diagnositcs->more info) I get told "Port already open"
    >
    >Restarting the computer usually fixes it (for a while)
    >
    >It says it's a: LT Win Modem
    >I don't know chipset etc
    >
    >Its been doing this for a couple of months - ever since I did a fresh
    >install after replacing the hard drive (old hd turned it's toes up)
    >
    >Initially I had a lot of trouble getting it going, although I now can't
    >remember why.
    >
    >Can anybody shed any light on why this problem might be occurring, and
    >what I can do to fix it? Or is the modem just on it's way out & need
    >replacing?
    >
    >I just thought - at the time I replaced the hd I thought the old one died
    >as a result of a power surge. If it was, it could have damaged the modem
    >too couldn't it?
    >
    >Cheers
    >Scott

    It's likely that some application is running that is using, or
    claiming the modem. Try trimming running applications, run msconfig,
    and get it down to as few applications as possible. Tho "port already
    open" message is a clur that something else is using it. Could be s
    fax program or something.

    Jerry
    Jerry, Jan 6, 2004
  4. SomebodyElse

    SomebodyElse Guest

    On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 14:51:31 +1300, XPD wrote:

    > "SomebodyElse" <> wrote in message
    >> A elderly aquaintance is having troubles with his modem.
    >> Usually if he tries to connect to the net straight away after turning his
    >> comp on it connects fine. If he tries to connect after the computer has
    >> been on for a while & has been used for other things (scanning/wp/games)
    >> it won't connect.

    > What CPU/RAM ?

    64MB RAM
    Unsure of cpu specs (didn't think to look!)

    > LTwin are fairly reliant on the CPU to handle some of the load, altho I
    > have had them running in quite old systems.... however they were running a
    > "bare" os install with nothing else in the background using resources.
    > Check to see what is running in the background etc and see if that helps at
    > all.....

    Pretty sure there's not a hell of a lot running in the background.
    Certainly nothing that I'd expect to be using the modem. Will check it out
    tho & prune startup programs - I'm sure he's got stuff loading at startup
    that don't need to. Ta.

    - Scott
    SomebodyElse, Jan 7, 2004
  5. SomebodyElse

    SomebodyElse Guest

    On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 18:49:15 +1300, Jerry wrote:

    > It's likely that some application is running that is using, or
    > claiming the modem. Try trimming running applications, run msconfig,
    > and get it down to as few applications as possible.

    Will do

    > Tho "port already
    > open" message is a clur that something else is using it.

    That's what I thought, but there's nothing obvious. Is it necessarily
    something trying to use the modem, or just the com port, or some other
    port?

    > Could be s
    > fax program or something.

    No fax programs running. Nothing else that I'd expect to use the modem.

    - Scott
    SomebodyElse, Jan 7, 2004
  6. In article <>,
    SomebodyElse <> wrote:

    >A elderly aquaintance is having troubles with his modem.
    >Usually if he tries to connect to the net straight away after turning his
    >comp on it connects fine. If he tries to connect after the computer has
    >been on for a while & has been used for other things (scanning/wp/games)
    >it won't connect.

    Just restarting clear the problem? Or does it actually have to be
    switched off for a while?
    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jan 9, 2004
  7. SomebodyElse

    SomebodyElse Guest

    On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 20:57:14 +1300, Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > SomebodyElse <> wrote:
    >
    >>A elderly aquaintance is having troubles with his modem.
    >>Usually if he tries to connect to the net straight away after turning his
    >>comp on it connects fine. If he tries to connect after the computer has
    >>been on for a while & has been used for other things (scanning/wp/games)
    >>it won't connect.

    > Just restarting clear the problem? Or does it actually have to be
    > switched off for a while?

    Restarting seems to fix it.
    I haven't been back yet to try some of the things others have suggested.

    - Scott
    SomebodyElse, Jan 11, 2004
  8. In article <>,
    SomebodyElse <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 20:57:14 +1300, Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> In article <>,
    >> SomebodyElse <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>A elderly aquaintance is having troubles with his modem.
    >>>Usually if he tries to connect to the net straight away after turning his
    >>>comp on it connects fine. If he tries to connect after the computer has
    >>>been on for a while & has been used for other things (scanning/wp/games)
    >>>it won't connect.

    >> Just restarting clear the problem? Or does it actually have to be
    >> switched off for a while?

    >Restarting seems to fix it.

    That suggests it could be a software rather than hardware problem.
    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jan 12, 2004