    killed the phone line? A friend of mine was just told that,
    Personnally I thinks it's a load of ******.

    Gary

    Gary, Sep 16, 2004

  2. "Gary" <havinfun69(nospam)@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Anybody ever get told by the phone company that the computer modem
    > killed the phone line? A friend of mine was just told that,
    > Personnally I thinks it's a load of ******.

    How did they say the modem destroyed a phone line? I suppose anything is
    possible given some bizzare electrical conditions, but I'm sure they were
    blowing smoke up his ass.

    Patrick Michael, Sep 16, 2004

  3. Gary

    me Guest

    modem killing a phone line? Thats a new one on me

    me, Sep 16, 2004
  4. Gary

    oeiwruqwer Guest

    On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 22:12:51 GMT, Gary <havinfun69(nospam)@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >Anybody ever get told by the phone company that the computer modem
    >killed the phone line? A friend of mine was just told that,
    >Personnally I thinks it's a load of ******.

    I heard from a phone lineman that DSL boosters can cause some
    problems. Another lineman a few months ago told me a lightning strike
    can also ruin a phone line, usually in the immediate vicinity of the
    house.

    When I was having a second line installed into the house by Sprint, I
    had to get the technician to come out *THREE TIMES*. The first time
    he said there was a "problem at the switchboard" and he'd take care of
    it. Two weeks later the hum got so bad that another lineman was
    called out. He said he "fixed the problem". A week later the hum
    came back and the modem went down AGAIN (this is a dial-up line...too
    far out in the middle of nowhere for DSL, and the cable co wants an
    arm & leg for one-way, highly-unreliable 600 / 33.6 cable-modem).

    The THIRD time I got TWO phone linemen out here in a February ice
    storm. They FINALLY called someone at the switchboard, he switched a
    line over, and everything worked properly. What a pain in the ass.
    No wonder so many people are switching to wireless (even though the
    bills are $100+ / month higher). Oh well, at least it makes the
    land-lines more affordable ($15 / month).

    Dan

    oeiwruqwer, Sep 17, 2004
  5. Gary

    radical Guest

    "Barry Watzman" <> wrote in message
    >I don't think that you understand what wireless is.

    I think he was referring to cell over landline phones,which is what he
    states at the end of his post,do to the incompetence of the phone companies.

    radical, Sep 17, 2004
  6. Gary

    AG Guest

    > I don't think that you understand what wireless is. Wireless, as the
    > term is commonly used, is only from a "base station" WITHIN your house,
    > with a range of 50 to perhaps 200 feet. It itself connects to a WIRED
    > internet, and provides service to other computers within your house
    > (only, normally). It in no way eliminates the need for an analog, DSL,
    > satellite or cable modem internet provider.
    >
    > There is "cellular internet" but that's not what people normally mean
    > when they talk about "wireless internet".

    We're working on "wireless internet" in the town that I work in. We've got
    our first antenna up and we're broadcasting a full 1/2 mile radius around
    our office. We want to cover the entire town eventually and the surrounding
    areas.
    The new Wimax standard and equipment are probably going to make our lives
    much easier also.

    AG

    AG, Sep 17, 2004
  7. Gary

    AG Guest

    > Anybody ever get told by the phone company that the computer modem
    > killed the phone line? A friend of mine was just told that,
    > Personnally I thinks it's a load of ******.
    >

    > Gary

    I have seen a modem with a bent wire shorting out a phone line. I guess you
    could say that the modem "killed" the phone line in that case but as soon as
    it was unplugged the line went back to normal.
    The modem was bad, I'm not sure what exactly caused the problem as I just
    replaced it.
    AG

    AG, Sep 17, 2004
  8. On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 18:48:16 -0400, "me" <> wrote:

    >modem killing a phone line? Thats a new one on me

    An excuse or weird theory from a telephone company rep isn't, though.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Sep 17, 2004
  9. Gary

    Gary Guest

    On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 11:27:11 -0500, "AG" <> wrote:

    >"Gary" <havinfun69(nospam)@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> Anybody ever get told by the phone company that the computer modem
    >> killed the phone line? A friend of mine was just told that,
    >> Personnally I thinks it's a load of ******.
    >>

    >> Gary

    >I have seen a modem with a bent wire shorting out a phone line. I guess you
    >could say that the modem "killed" the phone line in that case but as soon as
    >it was unplugged the line went back to normal.
    >The modem was bad, I'm not sure what exactly caused the problem as I just
    >replaced it.

    >AG

    Thanks for all the great input on this issue.

    Gary

    Gary, Sep 18, 2004