Modem driver too old.

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Joe J., Dec 18, 2009.

  1. Joe J.

    Joe J. Guest

    With all my hard drive, usb drives troubles; this annoying thing has been on
    the back burner. Everything seems fixed, knock on PC screen and want to see
    if anyone has an idea for fix. Every time I restart the computer, I now get
    the error message "Sorry the current modem driver is too old. Please try to
    get the latest modem driver"

    I have gone to device manager and it shows the modem working. I tried a
    disable and then re-enable. I've tried the diagnosis and it says the modem
    is working and communicating.

    I tried to reinstall a driver from my XP install disk and it says I have the
    latest.

    I tried Google but everything for driver updates seems to be a scam to get
    me to pay for a "free" computer/registry scan.

    It is a Broadxent D13631 which is now part of Creative Labs, but when I
    search them nothing comes up, current or in their archives files.

    I don't use the modem at the moment but am anticipating a situation in the
    future where I might need it for a short period of time and besides I'm
    getting tired of acknowledging the error each time.

    My last automatic windows update on 12/9 had about 8 different downloads and
    I'm not sure if this started after that update or not.

    Any thoughts?

    Joe

    Joe J., Dec 18, 2009

  2. How come you don't go the Website of the modem manufacturer and get the
    latest driver. Or, just go buy a new modem and get a current driver with it.

    Jeff Strickland, Dec 18, 2009

  3. Joe J.

    Joe J. Guest

    Joe J., Dec 18, 2009
  4. Joe J.

    JD Guest

    Joe J. wrote:
    > With all my hard drive, usb drives troubles; this annoying thing has been on
    > the back burner. Everything seems fixed, knock on PC screen and want to see
    > if anyone has an idea for fix. Every time I restart the computer, I now get
    > the error message "Sorry the current modem driver is too old. Please try to
    > get the latest modem driver"
    >
    > I have gone to device manager and it shows the modem working. I tried a
    > disable and then re-enable. I've tried the diagnosis and it says the modem
    > is working and communicating.
    >
    > I tried to reinstall a driver from my XP install disk and it says I have the
    > latest.
    >

    > I tried Google but everything for driver updates seems to be a scam to get
    > me to pay for a "free" computer/registry scan.
    >

    > It is a Broadxent D13631 which is now part of Creative Labs, but when I
    > search them nothing comes up, current or in their archives files.
    >
    > I don't use the modem at the moment but am anticipating a situation in the
    > future where I might need it for a short period of time and besides I'm
    > getting tired of acknowledging the error each time.
    >
    > My last automatic windows update on 12/9 had about 8 different downloads and
    > I'm not sure if this started after that update or not.
    >

    > Any thoughts?
    >

    > Joe

    Hi Joe

    Still P I assume ?

    I have never ever seen windows display this kind of Error Message:

    "Sorry the current modem driver is too old. Please try to get the
    latest modem driver"

    is it windows giving you this message or is it an application that was
    installed with the modem ?

    Since the message only appears when you reboot it sounds like 3rd party
    software (a dell application perhaps) that is checking the dates on the
    drivers, you could check your task manager for such programs if they are
    not displayed in your system tray (beside the clock)

    there is another useful program for checking what starts up with your PC
    its called HijackThis if your unsure of the readout post it here and we
    can take a look at it.

    Hijack this:
    http://go.trendmicro.com/free-tools/hijackthis/HijackThisInstaller.exe

    JD

    JD, Dec 18, 2009
  5. If you don't use the modem, then take it out. You have broadband or some
    other form of high speed connection, the modem is useless. And, the driver
    is old and not supported anymore.

    Jeff Strickland, Dec 18, 2009
  6. Joe J.

