    problems with W98 and modems before. Is it a common problem?

    Thanks

    SMB
    buffy, Nov 2, 2003

  2. buffy

    dr_hardware Guest

    "buffy" <> wrote in message
    news:bo3qmi$dgl$...
    > I've just reformatted my brother in laws computer (an old IBM Thinkpad

    600E)
    > and got the neccessary drivers from IBM for the Video, Audio(which work
    > great) and what I thought was the modem driver. However I just cannot get
    > the modem to work. W98 wont detect it, I've tried all the potential IBM
    > modems from the list (brother in law thinks it was an IBM Thinkpad modem)
    > and I've tried the generic modems from the list. If this was a PC i'd get

    in
    > the case, find out what it was and go from there but dare not do that with

    > laptop. Is there any way I can find out what the modem is without

    unscrewing
    > things? Any other advice you can give would be appreciated. I have had

    these
    > problems with W98 and modems before. Is it a common problem?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > SMB

    D/L and install AIDA32; this should be able to tell what kind of modem it is
    and even give you a link to the drivers. It's free for the personal
    edition:
    http://www.aida32.hu/aida-download.php
    dr_hardware, Nov 2, 2003

  3. buffy

    dr_hardware Guest

    "dr_hardware" <> wrote in message

    > "buffy" <> wrote in message
    > > I've just reformatted my brother in laws computer (an old IBM Thinkpad

    > 600E)
    > > and got the neccessary drivers from IBM for the Video, Audio(which work
    > > great) and what I thought was the modem driver. However I just cannot

    get
    > > the modem to work. W98 wont detect it, I've tried all the potential IBM
    > > modems from the list (brother in law thinks it was an IBM Thinkpad

    modem)
    > > and I've tried the generic modems from the list. If this was a PC i'd

    get
    > in
    > > the case, find out what it was and go from there but dare not do that

    with
    > > laptop. Is there any way I can find out what the modem is without

    > unscrewing
    > > things? Any other advice you can give would be appreciated. I have had

    > these
    > > problems with W98 and modems before. Is it a common problem?
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > SMB
    > >

    > D/L and install AIDA32; this should be able to tell what kind of modem it

    is
    > and even give you a link to the drivers. It's free for the personal
    > edition:
    > http://www.aida32.hu/aida-download.php

    Actually, I see all editions are free...depends on what you need to check
    :).
    dr_hardware, Nov 2, 2003
  4. buffy wrote:

    > I've just reformatted my brother in laws computer (an old IBM Thinkpad 600E)
    > and got the neccessary drivers from IBM for the Video, Audio(which work
    > great) and what I thought was the modem driver. However I just cannot get
    > the modem to work. W98 wont detect it, I've tried all the potential IBM
    > modems from the list (brother in law thinks it was an IBM Thinkpad modem)
    > and I've tried the generic modems from the list. If this was a PC i'd get in
    > the case, find out what it was and go from there but dare not do that with a
    > laptop. Is there any way I can find out what the modem is without unscrewing
    > things? Any other advice you can give would be appreciated. I have had these
    > problems with W98 and modems before. Is it a common problem?

    According to IBM's site about this TP's modem use in Linux....
    [ The ACP modem (Mwave) for Linux is a software based modem. ]
    [ It is composed of a loadable kernel module and a user level ]
    [ application. Together these components support direct ]
    [ attachment to public switched telephone networks (PSTNs) and ]
    [ support selected world wide countries. ]

    [ This driver provides support for the IBM ThinkPad ™ 600, ]
    [ 600E, and 770 models which contain the Mwave chipset. ]

    [ The modem also supports the standard communications port ]
    [ interface (ttySx) and is compatible with the Hayes AT ]
    [ Command Set. ]

    Since Win98 won't detect it, and it being a soft modem... I would HIGHLY
    suggest looking instead into a Hardware-based PCMCIA modem. Chances are
    the modem's simply shot.... Or should be.

    BuffNET Technical Support Supervisor
    (BEHOLD! The power of the BOFH!)
    BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ, Nov 2, 2003
  5. buffy

    Tony Guest

    "buffy" <> wrote in message
    > I've just reformatted my brother in laws computer (an old IBM Thinkpad

    600E)
    > and got the neccessary drivers from IBM for the Video, Audio(which work
    > great) and what I thought was the modem driver. However I just cannot get
    > the modem to work. W98 wont detect it, I've tried all the potential IBM
    > modems from the list (brother in law thinks it was an IBM Thinkpad modem)
    > and I've tried the generic modems from the list. If this was a PC i'd get

    in
    > the case, find out what it was and go from there but dare not do that with

    > laptop. Is there any way I can find out what the modem is without

    unscrewing
    > things? Any other advice you can give would be appreciated. I have had

    these
    > problems with W98 and modems before. Is it a common problem?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > SMB

    Talking from a PC point of view, I usually find that internal modems have
    to be installed when it is detected at boot up in W98 otherwise it won't
    allocate correct com port. Does it show in device manager?. If it is
    showing in device manager, delete it, reboot and have the driver ready on a
    disk for when it asks for it.
    Tony, Nov 3, 2003
  6. buffy

    Billh Guest

    Have you ever used this to find out what kind of hardware you have if
    Windows does not know what it is? I have only tried it once or twice and
    had no luck. Meaning I had an unknown device ran the software and it did
    not tell me what the unknown hardware was.

    Billh, Nov 3, 2003