    When I check it says the port is already open or in use.
    How do I close it?
    Stan

    Stan, Mar 15, 2005

  2. Stan

    Wizard Guest

    Rose <> wrote:
    > On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 15:31:16 -0600, whilst I was lookin "Stan"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Windows 98
    >> Modem will not detect dial tone.
    >> When I check it says the port is already open or in use.
    >> How do I close it?
    >> Stan
    >>

    > It could be possible that something else is using the port

    Fucking DUH.

    > that you
    > want to so you might want to try and change the port number.

    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

    > Rose
    > http://xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/consult.htm
    > "Can you make money on the Internet?-YES!"

    Fucking spamming moll.

    Wizard, Mar 15, 2005

  3. Stan

    Rose Guest

    <> wrote:

    >Windows 98
    >Modem will not detect dial tone.
    >When I check it says the port is already open or in use.
    >How do I close it?
    >Stan

    It could be possible that something else is using the port that you
    want to so you might want to try and change the port number.

    Rose
    http://members.aol.com/Roseb441702/consult.htm
    "Can you make money on the Internet?-YES!"

    Rose, Mar 15, 2005
  4. Stan

    colin Guest

    "Stan" <> wrote in message
    > Windows 98
    > Modem will not detect dial tone.
    > When I check it says the port is already open or in use.
    > How do I close it?
    > Stan

    Hiya Stan

    What type of modem is it?
    ie- external, isa, pci, usb

    colin, Mar 16, 2005
  5. Stan

    Art Leonard Guest

    Is this a new condition? Was the modem ever working properly? I have seen
    this symptom with internal PCI win modems, LT, and HSP types at install. In
    my cases it was always that I had the wrong driver. When you query the modem
    from control panel what kind of response do you get? Do you have any other
    serial devices running? The plug n pray in Win 98 is not that good with
    modems, you frequently have to supply the correct driver. Closing the port
    probably has nothing to do with the problem, it is just a windows vague
    error message. A little more detail from you is going to help a lot.

    Good Luck
    Art Leonard

    Art Leonard, Mar 16, 2005
  6. Stan

    Plato Guest

    Stan wrote:

    > Windows 98
    > Modem will not detect dial tone.
    > When I check it says the port is already open or in use.

    It sounds like it got hit with a surge. Betcha it wasn't protected by a
    surge protector.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Mar 16, 2005
  7. Stan

    Carter Guest

    "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    > Stan wrote:
    > >
    > > Windows 98
    > > Modem will not detect dial tone.
    > > When I check it says the port is already open or in use.

    > It sounds like it got hit with a surge. Betcha it wasn't protected by a
    > surge protector.

    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

    --
    Carter