Modem for Vista 64

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by XS11E, May 21, 2007.

  1. XS11E

    XS11E Guest

    Back many weeks ago I asked about Vista 64 compatible modems, couldn't
    find any drivers for my ancient Hayes WinModem. I looked at
    Microsoft's compatibility list but found the pickings were very thin.

    I finally admitted defeat and installed my USR Sportster external which
    was my absolute last choice for two reasons, I wanted an internal modem
    (no more power outlets!) and I use NetZero as a backup which doesn't
    work well with USR modems* but.... I didn't want to buy something that
    might or might not work so the USR is installed.

    The reason for this post is to praise USR, my Sportster is a very old
    one and it's NOT on MSFTs compatibility list nor would Vista 64 install
    it using included drivers so I went to USR's site and found Vista 32
    and Vista 64 drivers for a huge number of old, obsolete USR modems.
    The downloaded driver worked perfectly and all is well.

    So Kudos to USR, they're doing what we wish ALL manufacturers would do,
    supporting legacy hardware!

    *NetZero/Juno acknowledges the incompatibility problem with USR modems
    which causes low speed connections and, last I heard, have no intention
    of doing anything about it.
    XS11E, May 21, 2007

  2. Usually products are not placed on the compatibility list unless the
    manufacturer submits the product for testing and certification.

    You might want to let Microsoft know about your experience with this modem.
    Go to the following website to submit the feedback. Be sure to include the
    speciifc brand, model number and any other details about the modem. Also
    include the driver version as well as the URL for the website where you
    found the drivers.

    Send Feedback:
    http://feedback.windowsvista.micros...kurl=http://support.microsoft.com/gp/cp_vista

    --

    Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP

    Ronnie Vernon MVP, May 21, 2007

  3. XS11E

    Dale White Guest

    Funny enough, I just replaced an Internal USR model with an external one.
    The problem with this model, is that A it was a winmodem and B, even with
    USR supplied drivers, the modem would just disappear and Vista would report
    the modem is no longer there. Of course, the reason I hate Internal modems,
    was the only way to get that modem back, was to power cycle the PC (As a
    reboot alone never works).

    Something you might be interested in knowing, is the new USB based modems
    don't have a Power supply, they pull their power from the USB port. I had my
    doubts about not having external power, but the modem has worked better than
    the Winmodem every did (even under XP)

    I'm still shocked at the outageous cost of dial-up 56k modems. I could have
    bought the top of the line model for $90, which is what I paid for the top
    of the line model in 1995. Even the one I went with was $60, which is a bit
    high, but if you have tt have it, they have you by the dingleberries.

    In case you are in the need of an upgrade, I would recommend looking over
    this modem, has it does rid you of the power cord
    http://www.usr.com/support/product-template.asp?prod=5633b

    Dale White, May 21, 2007
  4. See http://www.usr.com/support/s-windows.asp for USRobotics driver chart and
    note "USRobotics supports, or will support in the near future, Windows Vista
    and Windows Vista 64-bit in all our currently shipping products."

    Dominic Payer, May 21, 2007
  5. XS11E

    XS11E Guest

    "Dale White" <> wrote:

    > I'm still shocked at the outageous cost of dial-up 56k modems.

    The main reason I installed the Sportster is that I already had it
    sitting on a shelf so the cost was $0.00 which I find an acceptable
    cost! ;-)

    I think the reason that dialup modems are so high is that sales are
    probably way down, most computers came with built in modems until the
    last couple of years and people who already have modems aren't looking
    to replace them. I only need a modem to send/receive FAXes and that's
    pretty seldom.
    XS11E, May 21, 2007
  6. XS11E

    bjr Guest

    I found a Vista 64 driver for my SM56 Motorola internal modem here:
    http://www.radarsync.com/vista/
    You might give it a shot.

    bjr, May 22, 2007
  7. Good information, and thanks for the report back. This highlights something
    that we've been saying here from the beginning - using super cheap
    "winmodem" or "host based printer" solutions that require specialized
    drivers is a bad idea if you like to be on the leading edge of technology.
    The catchup period of drivers can definitely be an issue. And a solution
    that takes all the smarts out of the device and requires that it be
    connected to a Windows computer is going to definitely require a specialized
    driver. It's why I also don't like USB connected DSL/Cable Modems. Bad idea.
    Go with an Ethernet connected modem that plugs into a Router/Gateway and you
    now have platform independence and no drivers required. Buy a printer that
    understands PCL and PS both, and has a network card built in, and you are
    assured of being able to use it on just about any OS out there. Buy a
    standard external modem (ie, "hayes compatible") and you're likely to be
    able to make it work. Or go with a company that has demonstrated that they
    care and provide drivers for their legacy devices, like USR in this case.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 22, 2007
  8. XS11E

