Modem/dial-up speed question

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Trent, Sep 27, 2003.

  1. Trent

    Trent Guest

    Scenario: Same computer, same ISP, same location

    OLD modem (NON Winmodem): connected at 19.2 to 21.6. Slow Internet browsing
    (no surprise there <g>). E-mail, sent and received, fairly speedy. Nothing
    really to compare it to.

    NEW modem (Winmodem, V.92 could not be enabled): connected at 24.0 to
    26.4?). Faster Internet browsing (not much but I could tell a difference).
    E-mail, sent and received was SOOO much slower than with old, slower modem.

    Nothing changed in the mail configuration section of OE. I've taken the new
    modem back It was flaky...didn't always connect, took longer to connect and
    the email sending and receiving issue was too bothersome. AND, stupid me
    wasn't paying enough attention to notice I'd bought a WINmodem.

    Can anyone explain why this slightly faster modem surfed faster but sent and
    received email slower?

    Thanks,
    Monica
    ..
    Trent, Sep 27, 2003

  2. Trent

    Spider Guest

    > Can anyone explain why this slightly faster modem surfed faster but sent and
    > received email slower?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Monica

    It could be the account in Outlook Express. Go to Tools / Accounts in OE and click on Properties. Then go to the server tab and copy the information down. (server names) Then go back to the Accounts tab and remove that account and add a new one in.

    Spider
    http://web.tampabay.rr.com/spider1

    --
    Composed with Newz Crawler 1.5 http://www.newzcrawler.com/
    Spider, Sep 27, 2003

  3. Trent

    Rob Guest

    http://www.techhowto.org/slowconnect.html
    How to resolve slow connection issues. Especially with 26.4k

    --
    Rob B

    Rob, Sep 27, 2003
  4. Trent

    HamMan Guest

    "Trent" <> wrote in message
    > Scenario: Same computer, same ISP, same location
    >
    > OLD modem (NON Winmodem): connected at 19.2 to 21.6. Slow Internet

    browsing
    > (no surprise there <g>). E-mail, sent and received, fairly speedy.

    Nothing
    > really to compare it to.
    >
    > NEW modem (Winmodem, V.92 could not be enabled): connected at 24.0 to
    > 26.4?). Faster Internet browsing (not much but I could tell a

    difference).
    > E-mail, sent and received was SOOO much slower than with old, slower

    modem.

    > Nothing changed in the mail configuration section of OE. I've taken the

    new
    > modem back It was flaky...didn't always connect, took longer to connect

    and
    > the email sending and receiving issue was too bothersome. AND, stupid me
    > wasn't paying enough attention to notice I'd bought a WINmodem.
    >
    > Can anyone explain why this slightly faster modem surfed faster but sent

    and
    > received email slower?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Monica
    > .

    you shouldnt be getting speeds that slow with any modem, i'm sitting here at
    49.2k/sec after removing all the old phones in my house and replacing them
    all with a cordless set. Before this i was at 33.6k

    Try plugging your PC into your master socket and if the speeds below 28.8k
    (and youre in the UK) you can get BT to replace the line
    HamMan, Sep 27, 2003