    Joe J. Guest

    "JD" <> wrote in message
    > Joe J. wrote:
    >> With all my hard drive, usb drives troubles; this annoying thing has been
    >> on the back burner. Everything seems fixed, knock on PC screen and want
    >> to see if anyone has an idea for fix. Every time I restart the computer,
    >> I now get the error message "Sorry the current modem driver is too old.
    >> Please try to get the latest modem driver"
    >>
    >> I have gone to device manager and it shows the modem working. I tried a
    >> disable and then re-enable. I've tried the diagnosis and it says the
    >> modem is working and communicating.
    >>
    >> I tried to reinstall a driver from my XP install disk and it says I have
    >> the latest.
    >>

    >> I tried Google but everything for driver updates seems to be a scam to
    >> get me to pay for a "free" computer/registry scan.
    >>

    >> It is a Broadxent D13631 which is now part of Creative Labs, but when I
    >> search them nothing comes up, current or in their archives files.
    >>
    >> I don't use the modem at the moment but am anticipating a situation in
    >> the future where I might need it for a short period of time and besides
    >> I'm getting tired of acknowledging the error each time.
    >>
    >> My last automatic windows update on 12/9 had about 8 different downloads
    >> and I'm not sure if this started after that update or not.
    >>

    >> Any thoughts?
    >>

    >> Joe
    >>

    > Hi Joe
    >
    > Still P I assume ?
    >
    > I have never ever seen windows display this kind of Error Message:
    >
    > "Sorry the current modem driver is too old. Please try to get the latest
    > modem driver"
    >
    > is it windows giving you this message or is it an application that was
    > installed with the modem ?
    >
    > Since the message only appears when you reboot it sounds like 3rd party
    > software (a dell application perhaps) that is checking the dates on the
    > drivers, you could check your task manager for such programs if they are
    > not displayed in your system tray (beside the clock)
    >
    > there is another useful program for checking what starts up with your PC
    > its called HijackThis if your unsure of the readout post it here and we
    > can take a look at it.
    >
    > Hijack this:
    > http://go.trendmicro.com/free-tools/hijackthis/HijackThisInstaller.exe
    >
    > JD

    OK, haven't used the modem in years. Dell has an accessory called driver
    reset tool and I tried that also...forgot to mention it.
    I ran hijack and here is the log:
    Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
    Scan saved at 5:23:06 PM, on 12/17/2009
    Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.6001.18702)
    Boot mode: Normal

    Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgchsvx.exe
    C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgrsx.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
    C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\AAWService.exe
    C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgcsrvx.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXPPS.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\Schedule2\schedul2.exe
    C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgwdsvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliPoint\point32.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
    C:\Program Files\Google\Gmail Notifier\G001-1.0.25.0\gnotify.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\Update Service\IntuitUpdateService.exe
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application
    Data\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\Update\AAWTray.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Pure Networks Shared\Platform\nmctxth.exe
    C:\Program Files\Pure Networks\Network Magic\nmapp.exe
    C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
    C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\jusched.exe
    C:\Program Files\D4\D4.exe
    C:\Program Files\Linksys\Linksys Updater\bin\LinksysUpdater.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG9\avgtray.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Lexmark X1100 Series\lxbkbmgr.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\java.exe
    C:\Program Files\Acronis\TrueImageHome\TrueImageMonitor.exe
    C:\Program Files\Norton Ghost\Agent\VProSvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Acronis\TrueImageHome\TimounterMonitor.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\Schedule2\schedhlp.exe
    C:\Program Files\Lexmark X1100 Series\lxbkbmon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    C:\Program Files\DellSupport\DSAgnt.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~2\NORTON~2\NPROTECT.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Iomega Quik Sync 2\quiksyncII.exe
    C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton GoBack\GBTray.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~2\NORTON~2\SPEEDD~1\NOPDB.EXE
    C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgnsx.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Webroot\Washer\WasherSvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Pure Networks Shared\Platform\nmsrvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Console\NSCSRVCE.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\realplay.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\OUTLOOK.EXE
    C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgcsrvx.exe
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\WINWORD.EXE
    C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllhost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\vssvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\MSIMN.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page =
    http://us.mc813.mail.yahoo.com/mc/s...2784e34e26c23fdeaa72f2446c115d&.jsrand=487771
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL =
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL =
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page =
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page =
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Microsoft
    Internet Explorer
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
    Settings,ProxyOverride = 127.0.0.1
    R3 - URLSearchHook: Yahoo! Toolbar -
    {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - (no file)
    O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} -
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
    O2 - BHO: WormRadar.com IESiteBlocker.NavFilter -
    {3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0} - C:\Program
    Files\AVG\AVG9\avgssie.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} -
    C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper -
    {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program
    Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
    O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - {E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C} -
    C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {CCC7A320-B3CA-4199-B1A6-9F516DD69829} - (no file)
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelliPoint] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft
    IntelliPoint\point32.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxtray] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxhkcmd] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxpers] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [{0228e555-4f9c-4e35-a3ec-b109a192b4c2}] C:\Program
    Files\Google\Gmail Notifier\G001-1.0.25.0\gnotify.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Ad-Watch] C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application
    Data\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\Update\AAWTray.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nmctxth] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Pure Networks
    Shared\Platform\nmctxth.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nmapp] "C:\Program Files\Pure Networks\Network
    Magic\nmapp.exe" -autorun -nosplash
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program
    Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\jusched.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Dimension4] C:\Program Files\D4\D4.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec
    Shared\ccApp.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG9_TRAY] C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG9\avgtray.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Lexmark X1100 Series] "C:\Program Files\Lexmark X1100
    Series\lxbkbmgr.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EssSpkPhone] essspk.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TrueImageMonitor.exe] C:\Program
    Files\Acronis\TrueImageHome\TrueImageMonitor.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AcronisTimounterMonitor] C:\Program
    Files\Acronis\TrueImageHome\TimounterMonitor.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Acronis Scheduler2 Service] "C:\Program Files\Common
    Files\Acronis\Schedule2\schedhlp.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program
    Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Window Washer] :C:\Program
    Files\Webroot\Washer\wwDisp.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Google Update] :"C:\Documents and Settings\joej\Local
    Settings\Application Data\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe" /c
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [DellSupport] "C:\Program Files\DellSupport\DSAgnt.exe"
    /startup
    O4 - Startup: ~Disabled
    O4 - Global Startup: Iomega Quik Sync 2.lnk = C:\Program Files\Iomega Quik
    Sync 2\quiksyncII.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Norton GoBack.lnk = C:\Program Files\Norton
    SystemWorks\Norton GoBack\GBTray.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: ~Disabled
    O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel
    present
    O8 - Extra context menu item: &AOL Toolbar search - res://C:\Program
    Files\AOL Toolbar\toolbar.dll/SEARCH.HTML
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel -
    res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\Office12\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} -
    C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
    O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} -
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\Shdocvw.dll
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} -
    C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 -
    {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network
    Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
    O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage
    Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204
    O16 - DPF: {30528230-99f7-4bb4-88d8-fa1d4f56a2ab} (Installation Support) -
    C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\Yinsthelper.dll
    O16 - DPF: {3451DEDE-631F-421C-8127-FD793AFC6CC8} (ActiveDataInfo Class) -
    https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/asa/ctrl/SymAData.cab
    O16 - DPF: {44990200-3C9D-426D-81DF-AAB636FA4345} (Symantec SmartIssue) -
    https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/asa/ctrl/tgctlsi.cab
    O16 - DPF: {44990301-3C9D-426D-81DF-AAB636FA4345} (Symantec Script Runner
    Class) -
    https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/asa/ss/sa/sa_cabs/tgctlsr.cab
    O16 - DPF: {56762DEC-6B0D-4AB4-A8AD-989993B5D08B} -
    http://www.eset.eu/OnlineScanner.cab
    O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) -
    http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1120227386906
    O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) -
    http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/muweb_site.cab?1120312455390
    O16 - DPF: {6E5A37BF-FD42-463A-877C-4EB7002E68AE} (Trend Micro ActiveX Scan
    Agent 6.5) -
    http://housecall65.trendmicro.com/housecall/applet/html/native/x86/win32/activex/hcImpl.cab
    O16 - DPF: {BDBDE413-7B1C-4C68-A8FF-C5B2B4090876} (F-Secure Online Scanner
    3.3) - http://support.f-secure.com/ols/fscax.cab
    O16 - DPF: {E06E2E99-0AA1-11D4-ABA6-0060082AA75C} -
    O18 - Protocol: linkscanner - {F274614C-63F8-47D5-A4D1-FBDDE494F8D1} -
    C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgpp.dll
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: avgrsstarter - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\avgrsstx.dll
    O23 - Service: Acronis Scheduler2 Service (AcrSch2Svc) - Acronis -
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\Schedule2\schedul2.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG Free WatchDog (avg9wd) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. -
    C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgwdsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation -
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec
    Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation -
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
    O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision
    Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel
    32\IDriverT.exe
    O23 - Service: Intuit Update Service (IntuitUpdateService) - Intuit Inc. -
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\Update Service\IntuitUpdateService.exe
    O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Sun
    Microsystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
    O23 - Service: Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service - Lavasoft - C:\Program
    Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\AAWService.exe
    O23 - Service: LexBce Server (LexBceS) - Lexmark International, Inc. -
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
    O23 - Service: Linksys Updater (LinksysUpdater) - Unknown owner - C:\Program
    Files\Linksys\Linksys Updater\bin\LinksysUpdater.exe
    O23 - Service: Intel NCS NetService (NetSvc) - Intel(R) Corporation -
    C:\Program Files\Intel\PROSetWired\NCS\Sync\NetSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Pure Networks Platform Service (nmservice) - Cisco Systems,
    Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Pure Networks
    Shared\Platform\nmsrvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Norton Ghost - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton
    Ghost\Agent\VProSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Norton UnErase Protection (NProtectService) - Symantec
    Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~2\NORTON~2\NPROTECT.EXE
    O23 - Service: Norton Protection Center Service (NSCService) - Symantec
    Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security
    Console\NSCSRVCE.EXE
    O23 - Service: Symantec SPBBCSvc (SPBBCSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Program
    Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Speed Disk service - Symantec Corporation -
    C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~2\NORTON~2\SPEEDD~1\NOPDB.EXE
    O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Unknown owner -
    C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Window Washer Engine (wwEngineSvc) - Webroot Software, Inc. -
    C:\Program Files\Webroot\Washer\WasherSvc.exe

