    would really like to follow the practices closely.

    Should I be concerned that I'll not have the hands on experience with modems?

    btw... who the hell uses modems anymore!?!? :)
    ISApose, Dec 14, 2008

  2. "ISApose" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hello,
    >
    > I use Virtual Server to follow along with the practices in the 70-291.
    > The
    > RRAS chapters use modems in some of the practice tests.
    >
    > My Virtual Server hardware doesn't have any modems... should I just use
    > NICs
    > and not worry about the dialing configuration practices?
    >
    > I guess I could just read about the call back features for example, but I
    > would really like to follow the practices closely.
    >
    > Should I be concerned that I'll not have the hands on experience with
    > modems?

    Unless you're obsessed with the remote possibility of obtaining a perfect
    score,

    or you're not particularly concerned about the score itself, but just
    respectably passing the exam,

    my recommendation would be to simply skip over the dial-up-modem-based
    aspects of RRAS.

    > btw... who the hell uses modems anymore!?!? :)

    Probably nobody, but you have to put yourself in the perspective of the
    timeframe when the exams were written.

    Much of the MCSE:Windows Server 2003 exam content is simply "updated" exam
    content from the MCSE:Windows Server 2000 content, particulary that which
    did not significantly change between versions -- RRAS would be a prime
    example of this.

    Thus, the RRAS objectives likely date back to 1999/2000, and were simply
    carried forward without much practical review.

    In the end, I would imagine (and this is my philosphy in preparing for
    the -291, which I've not yet taken) that the real focus should be on the
    concepts and the administration, and the specific question of whether the
    physical topology is dial-up-modem, ISDN, LAN, or even wireless is probably
    of much less significance.

    In fact, to be entirely truthful, the entire RRAS product is pretty much
    dead weight these days.

    http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com
    Lawrence Garvin \(MVP\), Dec 15, 2008

  3. ISApose

    ISApose Guest

    "Lawrence Garvin (MVP)" wrote:

    > "ISApose" <> wrote in message
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > I use Virtual Server to follow along with the practices in the 70-291.
    > > The
    > > RRAS chapters use modems in some of the practice tests.
    > >
    > > My Virtual Server hardware doesn't have any modems... should I just use
    > > NICs
    > > and not worry about the dialing configuration practices?
    > >
    > > I guess I could just read about the call back features for example, but I
    > > would really like to follow the practices closely.
    > >
    > > Should I be concerned that I'll not have the hands on experience with
    > > modems?

    > Unless you're obsessed with the remote possibility of obtaining a perfect
    > score,
    >
    > or you're not particularly concerned about the score itself, but just
    > respectably passing the exam,
    >
    > my recommendation would be to simply skip over the dial-up-modem-based
    > aspects of RRAS.

    Thanks Lawrence, this helps a lot. I'm not really obsessing about a pefect
    score, it's just that I bombed the 291 the first time on the RRAS section and
    am freaking out about learning every aspect of it this time.

    > > btw... who the hell uses modems anymore!?!? :)

    > Probably nobody, but you have to put yourself in the perspective of the
    > timeframe when the exams were written.
    >
    > Much of the MCSE:Windows Server 2003 exam content is simply "updated" exam
    > content from the MCSE:Windows Server 2000 content, particulary that which
    > did not significantly change between versions -- RRAS would be a prime
    > example of this.
    >
    > Thus, the RRAS objectives likely date back to 1999/2000, and were simply
    > carried forward without much practical review.
    >
    > In the end, I would imagine (and this is my philosphy in preparing for
    > the -291, which I've not yet taken) that the real focus should be on the
    > concepts and the administration, and the specific question of whether the
    > physical topology is dial-up-modem, ISDN, LAN, or even wireless is probably
    > of much less significance.
    >
    > In fact, to be entirely truthful, the entire RRAS product is pretty much
    > dead weight these days.

    GO ISA!! :)

    ISApose, Dec 15, 2008
  4. "ISApose" <> wrote in message

    >> my recommendation would be to simply skip over the dial-up-modem-based
    >> aspects of RRAS.

    > Thanks Lawrence, this helps a lot. I'm not really obsessing about a
    > pefect
    > score, it's just that I bombed the 291 the first time on the RRAS section
    > and
    > am freaking out about learning every aspect of it this time.

    Ahhh!!... I see. Still, were you to encounter a question specifically
    involving the use of dial-up modems in RRAS, I'd be surprised if there were
    more than one. The functionality of RRAS isn't particularly different using
    modems than it is a LAN-based connection. I would imagine academic
    familiarity with the differences that involve dial-up technologies would be
    sufficient. Certainly there are no questions regarding modem diagnostics, or
    using the modem 'AT' command set.

    Note, also, that it's not impossible to simulate a modem connection between
    two virtual machines, but it's not particularly easy, either, unless you
    have pre-existing familiarity with serial port operations. If you have two
    COM ports on your system, you can assign a serial port to each VM, and use a
    null-modem cable to connect the two serial ports together. Now you have a
    simulation of a modem-based environment, albeit with the characteristic of a
    dedicated leased line, rather than using the PSTN.

    I doubt the effort is worth the reward, though. I would imagine your efforts
    would be better spent studying concepts and the actual administration
    interface. You won't be able to simulate modems (or LAN connections) in the
    testing environment either -- at best, on a simulation, you'd be asked to
    configured, diagnose, or repair an existing RRAS *configuration*, with the
    presumption that the physical data layer is functional (remember -- you're
    not being tested on modem diagnostics skills, only on *RRAS*).

    http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com
    Lawrence Garvin \(MVP\), Dec 15, 2008