    --

    To reply to mail remove the obvious from
    the address. BobJ

    Bob Jackson, Aug 31, 2003

  2. Bob Jackson

    slumpy Guest

    threw back my head and roared with laughter as Bob Jackson continued:

    > I am trying to put together a backup PC from leftovers and i wish I
    > had never started. One of the many problems I have encountered is
    > with a Conexant HCF V90 56K Speakerphone PCI Modem, It refuses to
    > connect and in Device Manager/Properties I get - Error - Cannot read
    > Port name from Registry.
    >
    > In Device Manager COM1 and COM2 are there.
    >
    > Any help at all will be gratefully received - but be warned there is
    > probably more to come (maybe I should just have bought a bare bones
    > cheapie)
    >
    > BobJ

    Go spend £10 on a new modem.
    --
    slumpy
    no more

    slumpy, Aug 31, 2003

  3. Bob Jackson

    Bob Jackson Guest

    slumpy <> wrote in message
    > threw back my head and roared with laughter as
    >
    > Go spend £10 on a new modem.
    > --
    > slumpy
    > no more
    > no less
    > just slumpy

    Why? It will have to use the same Port and the same Rgirstry - and the
    Conexant worked fine 4 weeks ago before I started buggering about.

    BobJ

    Bob Jackson, Aug 31, 2003
  4. Bob Jackson

    °Mike° Guest

    Error Message: Cannot Read Port Name from Registry
    http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?id=kb;en-us;312487

    On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 17:40:31 +0100, in
    <bit8e2$ccp$>
    Bob Jackson scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Aug 31, 2003
  5. Bob Jackson

    Suenet Guest

    On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 17:40:31 +0100, Bob Jackson wrote:

    > I am trying to put together a backup PC from leftovers and i wish I had
    > never started. One of the many problems I have encountered is with a
    > Conexant HCF V90 56K Speakerphone PCI Modem, It refuses to connect and in
    > Device Manager/Properties I get - Error - Cannot read Port name from
    > Registry.
    >
    > In Device Manager COM1 and COM2 are there.
    >
    > Any help at all will be gratefully received - but be warned there is
    > probably more to come (maybe I should just have bought a bare bones cheapie)
    >
    > BobJ

    I put a 2.4 ghz Celeron P4 on an MSI Micro-ATX 845GE mobo with 512 megs of
    DDR ram and into a case that has a 500 watt supply for $300. I provided my
    own drives. The MSI mobo has AC'97 sound, Intel 854G/GE video, and Realtek
    ethernet device built in. This is my Red Hat 9 Linux box. I try to stear
    away from parts-pieces boxes as they have never been reliable for me.

    Suenet, Aug 31, 2003
  6. Bob Jackson

    Bob Jackson Guest

    °Mike° <> wrote in message
    > Error Message: Cannot Read Port Name from Registry
    > http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?id=kb;en-us;312487

    Thanks Mike - it looked good - tried it twice though and both times "When
    Windows restarts, the modem is detected" did not happen - so I tried a
    manual reinstall and the same result both times - although I cheated a bit
    by moving between COM1 and COM2.

    Thanks for trying

    BobJ

    Bob Jackson, Aug 31, 2003
  7. Bob Jackson

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 19:57:40 +0100, in
    <bitgf7$ifs$>
    Bob Jackson scrawled:

    >°Mike° <> wrote in message
    >> Error Message: Cannot Read Port Name from Registry
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?id=kb;en-us;312487
    >>

    >Thanks Mike - it looked good - tried it twice though and both times "When
    >Windows restarts, the modem is detected" did not happen - so I tried a
    >manual reinstall and the same result both times - although I cheated a bit
    >by moving between COM1 and COM2.
    >
    >Thanks for trying
    >
    >BobJ

    Check out the troubleshooting link at the bottom of that page.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Aug 31, 2003
  8. Bob Jackson

    Suenet Guest

    On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 21:38:54 +0100, °Mike° wrote:

    > On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 19:57:40 +0100, in
    > <bitgf7$ifs$>
    > Bob Jackson scrawled:
    >

    >>°Mike° <> wrote in message
    >>> Error Message: Cannot Read Port Name from Registry
    >>> http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?id=kb;en-us;312487
    >>>

    >>Thanks Mike - it looked good - tried it twice though and both times "When
    >>Windows restarts, the modem is detected" did not happen - so I tried a
    >>manual reinstall and the same result both times - although I cheated a bit
    >>by moving between COM1 and COM2.
    >>
    >>Thanks for trying
    >>
    >>BobJ

    > Check out the troubleshooting link at the bottom of that page.

    BWAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAH, what's wrong with the modem? :)

    Suenet, Aug 31, 2003
  9. Bob Jackson

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 16:58:56 -0400, in
    <>
    Suenet scrawled:

    >On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 21:38:54 +0100, °Mike° wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 19:57:40 +0100, in
    >> <bitgf7$ifs$>
    >> Bob Jackson scrawled:
    >>

    >>>°Mike° <> wrote in message
    >>>>

    >>>Thanks Mike - it looked good - tried it twice though and both times "When
    >>>Windows restarts, the modem is detected" did not happen - so I tried a
    >>>manual reinstall and the same result both times - although I cheated a bit
    >>>by moving between COM1 and COM2.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks for trying
    >>>
    >>>BobJ

    >> Check out the troubleshooting link at the bottom of that page.

    >BWAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAH, what's wrong with the modem? :)

    You tell me. What *is* wrong with the modem, fuckwit?

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Aug 31, 2003