    --
    End of file - 12312 bytes

    Joe J., Dec 18, 2009
  7. Joe J.

    > If you don't use the modem, then take it out. You have broadband or some
    > other form of high speed connection, the modem is useless. And, the driver
    > is old and not supported anymore.

    Same guy that told me to disable my floppy because I won't need it. Came in
    very handy today to boot into Dos and do the Bios upgrade.

    Joe

    Joe J., Dec 18, 2009
  8. "Joe J." <> wrote in message

    > "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote in message
    >> If you don't use the modem, then take it out. You have broadband or some
    >> other form of high speed connection, the modem is useless. And, the
    >> driver is old and not supported anymore.
    >>

    > Same guy that told me to disable my floppy because I won't need it. Came
    > in very handy today to boot into Dos and do the Bios upgrade.
    >
    > Joe

    Most machines sold today don't have a floppy drive, so odds favor you not
    needing it if you have one. You can boot to a bootable CD and get a DOS
    prompt. Odds favor your OS not being available on floppy, and not fitting
    the boot data onto a floppy if you wanted to create a bootable backup of
    your OS.

    The OP said that he does not use the modem AND the modem is causing him
    problems. Why keep legacy hardware that does not work anymore, especially
    when you can buy a new modem for virtual pennies and get a driver that
    works, or at least have support so you can _get_ drivers?

    Jeff Strickland, Dec 18, 2009
  9. Joe J.

    JD Guest

    Joe J. wrote:

    > OK, haven't used the modem in years. Dell has an accessory called driver
    > reset tool and I tried that also...forgot to mention it.
    > I ran hijack and here is the log:
    > Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
    > Scan saved at 5:23:06 PM, on 12/17/2009
    > Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    > MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.6001.18702)
    > Boot mode: Normal

    Quite a lot of stuff going on at startup, not to much out of the
    ordinary tho.

