    Also is there a patch I need to download that will work for Windows 98? It
    used to have NT 4.0 Thanks

    ....mfat
    Mfatoldsun, Nov 10, 2003

  2. Mfatoldsun

    Pepperoni Guest

    Look around at:
    http://www-3.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/
    hit the driver download link and supply the information required on the
    pop-downs. (will need "type" and model number)

    Try to identify the modem used on your PC and download the proper drivers.
    Some manufacturers will give full product details by model or serial number.

    Since your modem was not properly loaded, you may need to load some
    additional items from the communications group from your W98 disc to allow
    proper dialup.

    "Mfatoldsun" <> wrote in message
    > I have an IBM 300pl computer. I formatted the hard drive, installed

    Windows
    > 98. It works fine. I installed Internet Explorer, but I can`t dial up my
    > modem. It says "Modem is busy or not turned on" "can`t find modem, may not
    > be hooked up or installed properly" This computer has an internal modem.
    > During the instillation wizard, it had me choose from a list of what modem

    > have. I don`t know what one I have. Does any one know what modem comes

    with

    Pepperoni, Nov 10, 2003

  3. Mfatoldsun

    AOL.com Guest

    Download Belarc advisor and run it. It will tell you what type modem you have
    and what port it is on.
    I just ran it and it may not tell you what port it is on but will tell you what
    type modem you have.
    Richard
    AOL.com, Nov 10, 2003
  4. Mfatoldsun

    Mfatoldsun Guest

    Richard,
    Thanks. I installed Belarc Advisor and it says that my computer is:

    PC IBM 300pl Model 6862 27U
    128 MB Mem.
    For the Modems,

    IBM 14.4 Data Fax with DAA PCMCIA

    IBM 2400-9600

    I installed the listed modems in the "Connection Wizard" and still no luck.
    I also flipped them around because i`m not sure what port they are in. It
    still can`t detect the modem. I found a couple drivers I thought might do
    it, I downloaded them, installed them, and nothing changed. Is there a
    specific patch I should be looking for on the IBM page? Thanks again,

    ....mfat

    Mfatoldsun, Nov 10, 2003
  5. Mfatoldsun

    Sirius Guest

    > I have an IBM 300pl computer. I formatted the hard drive, installed

    Windows
    > 98. It works fine. I installed Internet Explorer, but I can`t dial up my
    > modem. It says "Modem is busy or not turned on" "can`t find modem, may not
    > be hooked up or installed properly" This computer has an internal modem.
    > During the instillation wizard, it had me choose from a list of what modem

    > have. I don`t know what one I have. Does any one know what modem comes

    with
    > the IBM 300pl? Is it in COM:1 or COM:2 ? Thanks to anyone that can help.
    > Also is there a patch I need to download that will work for Windows 98? It
    > used to have NT 4.0 Thanks
    >
    > ...mfat

    I've been installing old ISA modems without drivers recently on my computer
    and have trial, more trials and many errors have led me to this path:

    Copy W98 to HD in case CD drive disappears
    Remove any modems listed in control panel - modems
    Reboot
    Go to add new hardware in Control panel and let it detect. In my case it has
    to detect and install another com port - ie com 3 or com 4.
    Reboot
    Check that there is a com 3 or 4 now listed in device manager (if not then
    might as well give up)
    Go to modems in control panel and it will detect and install software for
    it.

    No guarantee this will work for yours and it probably reveals my ignorance
    but it might be worth a try.
    Sirius, Nov 11, 2003
  6. Mfatoldsun

    Mfatoldsun Guest

    Thanks for the advice. If in fact I have a bad modem, i`ll go wireless as I
    have a Linksys Wireless broadband router. What would be the best DSL
    wireless modem to get for that old computer? Thanks,

    ....mfat

    Mfatoldsun, Nov 12, 2003
  7. Mfatoldsun

    Larry Dugan Guest

    Mfatoldsun wrote:

    > Richard,
    > Thanks. I installed Belarc Advisor and it says that my computer is:
    >
    > PC IBM 300pl Model 6862 27U
    > 128 MB Mem.
    > For the Modems,
    >
    > IBM 14.4 Data Fax with DAA PCMCIA
    >
    > IBM 2400-9600
    >
    > I installed the listed modems in the "Connection Wizard" and still no luck.
    > I also flipped them around because i`m not sure what port they are in. It
    > still can`t detect the modem. I found a couple drivers I thought might do
    > it, I downloaded them, installed them, and nothing changed. Is there a
    > specific patch I should be looking for on the IBM page? Thanks again,
    >
    > ...mfat
    >
    > "AOL.com" <> wrote in message
    > > Download Belarc advisor and run it. It will tell you what type modem you

    > have
    > > and what port it is on.
    > > I just ran it and it may not tell you what port it is on but will tell you

    > what
    > > type modem you have.
    > > Richard

    If it is in fact a PCMCIA modem, it will be a small card plugged into the
    computer. You will have to load PCMCIA drivers before it will work (I had to do
    this with an older laptop). The drivers will use a lot of memory (at least they
    did on mine). You should be able to find the drivers on the makers web site, but
    you maybe better off getting a different modem.

    --
    "Congress shall never disarm any citizen, unless such as are or
    have been in actual rebellion."
    Larry Dugan, Nov 15, 2003
  8. Mfatoldsun

    Mfatoldsun Guest

    Thanks Larry. I`ll check for that card. Will it be in the back or will I
    have to take it apart to find it?

    ....mfat

    Mfatoldsun, Nov 15, 2003
  9. Mfatoldsun

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Mfatoldsun" <> wrote in news:XNqtb.20827$W6.20310
    @newssvr33.news.prodigy.com:

    > Thanks Larry. I`ll check for that card. Will it be in the back or will I
    > have to take it apart to find it?

    It should be sticking out of the side, usually the left

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
    DeMoN LaG, Nov 15, 2003
  10. Mfatoldsun

    Larry Dugan Guest

    DeMoN LaG wrote:

    > "Mfatoldsun" <> wrote in news:XNqtb.20827$W6.20310
    > @newssvr33.news.prodigy.com:
    >
    > > Thanks Larry. I`ll check for that card. Will it be in the back or will I
    > > have to take it apart to find it?

    > It should be sticking out of the side, usually the left
    >
    > --
    > AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
    > email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
    > website: under construction
    > email/IM for rates/services

    It could be either side. Mine was on the right side, toward the back.

    --
    [A] government resting on a minority is an aristocracy, not a
    Republic, and could not be safe with a numerical and physical
    Larry Dugan, Nov 16, 2003
  11. Mfatoldsun

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    Larry Dugan <> wrote in news:3FB7895E.BB3CAA76
    @midwest.net:

    > It could be either side. Mine was on the right side, toward the back.

    Which is the reason I said "usually the left", because in most laptops I've
    seen the PCMCIA slots are on the left, but a few are on the right.

    DeMoN LaG, Nov 16, 2003