    menu shows it on com3 and again "can't open port" etc etc.
    Is there a way I can resolve this without trying all the
    jumper combinations?

    jfwilson, Oct 14, 2003

  2. jfwilson

    Bret Guest

    On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 09:04:10 +1300, "jfwilson"
    <jfwilson(nospam)@paradise.net.nz> wrote:

    >I'm trying to install an old isa v1433vqh-r into a 200mhz
    >win98 system.
    >When I set the jumpers on the card to com 3 windows
    >diagnostic menu shows it on com4 and "can't open port"
    >So, I change the card jumpers to com4 and the diagnostic
    >menu shows it on com3 and again "can't open port" etc etc.
    >Is there a way I can resolve this without trying all the
    >jumper combinations?

    Set it to PnP, my Dynalink Isa modem has a jumper for PnP, I assume
    yours will.

    Bret, Oct 14, 2003

  3. jfwilson

    jfwilson Guest

    "Bret" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 09:04:10 +1300, "jfwilson"
    > <jfwilson(nospam)@paradise.net.nz> wrote:
    >
    > >I'm trying to install an old isa v1433vqh-r into a 200mhz
    > >win98 system.
    > >When I set the jumpers on the card to com 3 windows
    > >diagnostic menu shows it on com4 and "can't open port"
    > >So, I change the card jumpers to com4 and the diagnostic
    > >menu shows it on com3 and again "can't open port" etc etc.
    > >Is there a way I can resolve this without trying all the
    > >jumper combinations?
    > >

    > Set it to PnP, my Dynalink Isa modem has a jumper for PnP, I assume
    > yours will.

    It's already set to PnP. That might be part of the problem.
    Installing modems is a hit or miss exercise for me.
    I always feel lucky when they go first time.

    jfwilson, Oct 15, 2003
  4. jfwilson

    Invisible Guest

    On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 13:46:38 +1300, "jfwilson"
    <jfwilson(nospam)@paradise.net.nz> wrote:

    >"Bret" <> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 09:04:10 +1300, "jfwilson"
    >> <jfwilson(nospam)@paradise.net.nz> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I'm trying to install an old isa v1433vqh-r into a 200mhz
    >> >win98 system.
    >> >When I set the jumpers on the card to com 3 windows
    >> >diagnostic menu shows it on com4 and "can't open port"
    >> >So, I change the card jumpers to com4 and the diagnostic
    >> >menu shows it on com3 and again "can't open port" etc etc.
    >> >Is there a way I can resolve this without trying all the
    >> >jumper combinations?
    >> >

    >> Set it to PnP, my Dynalink Isa modem has a jumper for PnP, I assume
    >> yours will.

    >It's already set to PnP. That might be part of the problem.
    >Installing modems is a hit or miss exercise for me.
    >I always feel lucky when they go first time.

    Sometimes you have to install another comm port manually from the Add Hardware
    option, then the modem should latch itself to that port.

    Invisible, Oct 15, 2003
  5. jfwilson wrote:
    > "Bret" <> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 09:04:10 +1300, "jfwilson"
    >> <jfwilson(nospam)@paradise.net.nz> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'm trying to install an old isa v1433vqh-r into a 200mhz
    >>> win98 system.
    >>> When I windows
    >>> diagnostic menu shows it on com4 and "can't open port"
    >>> So, I change the card jumpers to com4 and the diagnostic
    >>> menu shows it on com3 and again "can't open port" etc etc.
    >>> Is there a way I can resolve this without trying all the
    >>> jumper combinations?
    >>>

    >> Set it to PnP, my Dynalink Isa modem has a jumper for PnP, I assume
    >> yours will.

    > It's already set to PnP. That might be part of the problem.
    > Installing modems is a hit or miss exercise for me.
    > I always feel lucky when they go first time.

    if it's set to plug n' pray, why do you "set the jumpers on the card to com
    3"?
    surely, PnP means just that.
    I assume you've got PnP enabled in the bios?

    Russell

    Russell Smithies, Oct 15, 2003
  6. jfwilson

    Lost Guest

    Turn PNP off & set it to Com2.