    It might be one of these causing it:

    > C:\Program Files\D4\D4.exe

    this is for "The Ultimate Troubleshooter" software, which is supposed to
    tune-up your pc

    > C:\Program Files\DellSupport\DSAgnt.exe

    > O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [DellSupport] "C:\Program Files\DellSupport\DSAgnt.exe"
    > /startup

    These two are for the DEll support software, if you got the modem with
    the pc then this might be causing the message, you can check these as
    you can run your dell software from the programs menu.

    to remove them with hijack this just check them and click fix, it only
    removes the startup entries it does not remove the software so you can
    still use the programs by selecting them manually.

    JD

    JD, Dec 18, 2009
  10. Joe J.

    Paul Guest

    James D. Andrews wrote:
    > "Joe J." <> wrote in message
    >> With all my hard drive, usb drives troubles; this annoying thing has been
    >> on the back burner. Everything seems fixed, knock on PC screen and want
    >> to see if anyone has an idea for fix. Every time I restart the computer,
    >> I now get the error message "Sorry the current modem driver is too old.
    >> Please try to get the latest modem driver"
    >>
    >> I have gone to device manager and it shows the modem working. I tried a
    >> disable and then re-enable. I've tried the diagnosis and it says the
    >> modem is working and communicating.
    >>
    >> I tried to reinstall a driver from my XP install disk and it says I have
    >> the latest.
    >>
    >> I tried Google but everything for driver updates seems to be a scam to get
    >> me to pay for a "free" computer/registry scan.
    >>

    >> It is a Broadxent D13631 which is now part of Creative Labs, but when I
    >> search them nothing comes up, current or in their archives files.
    >>
    >> I don't use the modem at the moment but am anticipating a situation in the
    >> future where I might need it for a short period of time and besides I'm
    >> getting tired of acknowledging the error each time.
    >>
    >> My last automatic windows update on 12/9 had about 8 different downloads
    >> and I'm not sure if this started after that update or not.
    >>

    >> Any thoughts?
    >>

    >> Joe
    >>

    > If you can navigate the website of the modem manufacturer, you SHOULD be
    > able to find the drivers you need available for download, though for older
    > equipment, some manufacturers simply stop supporting and don't even include
    > the model in their download section.
    >
    > You can also try www.driverguide.com
    > This site carries a gazillion different drivers. You can sign up for a paid
    > membership, or you can use the site free, but with limited access to
    > drivers. However, most older equipment is available for free.
    >
    > Just checked and they do carry a couple drivers for that particular piece.
    > Whether they are the most current or best for your system I can't say, but
    > they are there.

    The Broadxent site seems to be busted. It throws errors, once you get
    a certain depth into the site. Either using the Support stuff, or even
    looking at products. Maybe all the staff were fired or something :)

    http://www.broadxent.com/support/downloads.aspx?subcatid=588

    The Creative site has a driver page, but from 2003. It is the bottom
    link on the page. You have to check all of them, to figure that out.

    http://support.creative.com/Product...ID=9421&prodName=Broadxent & DSI Modem Di3631

    End result is this. 3,234,642 bytes

    http://ccftp.creative.com/manualdn/Drivers/COM/6979/DI3631WXPDrv.exe

    Which, I guess is better than nothing.

    Paul

    Paul, Dec 18, 2009
  11. Joe J.

    - Bobb - Guest

    how about choosing " roll back driver" in device details

    - Bobb -, Dec 19, 2009
  12. Joe J.

    Baron Guest

    Jeff Strickland Inscribed thus:

    > "Joe J." <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote in message
    >>> If you don't use the modem, then take it out. You have broadband or
    >>> some other form of high speed connection, the modem is useless. And,
    >>> the driver is old and not supported anymore.
    >>>

    >> Same guy that told me to disable my floppy because I won't need it.
    >> Came in very handy today to boot into Dos and do the Bios upgrade.
    >>
    >> Joe
    >>

    > Most machines sold today don't have a floppy drive, so odds favor you
    > not needing it if you have one. You can boot to a bootable CD and get
    > a DOS prompt. Odds favor your OS not being available on floppy, and
    > not fitting the boot data onto a floppy if you wanted to create a
    > bootable backup of your OS.
    >
    > The OP said that he does not use the modem AND the modem is causing
    > him problems. Why keep legacy hardware that does not work anymore,
    > especially when you can buy a new modem for virtual pennies and get a
    > driver that works, or at least have support so you can _get_ drivers?