    Tom Ferguson Guest

    I think the question in this instance involves a modem to connect
    through telephone lines to another such modem or front-end
    "concentrator", a communications hardware "bit" for a server farm rather
    than modem for Ethernet/ADSL For cable connection. However, some of the
    points you make remain valid, in particular, those concerning those
    modems or modem/router/switches that implement some functions in
    software rather than on-board hardware/circuitry.

    Tom
    MSMVP
    Windows Shell/User

    "Charlie Russel - MVP" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    Tom Ferguson, May 22, 2007
  9. XS11E

    XS11E Guest

    bjr <> wrote:

    > I found a Vista 64 driver for my SM56 Motorola internal modem
    > here: http://www.radarsync.com/vista/
    > You might give it a shot.

    Nothing there, I've looked there and many, many more places.

    But since I decided to install the USR modem I don't need any drivers,
    USR provides them as I said in the original post.
    XS11E, May 22, 2007
  10. XS11E

    XS11E Guest

    "Charlie Russel - MVP" <> wrote:

    > Or go with a company that has demonstrated that they care and
    > provide drivers for their legacy devices, like USR in this case.

    Amen! I also have to say nice things about Microtek, I have a
    ScanMaker V6upl which is a pretty obsolete scanner but Microtek has
    Vista 64 and XP 64 drivers. My Konica Minolta Magicolor 2400w isn't
    current but they provide drivers for Vista 64. Logitech is a class
    act, their Vista 64 driver created a conflict with Quicken, after going
    through tech support they emailed me they would replace the SetPoint
    software with an update that would resolve the conflict.

    I think we might share the good companies along with dissing the rotten
    outfits such as Epson that really don't care if your hardware works or
    not.
    XS11E, May 22, 2007
  11. Yes, Tom. I was merely extending out beyond just the simple modem issue to
    dealing with 64-bit in a more general way. If folks want/need to be on the
    bleeding edge of technology, as I certainly do, then they need to buy
    intelligently to avoid problems.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 22, 2007
  12. Oh, believe me, we all try to share the good ones. Those of us who have been
    here for >2 years have felt the pain of companies that can't be bothered to
    support their hardware. And recognized the ones that do.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 22, 2007
  13. XS11E

    XS11E Guest

    "Charlie Russel - MVP" <> wrote:

    > Yes, Tom. I was merely extending out beyond just the simple modem
    > issue to dealing with 64-bit in a more general way. If folks
    > want/need to be on the bleeding edge of technology, as I certainly
    > do, then they need to buy intelligently to avoid problems.

    Some of us, like myself, want to be on the bleeding edge of technology
    but are unwilling to buy ANYTHING! I want my legacy hardware to work!
    I did have to update my 10 year old 16MB video card in order to use
    Vista's visual effects (now all turned off as being annoying) but
    everything else is working. While my old Hayes modem wouldn't work my
    older USR is working fine. Go figure.
    XS11E, May 22, 2007
  14. XS11E

    Tom Ferguson Guest

    OK, I narrowly construed something you intended to be construed more
    widely.

    Interestingly and amusingly, Christopher Davies wrote a book called
    "Divided by a Common Language". It is a title probably derived from a
    frequently-used quote speaking of British and USA peoples which is
    usually attributed to either Oscar Wilde or George Bernard Shaw.

    As I meander, totally befuddled if not completely amused, through this
    pseudo-random, granular space we call life, I realize that I seldom
    completely understand anything anyone says or writes.

    Tom
    "Charlie Russel - MVP" <> wrote in
    message news:D...