    Lost, Oct 15, 2003
  7. jfwilson

    Jack Guest

    Invisible wrote:
    > On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 13:46:38 +1300, "jfwilson"
    > <jfwilson(nospam)@paradise.net.nz> wrote:
    >

    >>"Bret" <> wrote in message

    >>>Set it to PnP, my Dynalink Isa modem has a jumper for PnP, I assume
    >>>yours will.

    >>It's already set to PnP. That might be part of the problem.
    >>Installing modems is a hit or miss exercise for me.
    >>I always feel lucky when they go first time.
    >>

    > Sometimes you have to install another comm port manually from the Add Hardware
    > option, then the modem should latch itself to that port.

    Also check the IRQ settings, usually you have to put another jumper on
    somewhere else to specify the IRQ, which has to be correct for that COM
    port, check the COM / IRQ settings in device manager.

    Jack, Oct 15, 2003
  8. jfwilson

    jfwilson Guest

    "Russell Smithies" <> wrote in message

    > if it's set to plug n' pray, why do you "set the jumpers on the card to

    com
    > 3"?
    > surely, PnP means just that.
    > I assume you've got PnP enabled in the bios?
    >
    > Russell

    I found the manual on the net and set the jumpers as per.
    It suggested com2 but post reported a conflict.
    I'll try again over the weekend. Thankyou all.

    jfwilson, Oct 16, 2003
  9. jfwilson

    Bret Guest

    On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 12:48:44 +1300, "jfwilson"
    <jfwilson(nospam)@paradise.net.nz> wrote:

    >"Russell Smithies" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> if it's set to plug n' pray, why do you "set the jumpers on the card to

    >com
    >> 3"?
    >> surely, PnP means just that.
    >> I assume you've got PnP enabled in the bios?
    >>
    >> Russell

    >I found the manual on the net and set the jumpers as per.
    >It suggested com2 but post reported a conflict.
    >I'll try again over the weekend. Thankyou all.

    Do you already have a com 2 ?
    Maybe you need to disable com 2 in BIOS ???

    Bret, Oct 16, 2003
  10. jfwilson

    jfwilson Guest

    "Bret" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 12:48:44 +1300, "jfwilson"
    > <jfwilson(nospam)@paradise.net.nz> wrote:
    >

    > >"Russell Smithies" <> wrote in

    message

    > >> if it's set to plug n' pray, why do you "set the jumpers on the card to

    > >com
    > >> 3"?
    > >> surely, PnP means just that.
    > >> I assume you've got PnP enabled in the bios?
    > >>
    > >> Russell

    > >I found the manual on the net and set the jumpers as per.
    > >It suggested com2 but post reported a conflict.
    > >I'll try again over the weekend. Thankyou all.
    > >

    > Do you already have a com 2 ?
    > Maybe you need to disable com 2 in BIOS ???

    I've got it sorted thanks Bret. Turned out the serial
    mouse connector was plugged into com2 on the
    motherboard. I put the mouse on 1, disabled 2, and
    sweet as. :)

    jfwilson, Oct 17, 2003
  11. jfwilson

    Bret Guest

    On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 16:32:37 +1300, "jfwilson"
    <jfwilson(nospam)@paradise.net.nz> wrote:

    >"Bret" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 12:48:44 +1300, "jfwilson"
    >> <jfwilson(nospam)@paradise.net.nz> wrote:
    >>

    >> >"Russell Smithies" <> wrote in

    >message

    >> >com

    >> >I found the manual on the net and set the jumpers as per.
    >> >It suggested com2 but post reported a conflict.
    >> >I'll try again over the weekend. Thankyou all.
    >> >

    >> Do you already have a com 2 ?
    >> Maybe you need to disable com 2 in BIOS ???

    >I've got it sorted thanks Bret. Turned out the serial
    >mouse connector was plugged into com2 on the
    >motherboard. I put the mouse on 1, disabled 2, and
    >sweet as. :)

    Good stuff :)

    Bret, Oct 17, 2003