    Have you tried to buy a dial up modem lately ? They are like getting
    rocking horse muck...

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.

    Baron, Dec 20, 2009
  13. Joe J.

    - Bobb - Guest

    - Bobb -, Dec 20, 2009
  14. Joe J.

    - Bobb - Guest

    If still an issue for OP and he knows that it USED to work.
    note the driver currently installed. ( how ? - see below and other than safe
    mode -do that under XP)

    Boot into safe mode
    go into control panel - system - device manager - click communications -
    click the modem ( drivers tab for what driver is installed), if the same
    device has had 3 drivers installed then it should list 3 drivers/names. If
    you know which is good - fine - then delete the other modems. If not , check
    each to see which driver is installed for each. ONE of them is right - right
    ?
    shutdown
    reboot
    It should find the device and offer a driver as well as others that are
    compatible.

    Unless windows DELETED/modified the original, the original should be listed
    there as an option. Also note - it might be in the DRIVERS folder, not the
    system folder etc. So knowing the name you WANT to find, do a search to see
    what folder it is in first.
    PS - It took longer to write this than it will take to do it, so don't be
    intimidated by this.

    - Bobb -, Dec 20, 2009
  15. Joe J.

    Joe J. Guest

    "JD" <> wrote in message
    > Joe J. wrote:
    >

    >> OK, haven't used the modem in years. Dell has an accessory called driver
    >> reset tool and I tried that also...forgot to mention it.
    >> I ran hijack and here is the log:
    >> Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
    >> Scan saved at 5:23:06 PM, on 12/17/2009
    >> Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    >> MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.6001.18702)
    >> Boot mode: Normal
    >>

    > Quite a lot of stuff going on at startup, not to much out of the ordinary
    > tho.
    >
    > It might be one of these causing it:
    >
    >> C:\Program Files\D4\D4.exe

    > this is for "The Ultimate Troubleshooter" software, which is supposed to
    > tune-up your pc
    >

    >> C:\Program Files\DellSupport\DSAgnt.exe

    >> O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [DellSupport] "C:\Program Files\DellSupport\DSAgnt.exe"
    >> /startup

    > These two are for the DEll support software, if you got the modem with the
    > pc then this might be causing the message, you can check these as you can
    > run your dell software from the programs menu.
    >
    > to remove them with hijack this just check them and click fix, it only
    > removes the startup entries it does not remove the software so you can
    > still use the programs by selecting them manually.
    >
    > JD

    Thanks JD! It turns out the D4 is Dimension 4 which is actually a
    clock-sync program. http://www.thinkman.com/dimension4/ The culprit was
    the Dell Support DS Agent. Disabled that and the modem warning is gone. I
    think I'm finally caught up. I even had time to clone and drop in a new HD
    on my wife's PC.
    Thanks for all your help!!

    Joe

    Joe J., Dec 22, 2009
  16. Joe J.

    JD Guest

    Joe J. wrote:

    > Thanks JD! It turns out the D4 is Dimension 4 which is actually a
    > clock-sync program. http://www.thinkman.com/dimension4/ The culprit was
    > the Dell Support DS Agent. Disabled that and the modem warning is gone. I
    > think I'm finally caught up. I even had time to clone and drop in a new HD
    > on my wife's PC.
    > Thanks for all your help!!
    >
    > Joe

    No problem, Have a good Christmas.

    JD

    JD, Dec 22, 2009
  17. Joe J.

    Yvan Hall Guest

    www.superaffiliate7.com

    Log on to Find out how you can make money by clicking my Web Site.
    You will find good Affiiliates for health products, such as EDTA-Oral
    Chelation,
    Apricot kernels for cancer treament, Other affiliates are for Computers,
    household products, Satellite TV (You may watch International Channel on
    your Computer),
    Download Commmercial Movies, Email, Free Horoscope.

    Yvan Hall, Jan 15, 2010
  18. Joe J.

    Yvan Hall, Jan 15, 2010