    Using Win 2000, 56k modem, named above by Conexant

    Thanks
    Lee

    Lee Davison, Feb 5, 2004

  2. Lee Davison

    °Mike° Guest

    Can you communicate with the modem in the modem
    Control Panel applet?

    On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 19:11:38 +0000 (UTC), in
    <bvu4ha$1t3$>
    Lee Davison scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Feb 5, 2004

  3. Lee Davison

    Lee Davison Guest

    Yes, In the phone & Modems options button in the CP under the Modems tab I
    see MSP3880-w 56k Modem #2 Com 1. (I think maybe the #2 came from when I
    installed the same one twice yesterday whilst trying to figure out what was
    wrong)

    In the system properties, it says the device is working properly, although
    it does say location unknown.
    When I tried to connect just now, I got "unable to establish a connection"
    If it helps, you know how you can normally hear the phone line click before
    your modem dials? Well its not doing that either, and its not dialling.

    Thanks
    Lee

    Lee Davison, Feb 5, 2004
  4. Lee Davison

    °Mike° Guest

    I didn't ask if you can see it. I asked if you can communicate
    with it. In 'Properties / Diagnostics' press 'Query Modem'.

    On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 19:43:39 +0000 (UTC), in
    <bvu6da$6an$>
    Lee Davison scrawled:

    °Mike°, Feb 5, 2004
  5. Lee Davison

    Lee Davison Guest

    No, the modem cannot be communicated with. It says to check the interrupt
    for the port is set although I have no idea what this means..
    Thanks
    Lee

    Lee Davison, Feb 5, 2004
  6. Lee Davison

    °Mike° Guest

    You need to look in Device Manager for any IRQ conflicts.
    Before you do this, reboot and enter the BIOS. Disable
    the COM1 port. This should free up an IRQ. Save your
    settings and reboot into Safe Mode. Now, from Device
    Manager, delete all, repeat all, instances of any modem
    devices. Reboot back into Windows, and have your
    driver files ready. Oh, also check that the modem is
    connected correctly, and has a snug fit.

    On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 20:14:40 +0000 (UTC), in
    <bvu87f$au8$>
    Lee Davison scrawled:

    >No, the modem cannot be communicated with. It says to check
    >the interrupt for the port is set although I have no idea what this
    >means..
    >Thanks
    >Lee
    >

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> I didn't ask if you can see it. I asked if you can communicate
    >> with it. In 'Properties / Diagnostics' press 'Query Modem'.

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Feb 5, 2004
  7. Lee Davison

    Lee Davison Guest

    The modem must be physically OK as I am using it to connect now with my ME
    HDD plugged in. When I unplug that and plug in my 2K the modem wont connect.

    I think I may have noticed the problem. On my Win ME drive that Im using
    now, in system/device manager I have something listed as HSFMODEMWDM, which
    when opened shows a "MSP3880-w 56k PCI Modem Enumerator" This is in addition
    to a modem further down the list which says "MSP3880-w 56k Modem"

    When I looked in system / device manager on my Win 2000 system there is an !
    against "PCI simple communications controller" and when I try to reinstall
    drivers they cannot be found (code 28)

    Can anyone advise please, im not too computer literate.

    Thanks
    Lee

    Lee Davison, Feb 6, 2004
  8. Lee Davison

    tetleyone Guest

    Try the driver file from:
    http://members.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=77816
    User driver or drivers
    Password all

    !

    tetleyone, Feb 6, 2004
  9. Lee Davison

    °Mike° Guest

    Now go back and read my previous post again, carefully.

    On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 15:24:10 +0000 (UTC), in
    <c00biq$ju2$>
    Lee Davison scrawled:

    >The modem must be physically OK as I am using it to connect now with my ME
    >HDD plugged in. When I unplug that and plug in my 2K the modem wont connect.
    >
    >I think I may have noticed the problem. On my Win ME drive that Im using
    >now, in system/device manager I have something listed as HSFMODEMWDM, which
    >when opened shows a "MSP3880-w 56k PCI Modem Enumerator" This is in addition
    >to a modem further down the list which says "MSP3880-w 56k Modem"
    >
    >When I looked in system / device manager on my Win 2000 system there is an !
    >against "PCI simple communications controller" and when I try to reinstall
    >drivers they cannot be found (code 28)
    >
    >Can anyone advise please, im not too computer literate.
    >
    >Thanks
    >Lee

    <snip>

    --