    find out which program is running?" I am using a Dell mellinum 2 puter
    and connect using dial-up. Thanks for your help.
    Bill

    Bill and Margie, Dec 7, 2007

  2. Bill and Margie

    Paul Guest

    Bill and Margie wrote:
    > When I try to make a connection I get a message that tells me that I
    > must (or may) already have a program running. My question is "how can I
    > find out which program is running?" I am using a Dell mellinum 2 puter
    > and connect using dial-up. Thanks for your help.
    > Bill

    OK, I played around a little bit. I'm using Process Explorer from
    sysinternals.com . Sysinternals was acquired by Microsoft, so the
    link leads here.

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/Processesandthreadsutilities.mspx?wt.svl=featured

    This is the file to download. Simply unzip, and then double-click on procexp.exe
    to run the actual program. There isn't an install procedure necessary.

    http://download.sysinternals.com/Files/ProcessExplorer.zip

    My antivirus software squeals a little bit, when I run it, as it fiddles
    with low level stuff in order to list the information it extracts. Running
    as Administrator probably helps as well.

    In the lower pane, you have a choice of showing DLLs or handles. Go to

    As a test, I started a copy of Hyperterm. It is a serial communications
    program, which can talk to COM ports. It came with Windows as far as I know.
    I have one COM port on this machine. I fired up Hyperterm, and discovered
    Hyperterm talking to "\Device\Serial0". If you were to go to the "Find"
    tab at the top, and search for a handle that matches "serial", then you
    should be able to snag any processes that talk to serial devices. At least,
    that is my best guess as to how you might go about figuring out which
    process has hijacked the COM port.

    For other OSes, your guess is as good as mine, as to what the name of the
    serial port might be. Process Explorer may not have been intended to work
    with older OSes, in which case I'm at a loss to suggest a tool that might
    do the same thing.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Dec 7, 2007

  3. Bill and Margie

    Paul Guest

    Paul wrote:
    > Bill and Margie wrote:
    >> When I try to make a connection I get a message that tells me that I
    >> must (or may) already have a program running. My question is "how can I
    >> find out which program is running?" I am using a Dell mellinum 2 puter
    >> and connect using dial-up. Thanks for your help.
    >> Bill
    >>

    > OK, I played around a little bit. I'm using Process Explorer from
    > sysinternals.com . Sysinternals was acquired by Microsoft, so the
    > link leads here.
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/Processesandthreadsutilities.mspx?wt.svl=featured
    >

    > This is the file to download. Simply unzip, and then double-click on
    > procexp.exe
    > to run the actual program. There isn't an install procedure necessary.
    >
    > http://download.sysinternals.com/Files/ProcessExplorer.zip
    >
    > My antivirus software squeals a little bit, when I run it, as it fiddles
    > with low level stuff in order to list the information it extracts. Running
    > as Administrator probably helps as well.
    >
    > In the lower pane, you have a choice of showing DLLs or handles. Go to
    >
    > As a test, I started a copy of Hyperterm. It is a serial communications
    > program, which can talk to COM ports. It came with Windows as far as I
    > know.
    > I have one COM port on this machine. I fired up Hyperterm, and discovered
    > Hyperterm talking to "\Device\Serial0". If you were to go to the "Find"
    > tab at the top, and search for a handle that matches "serial", then you
    > should be able to snag any processes that talk to serial devices. At least,
    > that is my best guess as to how you might go about figuring out which
    > process has hijacked the COM port.
    >
    > For other OSes, your guess is as good as mine, as to what the name of the
    > serial port might be. Process Explorer may not have been intended to work
    > with older OSes, in which case I'm at a loss to suggest a tool that might
    > do the same thing.
    >
    > HTH,
    > Paul

    There is a claim here, that a program like "Handle" from Sysinternals,
    can determine that a process has *some* COM port busy, but not which
    one (if used in Win98).

    http://www.powerbasic.com/support/forums/Forum4/HTML/014433.html

    It looks like downloading a program like "handle", opening a DOS
    window, and trying "handle -a serial" might come close to dumping
    some info. I just tried it in Win2K, and the filter term
    "serial" removes a lot of the cruft from the output. Note that handle
    will make reference to registry entries, if a program has a register
    entry open.

    Paul

    Paul, Dec 7, 2007