    >>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Tom Ferguson, May 22, 2007
  15. Yes, we all want our legacy hardware to work. But, that being said,
    virtually all of my legacy hardware DOES work. And has since XP x64 shipped.
    Why? Because my legacy hardware was bought with future proofing in mind. My
    modem is external, and isn't a "WinModem". It's a modem that is equally
    useful in DOS, Windows 3x, Win9x, WinNT, Windows 2xxx, SCO UNIX, SuSe, or
    Ubuntu. Why? Because it's got a standard Hayes AT command set, _in the
    modem_. My printer? Yup, an HP LaserJet 1200 with an external HP JetDirect
    print server. And the printer does both PCL5 and PostScript _in the
    printer_, so it works with all of the operating systems listed above. My
    Internet connection? A DSL Modem and a Cable Modem, each with an Ethernet
    connection on the LAN side, connected to my dual-WAN router. Every single
    operating system listed works just fine, and knows nothing about the details
    my two ISPs think they should control. The router handles all that. Most of
    my older computers have Adaptec SCSI cards in them. Why? Because just about
    everything supports an Adaptec SCSI card, and Adaptec is really good about
    providing updated drivers for all their cards.

    You begin to see the pattern? In each case, I made a conscious decision to
    spend slightly more when I bought the hardware, knowing that it was very
    likely that I would be running some operating system on this network that
    was short on drivers - either because it was an old OS or was UNIX or was a
    beta OS or was a completely different architecture even. And that if I
    wanted to be able to use my hardware, I'd best not buy anything that
    required me to load some sort of applicatin in Windows before it would even
    work.

    If I had legacy hardware that didn't work, I certainly would be asking the
    vendor when they planned on providing drivers. But I'd also be making a note
    to myself to either avoid that vendor or avoid the particular hardware
    decision that had me ending up with something that isn't supported.

    It's certainly true that in some cases you can't avoid it - laptops are
    notorious problems since you're at the mercy of the laptop vendor in almost
    all cases. But when I bought my Acer Ferrari, I already knew that they
    supported XP x64, and was confident that they would support Vista 64.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 22, 2007
  16. XS11E

    XS11E Guest

    "Tom Ferguson" <> wrote:

    > Interestingly and amusingly, Christopher Davies wrote a book
    > called "Divided by a Common Language". It is a title probably
    > derived from a frequently-used quote speaking of British and USA
    > peoples which is usually attributed to either Oscar Wilde or
    > George Bernard Shaw.

    My favorite quote: "If the Brits can't learn proper English, let them
    get their own damn language!" <- Isaac Asimov
    XS11E, May 22, 2007
  17. Good point, Charlie!
    I have my ADSL modem via router/ethernet and don't have to worry setting up
    Internet connection ever.
    Still struggling with the HP Deskjet printers/scanners connected to USB in
    my PC and sharing it with the other PC's at home.
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, May 23, 2007
  18. Get a print server that can sit on the network. Much easier all around. I
    use this ancient (as in 10 years old, at least) JetDirect Ex, but there are
    now inexpensive wired and wireless print servers from a number of vendors.
    Some even support USB from the print server to the printer.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 23, 2007
  19. XS11E

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Mon, 21 May 2007 19:34:11 -0700, XS11E <> wrote:

    >I think we might share the good companies along with dissing the rotten
    >outfits such as Epson that really don't care if your hardware works or
    >not.

    I have the vague feeling that in some cases the reason why there are no
    drivers for newer versions operating systems, is that they want you to buy
    new hardware! Well, if that is what they want, I will buy new hardware, but
    not from them anymore :-D
    Companies which take their customers seriously, should be rewarded with
    buying their products, even if they are a bit more expensive, so they know
    they do the right thing. And Charlie's advice about future-proof hardware
    is worth gold!
    As for Epson, I have an Epson scanner, and I think that Epson was one of
    the first to release XP64-drivers for their scanners. And, those drivers
    are still being updated.

    jud
    Jud Hendrix, May 25, 2007
  20. XS11E

    XS11E Guest

    Jud Hendrix <> wrote:

    > On Mon, 21 May 2007 19:34:11 -0700, XS11E <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I think we might share the good companies along with dissing the
    >>rotten outfits such as Epson that really don't care if your
    >>hardware works or not.

    > As for Epson, I have an Epson scanner, and I think that Epson was
    > one of the first to release XP64-drivers for their scanners.

    I lost my $1,200 Epson scanner to Windows 2000, they refused to write a
    driver for it saying the 2 year old scanner was "too old".

    I'll never own another Epson product.
    XS11E, May 26, 2007